Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematical Thinking

Options
  • 21-09-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I was supposed to put the title as "Mathematical Science", sorry.

Hi, I'm in 6th year at the moment and I'm pretty confused about the course "Mathematical Science" in UCD and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I was researching the course and it tells you that you do 4 subjects in the first year (Statistics, Mathematics, Applied and Computational Mathematics and Computer Science) and a few elective modules. But after year one I see no mention of Computer Science. Is there an option to keep on CS in your second year onwards or do you have to drop it?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm a Maths Science 4th year and I don't recall any in-programme Comp. Science options past 1st year. Unless they've changed the course around a bit or made the whole programme more flexible I don't think you can do any unless you choose them as electives. Furthermore the first year stuff was really basic so you probably won't learn much in the way of actual computer science, just basic logic and rudimentary programming.

Naturally some of the stuff you'd do ties into comp sci. insofar that you won't be lost if you do your own independent learning on the subject. However if you're looking into making it a part of your degree I don't think this is the route you'd want to take.

I heard they removed CAO denominated entry though or some mad craic like that. Not sure if that has any effect on the overall structure of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

You only choose one or two out of Introduction to Programming 1, Introduction to Programming 2 and Algorithmic Problem Solving.

I'd recommend sparing your brain cells and not taking Programming 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Ok, thanks for the replies. :)

Advertisement