Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit Cards and Stupidity

• 21-09-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Friend just told me he's going to put the new iPhone 5 on his credit card. This is despite the fact he regularly complains of being heavily indebted as it is.

I know a few others like this. Mostly clothes and nights out

Should there be an IQ test as part of a credit card application?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Jealous much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

It's not your money OP so maybe mind your own business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Bet you only have an Iphone 4. UR JUST JAYLUS!

It's not your money OP so maybe mind your own business?

It's not his friends money either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's an investment! iphones only go up in value. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Friend just told me he's going to put the new iPhone 5 on his credit card. This is despite the fact he regularly complains of being heavily indebted as it is.

It's that light and small!? I'm definitely going to get one!

*grabs credit card*

• Advertisement

Not like he's the only idiot who puts stuff on their card that they can't afford. My housemate is leaving the country next week and over the past 8 months has ran up over 8 grand in credit card debt. He has absolutely no intention of ever paying it back and the saddest thing is that most of it was spent on alcohol. He does nothing but sit at home all day drinking cans if cider and vodka.

Yet the thing is that there are plenty of people out there who have tens of thousands of debt from extravagant purchases that they are unable to pay back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

They're happy to pay the interest/maintain their payments and the financial institution in question is happy to give them the credit, so what business is it of yours?

Credit cards didn't break this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Not like he's the only idiot who puts stuff on their card that they can't afford. My housemate is leaving the country next week and over the past 8 months has ran up over 8 grand in credit card debt. He has absolutely no intention of ever paying it back and the saddest thing is that most of it was spent on alcohol. He does nothing but sit at home all day drinking cans if cider and vodka.

Yet the thing is that there are plenty of people out there who have tens of thousands of debt from extravagant purchases that they are unable to pay back.
    Look on the bright side, someone somwhere is counting a stack of money Visa sent them. For every loser, there's a winner.. "How would you like to pay for that Sir? Visa? Excellent..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Credit cards just make you think you have money.

Outside of using them to purchase things online, I don't use them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Saw a headline on a paper earlier this week, probably the Irish Daily Mail

2.5 billion in credit card debt in Ireland

Just adding that to the thread, that's all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

They're happy to pay the interest/maintain their payments and the financial institution in question is happy to give them the credit, so what business is it of yours?

Credit cards didn't break this country.

The people who go in over their heads on credit card debt are also the type of geniuses who think 100%+ mortgages are a great idea. Its an attitude of "spend as much as theyll let you borrow" regardless of ability to pay it back or if they need what theyre buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

It's just crazy.

Sent from my credit card.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Gotta give the guy credit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

As long as he pays it back in a month or two, whats the problem?

A few days ago an acquaintance of mine looked at me like I had two heads when I paid for something in a shop costing €11.99 with my DEBIT card.... Apparently he deals exclusively in cash and kept calling my debit card a credit card, I tried to explain the difference but it seemed whatever I said plastic was the devil, its a laser aswell not a visa debit, so no way he could have been confused, I couldn't believe this 20 something year old was this old school about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just write a cheque and ask the friendly manager in the local supermarket to cash it and tell him to give you a little while to cover it

Old skool credit :cool:

You get advanced cash, the manager knows you'll spend it there, everyone wins

The mammy did it on Saturdays. Yours probably did too

You need to be a local, won't work if the manager does not know you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would love to be there when the CC company catches up with him in Oz/Canada/wherever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I think the much more important question is:

"Does your friend know you think he's an idiot?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Heed this advice.

Never ever ever use a credit card to buy something you can't fly in or sleep on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

would love to be there when the CC company catches up with him in Oz/Canada/wherever

They do that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Maybe its just the way I was raised but I never understood the notion of spending money you don't have outside of a mortgage and even then I'd still be trying to save before applying for one to make the payment as small as possible

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Dean0088 wrote: »

The credit card companies would go out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Where To wrote: »
    Heed this advice.

Never ever ever use a credit card to buy something you can't fly in or sleep on.

A flying bed??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I bought a car on my credit card once. It was quicker than getting a loan, well the car was only €2500.

Where To wrote: »
    Heed this advice.

I buy everything with my credit card. I rarely use anything else. Funnily enough, I pay it off in full every month as well. Have done for years and years. Not everyones is a dope when it comes to cards. Used properly, they are a great tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A flying bed??? :confused:
    I always wanted a racecar bed

phasers wrote: »
    I always wanted a racecar bed

Put it on your credit card. Knock yourself out. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Pottler wrote: »
    I buy everything with my credit card. I rarely use anything else. Funnily enough, I pay it off in full every month as well. Have done for years and years. Not everyones is a dope when it comes to cards. Used properly, they are a great tool.

Just wondering how is it different when you use it like that to using a debit card then? Better insurance on big purchases online, but anything else?

Just wondering how is it different when you use it like that to using a debit card then? Better insurance on big purchases online, but anything else?
    I've both - use them for everything but the damage from a fraudulent transaction with the debit card would be a hell of a lot worse than with the Visa, so it's visa for those i don't know, laser for those I do. Laser leads direct to my bank account, Visa leads to a credit limit that I can swallow without blinking. I've had fun with fraudsters, got hit for 4k once on the Visa, but with Visa, you've a lot of recourse, Laser can be a pain in that regard. Visa also know me so well they now ring me straight away if any unusual transaction is posted - very good in that regard. I also get a new card very regularily as I buy a lot (100s of Ks) of stuff over the phone and have to give the number out to all and sundry. New card every few weeks or months has saved my a55 several times. Visa also means I can travvel at the drop of a hat and have money straight away without fluting around which helps.

Pottler wrote: »
    I've both - use them for everything but the damage from a fraudulent transaction with the debit card would be a hell of a lot worse than with the Visa, so it's visa for those i don't know, laser for those I do. Laser leads direct to my bank account, Visa leads to a credit limit that I can swallow without blinking. I've had fun with fraudsters, got hit for 4k once on the Visa, but with Visa, you've a lot of recourse, Laser can be a pain in that regard. Visa also know me so well they now ring me straight away if any unusual transaction is posted - very good in that regard. I also get a new card very regularily as I buy a lot (100s of Ks) of stuff over the phone and have to give the number out to all and sundry. New card every few weeks or months has saved my a55 several times. Visa also means I can travvel at the drop of a hat and have money straight away without fluting around which helps.

I think they're alot harder to get now. I've a good job, with a good bit of savings in the bank. Got turned down for two credit cards there when I decided to apply for one. Maybe it's for the best - I would have probably spent to the limit ad then only pay the minimum because sure I don't have to pay the full whack, and then be in debt for ever for an original small spend.

• Advertisement

I have 2, got the second cos it has a better rate
    I tend to clear all or > half the balance every month though, I'm definitely not a "pay the minimum" kind of person
    Find them pretty handy really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

It's that light and small!? I'm definitely going to get one!

*grabs credit card*

How come no burd is that enthusiastic about my light and small c0ck? Think i'll put an apple sticker on it. Then they'll love me.

How come no burd is that enthusiastic about my light and small c0ck?
    That's what they'd call in the trade as a 'low interest rate.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Just write a cheque and ask the friendly manager in the local supermarket to cash it and tell him to give you a little while to cover it

Old skool credit :cool:

You get advanced cash, the manager knows you'll spend it there, everyone wins

The mammy did it on Saturdays. Yours probably did too

You need to be a local, won't work if the manager does not know you

My local pub does that, come down with a cheque, the owner will take the price of 4 pints (which you'll get that night of course). 1 night I forgot my wallet and was going to head home to get it and he gave me the change of a €50 and told me to give it back the next time I was in (which I did of course).

My brother tells stories of when he worked in London that the landlord of the pub would cash the workers cheques for them, but only give them half then and give them the second half at closing time.

Clareman wrote: »
    My local pub does that, come down with a cheque, the owner will take the price of 4 pints (which you'll get that night of course). 1 night I forgot my wallet and was going to head home to get it and he gave me the change of a €50 and told me to give it back the next time I was in (which I did of course).

My brother tells stories of when he worked in London that the landlord of the pub would cash the workers cheques for them, but only give them half then and give them the second half at closing time.
    I live out rural, and it really doen't matter if I have money on me or not, I can wander in to any of the local shops/pubs penniless and get whatever I want. Once they know you're good for it and straight with money, it's all good. I always go back, I hate people who mess when it comes to paying, but if your name is good, you can get whatever you want on a nod. At this stage, if i ever go bad, I can do some serious damage on "tick"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Maybe its just the way I was raised but I never understood the notion of spending money you don't have outside of a mortgage and even then I'd still be trying to save before applying for one to make the payment as small as possible

It's not just you. I'm the same way and have the same attitude as this. If you want something, you save for it. If you can't save for it, you'll have to do without.

Apparently we all partied too, Johnmcdnl!

Did we fcuk!

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    It's not just you. I'm the same way and have the same attitude as this. If you want something, you save for it. If you can't save for it, you'll have to do without.

Apparently we all partied too, Johnmcdnl!

Did we fcuk!
    I've no idea what this has to do with credit cards? They are a form of payment. Who said it was money you don't have? I use the card to pay for stuff. I have the money in my account, I just don't want to go get it and carry it to you physically, so I use the card. Then I pay the nice people at Visa at the end of the month for the service they provide. I think some people have a strange idea about cards - "ohh, I can spend how much??? Lets go!". I max the fecker out daily a lot of the time, it's just a tool for moving money, it is not some magic ATM, unless you are dull-headed.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have 2, got the second cos it has a better rate
    I tend to clear all or > half the balance every month though, I'm definitely not a "pay the minimum" kind of person
    Find them pretty handy really

Even when I was applying for credit cards I was in two minds and was worried about getting into debt.
    I think I'm just not responsible enough for them,and would pay the minimum. Which in fairness is there to keep people in longer debt.

Advertisement