Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How bad is chicken for you?

• 21-09-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

A personal trainer in a pretty famous chain of gyms once told me that chicken turns to sugar once it gets into your body. Discuss. :pac:

I'd actually just like clarification about the effect of chicken on our body. Is it very bad for body-fat loss? He told me to substitute it with turkey instead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Eh, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that is complete rubbish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

whirlpool wrote: »
    A personal trainer in a pretty famous chain of gyms once told me that chicken turns to sugar once it gets into your body. Discuss. :pac:

I'd actually just like clarification about the effect of chicken on our body. Is it very bad for body-fat loss? He told me to substitute it with turkey instead.

That trainer is either a complete f*cking moron who should not be allowed work with a single client. Or you misinterpreted him.

If he said that and meant it, he's a thick c*nt. And I'm getting agitated at that because it's poisonous, stupid and ignorant.

Theoretically, in the absence of sufficient blood glucose levels, your body can turn ingested protein into "sugar" via gluconeogenesis, BUT, unless you're eating abour 10-15g of carbs daily, you don't need to worry about any of that.

...and if that was the case, the exact same thing would happen with turkey.

F*cking moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This is why personal trainers are personal trainers. And why they are not scientists.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

him: "What meats do you eat?"
    me: "most meats. I don't eat much fish. but I do eat chicken."
    him: "chicken won't be on your eating plan."
    me: "oh?"
    him: "chicken turns to sugar when it enters your body."
    me: "oh."
    him: "you'll be eating turkey instead."

I didn't carry on with his eating plan.

It was a PT in Educogym.

So, moving on from the PT's comment, are there any reasons chicken would be a particular hindrance in the pursuit of lower body fat?

• Advertisement

It was a PT in Educogym.
    'nuff said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

WHAT? Please tell me you made this up!

double GG wrote: »
    WHAT? Please tell me you made this up!

No, it actually happened. I posted word for word the actual conversation that took place. It was only a few months ago. I was very surprised at the time, but I didn't really investigate it any further until now. I also didn't stop eating chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe he meant chickatees? :pac:

photo%25288%2529.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Maybe he meant chickatees? :pac:

photo%25288%2529.JPG

Chickatees: they turn to sugar in your body!

(Get Tayto's marketing department on the phone, this slogan's a winner).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you bastards.. meat isn't defrosted yet and i am absolutely starving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Staring hurries it along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, moving on from the PT's comment, are there any reasons chicken would be a particular hindrance in the pursuit of lower body fat?

KFC

you bastards.. meat isn't defrosted yet and i am absolutely starving
    First in with Sir Digby Turkey Caesar!

endacl wrote: »
    First in with Sir Digby Turkey Caesar!

rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Sir Digby Sugar Caesar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chicken in no hindrance at all.
    It's pretty much just protein if it's not fried and skin is removed. Nutritionally, turkey is barely any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

What a ridiculous comment!

I would ring the gym and report him and also ask the manger what qualifications he has exactly?

Paying money for these people help ( some ain't cheap either) and they give you false information. God only knows what other crap he's filling his clients with

Educogym. Wouldn't that be tony quinn's outfit? Is he selling a special form of turkey compound these days...?

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comment!

I would ring the gym and report him and also ask the manger what qualifications he has exactly?

Paying money for these people help ( some ain't cheap either) and they give you false information. God only knows what other crap he's filling his clients with

It's the standard educo line. I've had clients say the same to me who used to train there.

...and when I asked them what the rational was, they never could explain it.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    It's the standard educo line. I've had clients say the same to me who used to train there.

...and when I asked them what the rational was, they never could explain it.

They also never got me to warm up or cool down - which, to me, was ridiculous. And for the following days, very painful. That alone set off alarm bells for me, but I never followed up on the chicken query till now.

They also never got me to warm up or cool down - which, to me, was ridiculous. And for the following days, very painful. That alone set off alarm bells for me, but I never followed up on the chicken query till now.

Cools downs after lifting do very little. Warms up are highly specific to the task at hand so something like lighter reps at a given exercise may have been sufficient

If you were being pushed to failure on resistance training, I'm not surprised you were sore!

The warm up/cool down that most people do is about as useful as doing nothing.

What was a typical workout/progression

Mellor wrote: »
    The warm up/cool down that most people do is about as useful as doing nothing.

What was a typical workout/progression

Actually, what I meant was stretches! I didn't mean to say warm-up/cool-down. We did absolutely zero stretching - neither before nor after exercising. And I don't know if you've ever attended an Educogym session but they work you pretty hard for half an hour. Stretching was an absolute must, but it wasn't even mentioned, not once.

Actually, what I meant was stretches! I didn't mean to say warm-up/cool-down. We did absolutely zero stretching - neither before nor after exercising. And I don't know if you've ever attended an Educogym session but they work you pretty hard for half an hour. Stretching was an absolute must, but it wasn't even mentioned, not once.

Stretching isn't a must...

Well, it is. But 90%+ of what you see ppl stretching in gyms is a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

http://www.elitesoccerconditioning.com/Stretching-Flexibility/DynamicStretchingvsStaticStretching.htm

Dynamic stretching is better

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Dynamic stretching is better
    I'm pretty certain that Hanley was referring to dynamic stretching and movement specific stuff.
    And The useless stuff mentioned that 90% of people do would be generic static stretching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Chicken in no hindrance at all.
    It's pretty much just protein if it's not fried and skin is removed. Nutritionally, turkey is barely any different.

Is chicken skin not good for you? I read that it was a rich source of Palmitoleic acid, an omega-7 monounsaturated fatty acid, that has beneficial health effects. :confused:

Squiggle wrote: »
    Is chicken skin not good for you? I read that it was a rich source of Palmitoleic acid, an omega-7 monounsaturated fatty acid, that has beneficial health effects. :confused:
    I said it it's pretty much just protein if the skin is removed. With the skin on its not just protein.

I didn't say it was unhealthy, choosing to eat the skin or not should prob depend of dietary goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The skin is the nicest part.

"I'm only eating the skin, so the chicken's up for grabs''

I'm pretty certain that Hanley was referring to dynamic stretching and movement specific stuff.
    And The useless stuff mentioned that 90% of people do would be generic static stretching.

Correct.

Precisely. I was in pain for days. It was a very intense workout, especially as they were treating me as a beginner, and stretching wasn't even mentioned. Not a word. It definitely was dodgy.

Precisely. I was in pain for days. It was a very intense workout, especially as they were treating me as a beginner, and stretching wasn't even mentioned. Not a word. It definitely was dodgy.

Ok, you don't know enough to know any better, but stretching would not have solved your problem.

If you're eating low kcal (as you do in educo) and training really hard to failure with resistance (as you do in educo), you WILL be sore. And stretching will not fix it.

I have many problems with Educo, but that isn't something I'd criticize them on.

Ok, you don't know enough to know any better, but stretching would not have solved your problem.

If you're eating low kcal (as you do in educo) and training really hard to failure with resistance (as you do in educo), you WILL be sore. And stretching will not fix it.

I have many problems with Educo, but that isn't something I'd criticize them on.

:confused: I'm not sure you know enough about me to say that. I usually do stretch when working out, and it alleviates much of the pain. I chose not to with Educo, because I wanted to follow their plan exactly and see how it worked out. It did not work out well, and I returned to stretching once I finished with Educo.

And I don't have many problems with Educo as I don't know much about them, but that is the one thing I do indeed criticise them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

:confused: I'm not sure you know enough about me to say that. I usually do stretch when working out, and it alleviates much of the pain. I chose not to with Educo, because I wanted to follow their plan exactly and see how it worked out. It did not work out well, and I returned to stretching once I finished with Educo.

And I don't have many problems with Educo as I don't know much about them, but that is the one thing I do indeed criticise them on.

Stretching had nothing to do with the soreness you felt. Therefore, Hanley is saying that is not a gripe he has with Educogym.
    Eat low calories plus train till failure = soreness. Stretch all you want before or after you are gonna be sore. Thats the point being made (i think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Also the chances are you are not sore after your own workouts because you are not pushing yourself as hard as you think you are. (not because of amount of static stretching you do).

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Stretching had nothing to do with the soreness you felt. Therefore, Hanley is saying that is not a gripe he has with Educogym.
    Eat low calories plus train till failure = soreness. Stretch all you want before or after you are gonna be sore. Thats the point being made (i think).

Correct. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Its lack of fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 S hall

Chicken is low in saturated fat so it is healthier as comparison to other snacks. If you consume too much of chicken then it can lead to weight gain.The best option is sea food like salmon which have omega-3 fatty acids which contains very less calories.

S hall wrote: »
    Chicken is low in saturated fat so it is healthier as comparison to other snacks. If you consume too much of chicken then it can lead to weight gain.The best option is sea food like salmon which have omega-3 fatty acids which contains very less calories.

What the bloody hell are you talking about?!

Just because it's low in n3 doesn't make something else better. You haven't looked at anything else than one meat source at potentially one meal. You can't justify a sweeping comment like that with reference to salmons omega 3 levels.

And it's certainly not lower in calories.

And it's VERY hard to eat excessive amounts of kcals from lean protein sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A personal trainer in a pretty famous chain of gyms once told me that chicken turns to sugar once it gets into your body.

Just did experiment for you ...

@22:17 blood glucose 5.1 mmol

1 x chicken breast ( nuked ) , took no insulin

@23:26 blood glucose 3.7 mmol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

S hall wrote: »

1. Something being "low in saturated fat" does not mean it's healthy.
    2. There is nothing wrong with saturated fat.
    3. Yes, you are correct, if you consume too much chicken then it can lead to weight gain. Similarly, if you consume too much lettuce, it can lead to weight gain. And also, if you consume too many football boots, it can lead to weight gain.
    4. Salmon is a great food, agreed. High in cholesterol and saturated fat also. But not low in calories (which still doesn't change it from being a healthy food).

how many football boots is too many though

i've been average 3-4 a day, they're just so delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭meijin

Frogdog wrote: »
    Similarly, if you consume too much lettuce, it can lead to weight gain.
    I seriously doubt it's physically possible to eat enough lettuce for any weight gain :D

15 kcal in 100g
    3000 kcal = 20kg :eek: :D

meijin wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it's physically possible to eat enough lettuce for any weight gain :D

15 kcal in 100g

THat's such a "I'm a hardgainer" attitude :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

meijin wrote: »

15 kcal in 100g

I dare you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Well I'm willing to give the lettuce a go, if you're willing to give the football boots a go? :D

Seriously though, if everyone ate 1 or 2 chicken breasts a day (preferably the free range, unprocessed, fresh type you can buy in a butchers) the health of the population would a lot better. You'd be sick of chicken, sure, but you'd be getting good quality protein and would remain fuller for longer.

Advertisement