Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit Card - charged twice

Options
  • 21-09-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

got charged twice today when filling up at the petrol station. Put my card in the slot, put in my PIN, assistant said there was an error. he took out my card and then put it back in and asked me to put in my PIN again which I did, checked my balance and they've took 20 twice instead of once.

contacted the shop, they said theres no way this could of happened. I said, Im sure thats that what has happened as I have 2 receipts here, one which says Void on it, another where it doesn't. I also have proof on my statement where there is 2 charges on m debit card.

he said, that the manager would be there monday and I could call into the shop. my question is, should I just ring my bank tomorrow or should I just go into the shop monday and talk to the manager? fairly annoying tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

if you have one that says void and one that is charged then i would say you should contact the bank to query. the shop seem to have only charged you once. i would guess maybe the void one is pending on your account but will drop off in a few days?

just guessing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

Random wrote: »
    if you have one that says void and one that is charged then i would say you should contact the bank to query. the shop seem to have only charged you once. i would guess maybe the void one is pending on your account but will drop off in a few days?

just guessing though.

yeah good point. I think il ring the bank tomorrow anyway just to say what they say. would rather avoid the hassle of going in the shop to speak to the manager. be good if it just dropped alright, i hear that takes a good few days though.

thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's come up several times before on this forum (one very recent regarding a pub). The issue is between the petrol station and their bank. As far as you are concerned, your issue is with the Petrol Station (and unfortunately for you), it will be down to you to put pressure on the Petrol Station to get it sorted (or just refund you directly).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How can the petrol station chase the money if they don't have it, the customer's bank is holding the money? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you contact your bank and show them the void receipt and the completed receipt the should be able to either A) refund the money if it has debited your account or B) remove the hold and release the funds back into your account.

I do this for customers once or twice a week where I work (a UK bank in London).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nal wrote: »
    got charged twice today when filling up at the petrol station. Put my card in the slot, put in my PIN, assistant said there was an error. he took out my card and then put it back in and asked me to put in my PIN again which I did, checked my balance and they've took 20 twice instead of once.

contacted the shop, they said theres no way this could of happened. I said, Im sure thats that what has happened as I have 2 receipts here, one which says Void on it, another where it doesn't. I also have proof on my statement where there is 2 charges on m debit card.

he said, that the manager would be there monday and I could call into the shop. my question is, should I just ring my bank tomorrow or should I just go into the shop monday and talk to the manager? fairly annoying tbh.

If you're not in a major rush for it (aside from it being annoying), it will drop off the system in a few days and go back into your account.

It's happened me a few times.

Advertisement