Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual college recruitment drive

• 21-09-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Well done to DURC, who signed up 433 members this week; c'mon UCDRC, can you get 434 members? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sparks wrote: »
    Well done to DURC, who signed up 433 members this week; ................
    That's some recruitment drive. Well done.
    ................c'mon UCDRC, can you get 434 members? :)

Can see where this is going ..................

Challenge-accepted+%25281%2529.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Why isn't target/clay shooting available in more colleges :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

garv123 wrote: »
    Because people didn't found clubs there. Someone's looking to set one up in UCC now; there was some interest in UCG a while back but it didn't pan out. You need interested dedicated people in the club from both staff and students, practically speaking, for a shooting club to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

DCU has a clay shooting club I hear:) If we had one in UCD I'd join right up because I'm using the shotgun more than the rifle these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DU Rifle Club

A great year for DURC so far. We just finished writing up all the email addresses. It took 2 of us well over an hour but thats a pretty nice problem to have. We had a great bunch of people on the stand this year and they did a fantastic job in promoting the club to the college in general. I think in future the shocked exclamation "Trinity has a rifle club!" will be heard less often. Our existence at least will be known.

DCU have had a shotgun club for a few years now, as far as I know the only college shotgun club in Ireland. We hope to have some sort of combined competition with them this year, but thats still very much in the early stages. Perhaps in the future we will have a shotgun intervarsities if we can get some other colleges involved too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Perhaps in the future we will have a shotgun intervarsities if we can get some other colleges involved too.

Well, considering DURC currently has the shotgun colours trophy... :)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

To get real momentum in a college shooting club, you need to have club guns. Without club guns your opportunity for new club members is limited. That means getting buy-in from the college and the local Gardaí to square away the licensing details. It's not massively difficult but it takes some concerted effort from the people involved in the club. It can be tricky to get enough interested people together for long enough given the fast turnover in college.

To give an example, DURC works with DUCAC (the college sports body), the Buildings Office (who maintain the range and have some involvement with the licensing process), college security (who handle the security aspects) and the Gardaí in Pearse St. It's not hard, but it's the kind of administrative work that undergrads aren't usually keen on doing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Well done to DURC, who signed up 433 members this week; c'mon UCDRC, can you get 434 members? :)

Disgraceful , encouraging a gun culture like that in a college :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I am DCU bound myself next year as a mature student, Is it just a shotgun club they have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

My nephew signed on for Belfield Polytechnic.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I genuinely do hope UCD have had as good a sign-up of new students this year as we have. If they've got anything like it, the competition between the two colleges is going to be absolutely top notch this year. Plenty of high standards and records set last year, so let's thrash that this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

From my well placed source...UCD have signed up an Indian shooter who trains with/is a teammate of Abhinav Bindra or Gagan Narang.

That should lead to interesting scores! (Or maybe I misunderstood her...)

And of course they also have an air pistol shooter now who's on the Singapore national squad.

Healthy competition is always good for improving standards :) I can't wait to see the quality of the fresh blood we've got coming in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiGiD

And of course they also have an air pistol shooter now who's on the Singapore national squad.

Good thing DURC now has the current British Air Pistol champion as a member :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭.177

Congratulations to DURC, that's an impressive work. It's going to be a busy few weeks putting all those new shooters through the system!

UCDRC are close to 200 members; your typical students price elasticity of demand makes a €10 membership fee (min that all UCD sports clubs must charge) a more difficult sell.

We're very happy with how things are progressing so far and it should make an interesting year ahead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Very glad to hear it .177! Here's hoping for a very high standard of shooting in the colours this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Just think, When the Government gets their way and merges the two Universities, That will be some amount of shooters :D:P

And we'll get to use the TCD (minor)'s well equipped range full time! :p

Though DCU with Dundalk IT? I would have thought that DIT should have been the preferred choice.

*serious hat on*

600 regular shooters would be wonderful for the sport in Ireland.

Y'know that's how many you already have, right guys? :D

Regular ;) - I see from the classification list that we have 64 shooters who compete regularly - it'd be nice to see it in triple figures.

edit: and for my ranking to fall into single digits :p (though that would require me to get out of the office before 11 :D )

I shot regularly for almost five years (once or twice a week) before I ever even saw my first national competition, and I know people who've been in the club since I started who still haven't gone to competition despite putting more lead down the range than a fair few of our competitive shooters (think Frank for a start); if you want to know who's a regular shooter in the club, the NTSA national rankings aren't the right place to look :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Because people didn't found clubs there. Someone's looking to set one up in UCC now; there was some interest in UCG a while back but it didn't pan out. You need interested dedicated people in the club from both staff and students, practically speaking, for a shooting club to get going.

Sparks,
    By any chance have you any info on the person trying to set it up in UCC?
    That's where I study and would like to help that person.
    Mail me info if you have it.

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Sparks,
    By any chance have you any info on the person trying to set it up in UCC?
    That's where I study and would like to help that person.
    Mail me info if you have it.
    Don't have their contact info Hunter, but I've passed this on to someone who does...

PM sent...

Advertisement