Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driven Mad by VW Golf Electric problem

Options
  • 21-09-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

My 99 Golf, Mk iv 1.4 petrol is driving me crazy.
    Simply put there is no power.
    Battery is dead so all the following is done hooked up to jump leads and running second motor.

No ignition or dashboard lights. or any sign of life
    I have checked /replaced fuses.
    Now here's the weird bit.
    Occasionally it comes to electrical life, dashboard lights come on wipers go on and she seems ready to go.
    Turn the key to fire up the starter and click, nothing, starter doesn't even try.
    Completely dead again, no lights of any kind and she is back in a coma.

I thought that it may be a loose connection because I loosened the drivers side fuse panel and while checking connections on the back and making sure that fuses are all contacting correctly she lit up again.
    taking a deep breath I tried to start it, but again click and its lights out once more.
    I genuinely cannot afford to take it to a garage and it is just lying idle and deteriorating away. It drove just fine to its present site and just refused to wake up one morning.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Happen anyone else ? I reckon that if it is semi intermittent (if I could just get power going I could figure out the starter problem.)

I have scoured the web for solutions to no avail, any advice on something else I could check that the Boardsies could offer would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

could be bad battery connections.... check that battery is connected firmly, no loose connections, follow " + " wire, make sure, it goes to starter and alternator , no loose anywhere, also check " - " connection ... lead to gearbox .... or chassy .. make sure connections are clean , and no loose. ... as well make sure your battery is in good health.

Otherwise... bring to garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Try a new battery

Check the earths in the cabin and under the bonnet

Thank your stars its not French

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dieseljohnny

Look up volt drop testing

Id say you have an issue with the battery earth,

to check connect a lead of multi meter to the negative terminal of the battery and onto engine block,you should have zero volts.

or if you don't have a multi meter ....

Try connecting an extra jump lead from the engine block or gearbox to the negative terminal of the battery.

If thats not the issue more troubleshooting will have to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

The ignition switch on these gave bother and caused a lot of funny things to happen. Happened on a Leon I had and I had no lights or wipers. The part is not expencive, about 30 quid, but a lot of stripping has to be done to get at it, steering wheel etc off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

My Octavia is like this atm, was dead and last week i jumped it and went for a spirited (75bhp wheeeee) spin to recharge it, went out following day and dead again, pain in the ass tbh, when it goes dead it goes seriously dead, car just makes a sick noise when you open the door (Whuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :()

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

sean1141 wrote: »
    The ignition switch on these gave bother

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sounds like a problem with faulty ignition switch contacts. A VW favourite since ignition switches were invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

My Octavia is like this atm, was dead and last week i jumped it and went for a spirited (75bhp wheeeee) spin to recharge it, went out following day and dead again, pain in the ass tbh, when it goes dead it goes seriously dead, car just makes a sick noise when you open the door (Whuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :()

Thanks Supergurrier, that was most helpful! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

actually ignition switch could cause problems, my fathers car had same symptoms, and after replaced switch, all went good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

A spin won't recharge it - put on a charger and leave it overnight. Modern alternators will not bring up a totally flat battery and you're killing the alternator getting it to try to. Charger ftw. And probably a new battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could have a broken timing belt,
    I know extreme idea,
    But it would give impression of no power, Starter clicks can't turn engine

But unlikely, Really need to fit battery that you know is good,
    Check earth to chassis

Advertisement