Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate biscuit cake

Options
  • 21-09-2012 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

HEY!!!
    I am taking part in a charity bake sale and what I want to do is make a 2 tiered chocolate bisuit cake covered in royal icing and decorated with various trinkets {iced flowers etc} my query is wat would be the best "glue" to keep the tiers together and the keep the decorations on it..:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

id suggest melted apricot jam to keep layers together (dunno if you'd need dowels) to glue the trinkets on ya can get edible glue for 3 euro, its very handy. If not, a simple sugar syrup can be used too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 tilt_rue

mmmmm apricot jam!!!!!thanks or that!!!:):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Are you just sticking the two tiers directly together without a board in between? If you are then I would use chocolate. Is the cake being raffled or being cut and eaten at the auction, it may be easier for cutting to put each tier on its own board. There will be no need for dowels for a 2 tier chocolate biscuit cake.

If you are covering the whole cake then in royal icing your decorations will stick to the royal icing. If you don't mind me asking why royal icing? It is an unusual covering for a chocolate biscuit cake.

phormium wrote: »
    Are you just sticking the two tiers directly together without a board in between? If you are then I would use chocolate. Is the cake being raffled or being cut and eaten at the auction, it may be easier for cutting to put each tier on its own board. There will be no need for dowels for a 2 tier chocolate biscuit cake.

If you are covering the whole cake then in royal icing your decorations will stick to the royal icing. If you don't mind me asking why royal icing? It is an unusual covering for a chocolate biscuit cake.

Well I've worked with royal icing before and I liked it. No its being eaten straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Fair enough I suppose if you like it, I'm partial to a bit of it on fruit cake myself, much prefer it to sugarpaste but I like when it has really dried hard, the contrast with the cake is nice. I like a chocolate sugarpaste on cbc if something is needed, a white chocolate ganache would be similar consistency to royal icing and would be good with it either, not as white though obviously.

If it's being cut up on the night then might be easier not to stick them together so that top tier can be lifted off easily and both can be cut separately or just lightly stick them in center to hold it together, the icing will keep them together anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jodina3

All you need is some stiff royal icing to stick everything together it works a treat every time. A nice blob of icing in the middle of first tier an place second tier on and then small blobs for trinkets. Happy decorating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Use the Royal icing will do a great job (thick enough not to run or drip)!

thanks for the advise. the cake went down a treat

Advertisement