Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Bark controllers, any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Considering a purchase of one of these to stop several neighbours dogs barking. .
    Can you buy these over the counter in Dublin?

I have seen the following one on line but it is quite pricey but recommended. I'm sure I could move it on once the dogs are "cured".

http://www.eurobarkcontrol.com/ie/a/stop-neighbor-dog-barking.htm?pk_campaign=Adwords-Bark-ENG-IE&pk_kwd=%2Bdog%20%2Bbark&gclid=CPK29IK_x7ICFYOL4Qod1xEADQ#page=Main-Tab

Oh yes! I know these ones, one of my neighbours has one. There are some real nuisance barkers in the neighbourhood.
    They got it, I think, about 2 years ago, and I still hear it going off to this day, because it has had absolutely no effect whatsoever on the barking dogs. In fact, if anything, it made them bark more. They're barking because they're bored out of their tree. The noise of this unit just seems to be another thing for them to react to.
    And, funnily enough, the sound of it going off one day actually made my own dogs start barking at it, even though they're not barkers and spend no time alone out in the garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

DBB wrote: »
    Oh yes! I know these ones, one of my neighbours has one. There are some real nuisance barkers in the neighbourhood.
    They got it, I think, about 2 years ago, and I still hear it going off to this day, because it has had absolutely no effect whatsoever on the barking dogs. In fact, if anything, it made them bark more. They're barking because they're bored out of their tree. The noise of this unit just seems to be another thing for them to react to.
    And, funnily enough, the sound of it going off one day actually made my own dogs start barking at it, even though they're not barkers and spend no time alone out in the garden!
    Is it the same model as the one on the link?

This one has a 45 day money back guarantee, if it doesn't work for me it would go back. Alternatively I could hook it up to an amplifier. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Good god i need something like this before i go clinically insane from the dogs around here. Following thread! :D

Is it the same model as the one on the link?

This one has a 45 day money back guarantee, if it doesn't work for me it would go back. Alternatively I could hook it up to an amplifier. .

To be honest, from a behavioural viewpoint, these things can't work in the long-term, no matter what the model. They act along the lines of a scarecrow for birds on grain fields, or those cool-looking red kite kites you can fly over freshly sown grain fields now. They almost always work to some extent at first, but the animals they're meant to deter almost always become habituated to them, and they stop working.
    The company is very clever in offering a 45 day money-back guarantee, because there's a reasonable chance the product will work for a few weeks. So, by the time you realise that it's not working any more, the guarantee is up!
    In short, from copious experience of helping owners who have a problem with barking dogs, there is no magic wand answer to barking dogs in the neighbourhood. The only really effective way of dealing with it is for the owner to take steps to stop it, by e.g. bringing the dog inside for more social interaction or at the times the problem is worst, giving the dog something to do when alone in the garden, exercising the dog more, putting the dog in daycare etc.
    In order to get owners to do this, it's probably going to take you to approach them and tell them there's a problem. Indeed, you approaching the neighbours is the first thing you'll be told to do if you decide to go legal with the problem. Some owners are mortified that there's been a complaint about their dog, others couldn't give a toss. For the latter, the legal route is probably the only one that stands a chance of working.
    Sorry not to be the bearer of good news on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

DBB wrote: »
    To be honest, from a behavioural viewpoint, these things can't work in the long-term, no matter what the model. They act along the lines of a scarecrow for birds on grain fields, or those cool-looking red kite kites you can fly over freshly sown grain fields now. They almost always work to some extent at first, but the animals they're meant to deter almost always become habituated to them, and they stop working.
    The company is very clever in offering a 45 day money-back guarantee, because there's a reasonable chance the product will work for a few weeks. So, by the time you realise that it's not working any more, the guarantee is up!
    In short, from copious experience of helping owners who have a problem with barking dogs, there is no magic wand answer to barking dogs in the neighbourhood. The only really effective way of dealing with it is for the owner to take steps to stop it, by e.g. bringing the dog inside for more social interaction or at the times the problem is worst, giving the dog something to do when alone in the garden, exercising the dog more, putting the dog in daycare etc.
    In order to get owners to do this, it's probably going to take you to approach them and tell them there's a problem. Indeed, you approaching the neighbours is the first thing you'll be told to do if you decide to go legal with the problem. Some owners are mortified that there's been a complaint about their dog, others couldn't give a toss. For the latter, the legal route is probably the only one that stands a chance of working.
    Sorry not to be the bearer of good news on this one!

What about the council?

I haven't thought of going down that route yet or approached other neighbours, i am sure they would be on for something done about it.

• Advertisement

What about the council?

I haven't thought of going down that route yet or approached other neighbours, i am sure they would be on for something done about it.

Yes, it's the local council you need to take legal action through. You must make the complaint in writing. They will respond and recommend that you can show that you have made reasonable efforts to resolve the problem at a local level, which means you've got to go and have a chat with the neighbours.
    I suppose the idea is that they're given a reasonable opportunity to remedy the situation before it goes official. If they ignore your reasonable request, and it then goes legal, the courts tend not to look too kindly on their failure to take action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Have you spoken to the neighbors. This is the first port of call. If my guys were being a nuisance i'd want to know. I check with my direct neighbors frequently and they are happy but if that was to change i'd appreciate knowing before anyone went to the council.

Advertisement