Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Strain (FX) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I Just realized that the guy who plays Quinlan is the lead from Whitechapel...jaysus hes unrecognizable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A skipable episode...except I reckon it won't be long until Dutch finds a new jockey in Quinlan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Ok that was the first episode of all three seasons that was completely filler, nothing at all actually happened.
    Like seriously are you telling me that in the immediate 24 hours after the plane incident they didn't take the information from the black box?
    And are we actually to believe that FETs grandfather was a Jew killer alongside Eichhorst.
    Come on, if this is the best season 3 can come up with I don't think I'm going to waste my time with season 4.
    Oh and it's obviously Efs wife who is the new master, when's the last time we saw her.

And are we actually to believe that FETs grandfather was a Jew killer alongside Eichhorst...

I'm sure Nazi camp commanders gave their sidearm to prisoners...it sounds legit. :pac:

Good ep (flashback aside :mad:) but I'd like to have seen the boys in action for longer than a few seconds. Certain parts of the plot feel rushed yet other aspects are painfully drawn out - I'd happily have more screen time devoted to the masters rather than the kid but can that happen now...

Bambi wrote: »
    I Just realized that the guy who plays Quinlan is the lead from Whitechapel...jaysus hes unrecognizable

It only clicked this weekend that Setrakian = Walda "...firm tits and a tight fit" Frey.

• Advertisement

A skipable episode...except I reckon it won't be long until Dutch finds a new jockey in Quinlan.

Don't go backing any horses

Don't go backing any horses

What has happened to all the women that Eph rode? Wife - dead; Nora - dead; Blonde chick in D.C. - dead....if they kill off Dutch before that skidmark of a kid, I don't think I could watch anymore :(

What has happened to all the women that Eph rode? Wife - dead; Nora - dead; Blonde chick in D.C. - dead....if they kill off Dutch before that skidmark of a kid, I don't think I could watch anymore :(

Is the kid still in it really? Maybe I've just gotten so adept at skipping past bits with that little pox and his ma to get to the Steptoe and Son: Vampire hunters bit that I don't even notice when I do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is the kid still in it really? Maybe I've just gotten so adept at skipping past bits with that little pox and his ma to get to the Steptoe and Son: Vampire hunters bit that I don't even notice when I do it.

the kid hasnt appeared for a couple of episodes. long may that continue

Yeah, he's still there but hasn't been seen for the last 2 or 3 eps. I've started ffwding whenever there's a flashback or eph/dutch getting emotional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

That was a bit of a clear out episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sure was. Great stuff.

Finale next week.

I thought palmer had those UV lights in his office? Why didnt he use them?

Knew there was something hidden under yer man's blanket at the end but thought it'd be the nuke detonator. Eich is starting to annoy me with how his super-speed always saves his a$$. Why let him go? The master is hardly gonna play nice now, whether eich is alive or not, so why let him go?
    The scene on the bridge with the cops was predictable with a cheesy send-off...all that was missing was a one-liner before ignition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was a bit groan-inducing towards the end, personally I would have liked Eichorst to have pulled open the elevator door in desperation only to have one of Palmer's guys waiting in the lift to casually blow his head open with a shotgun. The character has reached his limit, there's only so many times you can take his superman-speed saving the day. With just one more season left, there's no real reason to hang onto so many characters. Still a pretty OK episode though and nice to see a bit of spring cleaning done.

Knew there was something hidden under yer man's blanket at the end but thought it'd be the nuke detonator. Eich is starting to annoy me with how his super-speed always saves his a$$. Why let him go? The master is hardly gonna play nice now, whether eich is alive or not, so why let him go?
    The scene on the bridge with the cops was predictable with a cheesy send-off...all that was missing was a one-liner before ignition.

Somewhat predictable but i thought the mayor wan would make it

Somewhat predictable but i thought the mayor wan would make it

Yeah, thought so too...you knew the expendables weren't going to be in it next week, but the 2 higher profile characters were a surprise. Now that I think of it, if the City is lost and the cops have fled/died, it's fitting to tie that end up.

It was a bit groan-inducing towards the end, personally I would have liked Eichorst to have pulled open the elevator door in desperation only to have one of Palmer's guys waiting in the lift to casually blow his head open with a shotgun. The character has reached his limit, there's only so many times you can take his superman-speed saving the day. With just one more season left, there's no real reason to hang onto so many characters. Still a pretty OK episode though and nice to see a bit of spring cleaning done.

I thought there would be someone in the elevator too...you'd think all exit routes would be covered.

Am I the only one who laughed out loud at eldritch busting out the shotgun? he might as well have hit him a spinning kick

Am I the only one who laughed out loud at eldritch busting out the shotgun? he might as well have hit him a spinning kick

Aha, no. I couldn't help myself, a dry chuckle escaped my lips before I even know it was happening, just so ridiculous and cliche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I can't remember if this has been explained but why hasn't Setrakian or any of his group told Feraldo about Palmer's involvement with the Master?

Surely they see that taking him off the battlefield hinders the Master's plans and even if they don't know that there are more shenanigans afoot that the guy needs to be locked up for what he done.

I'm only on episode 3 of season 3 (so no spoilers for what is to come please) but even if the gang can't prove it, Feraldo seems to trust both Goodweather and Fet enough that if they told her what they know that she'd at least send the cops to bring Palmer in.

And "three weeks ago" has been mentioned a few times. Is that really only long it has been since the plane landed?

Aha, no. I couldn't help myself, a dry chuckle escaped my lips before I even know it was happening, just so ridiculous and cliche.

He could only have topped it by growling "Suprise mother****a" when he threw the blanket off

I can't remember if this has been explained but why hasn't Setrakian or any of his group told Feraldo about Palmer's involvement with the Master?

Surely they see that taking him off the battlefield hinders the Master's plans and even if they don't know that there are more shenanigans afoot that the guy needs to be locked up for what he done.

I'm only on episode 3 of season 3 (so no spoilers for what is to come please) but even if the gang can't prove it, Feraldo seems to trust both Goodweather and Fet enough that if they told her what they know that she'd at least send the cops to bring Palmer in.

And "three weeks ago" has been mentioned a few times. Is that really only long it has been since the plane landed?

in the prologue for season 3 it does mention that it has only been a few weeks. this season takes place over about a week i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was a great ending to the season.

A black heart is right.

Looking forward to the final season now.

+1.

Going to a 10 episode a season format appears to work well for this. Keeps it moving along. Hopefully knowing it's the last season and it won't be till next Summer, the show can end well (by that I don't just mean a 'happy' ending..).

Lads, it was a pile of sh**te. The whole season was.

Yeah, that was good. A bit puzzled by the big firework - where it was rather than why it was set off.
    Was actually thinking that the box should have been chained up when they were walking it to the marina.

Maybe someone can explain to me why certain strig are immune to daylight and moving water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Yeah, that was good. A bit puzzled by the big firework - where it was rather than why it was set off.
    Was actually thinking that the box should have been chained up when they were walking it to the marina.

Maybe someone can explain to me why certain strig are immune to daylight and moving water?

It was foggy and overcast which is why they where out in day time, and they cant move over water by their own means, they need a human to transport them.

I'm assuming the nuke was placed in a Nuclear Power Plant and set off a chain reaction.

Book Spoiler about the Nuke
    In the book, the master has Palmer build nuclear plants on the birth grounds of the other boss Strigoi, which are spread all over the world, he then overloads them, killing them and plunging the earth into the "Eternal Night"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

That kid....seriously.

• Advertisement

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    That kid....seriously.

The problem is that him and that dose of a father have to be the least believable characters in recent memory, even for B movie doozie like this.

How many times can you have people who aren't actually retarded act like complete retards before the audience loses interest?

Given the way the books end the next series is going to be a right pain in the hole with both being rehabilitated.

The problem is that him and that dose of a father have to be the least believable characters in recent memory, even for B movie doozie like this.

How many times can you have people who aren't actually retarded act like complete retards before the audience loses interest?

Given the way the books end the next series is going to be a right pain in the hole with both being rehabilitated.

FFS spoilers please some of us haven't read the books.

FFS spoilers please some of us haven't read the books.

Spoiler alert: two characters that survived this season will be in the next season too. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I've no real problem with it from a story point of view as long as they follow through. Eph and Zach's story can only end one way and that's in tragedy even in the face of triumph. The kid is too far gone and will never grasp the reality of his situation, that's what they've established. If they renege on that in some way after nuking a mother ****ing city then it will indeed be a farce.

I've no real problem with it from a story point of view as long as they follow through. Eph and Zach's story can only end one way and that's in tragedy even in the face of triumph. The kid is too far gone and will never grasp the reality of his situation, that's what they've established. If they renege on that in some way after nuking a mother ****ing city then it will indeed be a farce.

Yeah...did the boy even know the nuke was moved? I thought he was setting it off with the intention of toasting himself and the man he couldn't stop asking about - even in that episode he wanted his dad.
    If they try to redeem him after nuking NYC, because he was sulking, that won't sit well with just about anyone. I'd allow for reconciliation between father and son if the boy eventually gets hanged for High Treason but dammit, I want to see it happen!

It was foggy and overcast which is why they where out in day time, and they cant move over water by their own means, they need a human to transport them.

I'm assuming the nuke was placed in a Nuclear Power Plant and set off a chain reaction.

Book Spoiler about the Nuke
    In the book, the master has Palmer build nuclear plants on the birth grounds of the other boss Strigoi, which are spread all over the world, he then overloads them, killing them and plunging the earth into the "Eternal Night"

Meh...foggy and overcast limits UV rays but a few vamps were able to move freely in light - 'cos the writers said so. But maybe I'm taking it too seriously :)
    The bomb went off at the statue of liberty, one of the worst places to do it for the required effect but the book-version sounds a lot better and more catastrophic. The TV scenario would only cause darkness for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I read the synopses of the book trilogy out of curiosity - looks like the TV show is going in a different direction. Also, some characters who survived the TV show are gone in the books (and vice versa). It's hard to know how much of the last book they will adapt.

The finale of this season was pretty great, though. The last season is going to be a TV highlight for me next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They're fvcked now like! Are they going to live in the sewers? Sure they'll be strigoi in no time down there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Mc Love wrote: »
    They're fvcked now like! Are they going to live in the sewers? Sure they'll be strigoi in no time down there!

Strigoi have no need to live down there now, they are the NWO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

the effect of the nuke has been greatly exaggerated.

Suitcase nuke has a yield of just 2 kilotons

Air blast radius (5 psi): 0.58 km (1.05 km²)

The blast wave won't get no where near manhattan

Simulation of blast here 2 kiloton ground burst at statue of liberty with a 15mph wind blowing towards manhattan
    shows fallout as well. A dose of under 100 rad will typically produce no immediate symptoms other than blood changes. 100 to 200 rad delivered to the entire body in less than a day may cause acute radiation syndrome, (ARS) but is usually not fatal. Doses of 200 to 1,000 rad delivered in a few hours will cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range
    http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&airburst=0&casualties=1&fallout=1&fallout_rad_doses=1,10,100,150&linked=1&kt=2&lat=40.6919486&lng=-74.0455485&hob_ft=0&fatalities=5&injuries=100&psi_1=382&rad_doses=1,10,100,150&zm=14

Keplar240B wrote: »
    the effect of the nuke has been greatly exaggerated.

Suitcase nuke has a yield of just 2 kilotons

Air blast radius (5 psi): 0.58 km (1.05 km²)

The blast wave won't get no where near manhattan

Simulation of blast here 2 kiloton ground burst at statue of liberty with a 15mph wind blowing towards manhattan
    shows fallout as well. A dose of under 100 rad will typically produce no immediate symptoms other than blood changes. 100 to 200 rad delivered to the entire body in less than a day may cause acute radiation syndrome, (ARS) but is usually not fatal. Doses of 200 to 1,000 rad delivered in a few hours will cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range
    http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&airburst=0&casualties=1&fallout=1&fallout_rad_doses=1,10,100,150&linked=1&kt=2&lat=40.6919486&lng=-74.0455485&hob_ft=0&fatalities=5&injuries=100&psi_1=382&rad_doses=1,10,100,150&zm=14

Uh, we're also led to believe that an alcoholic can just shake off his addiction when it suits him; that sometimes daylight kills strigoi and sometimes it doesn't (as the story requires) and that the boy who detonated the implausible nuke, did so because he was angry with his father for killing his vampire mother who tried to kill both him and his father within 5 minutes...suspension of reality is necessary for this otherwise enjoyable show.

Also forgot that this same boy, only a few days/weeks ago, watched his mother drink Nora...

• Advertisement

Uh, we're also led to believe that an alcoholic can just shake off his addiction when it suits him; that sometimes daylight kills strigoi and sometimes it doesn't (as the story requires) and that the boy who detonated the implausible nuke, did so because he was angry with his father for killing his vampire mother who tried to kill both him and his father within 5 minutes...suspension of reality is necessary for this otherwise enjoyable show.

I'd completely forgot that eph was a dipso, maybe losing the wig had a transformative effect

Nah, he got drunk sans hair too...he can control his addiction, I guess! Why don't all other alco's?

To be fair, not all alco's are drunken idiots stumbling around the place - some are just people who need to be constantly drinking or topping up, or just drinking regularly, rather than being battered at every opportunity. It does show him drinking in the show quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

That kid....seriously.

I've seen some foot stamping temper tantrums in my time, but one that nukes a city wins first prize!
    How many millennia on the naughty step do you get for that exactly?
    Still it was so utterly WTF? bonkers, like the rest of the show, you kind of have to let it go an laugh. The Strain is one of my guilty pleasure watches that affords me a few entertaining eye rolls, best watched with wine, lots of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Yes that kid has been an annoying little sh*t since day 1 and I would say the only reason he wasn't turned already is the Master cant stand him either! :D

This show is my guilty pleasure also. I really liked the gung-ho attitude of Fet, Angel and Gus. And I enjoyed being grossed out by the worms. I keep saying to myself this is the last one I am gonna watch, then the next episode shows up in Showbox and I find myself downloading it.
    :(
    At least there is only one more season left.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JReacher84

Yes that kid has been an annoying little sh*t since day 1 and I would say the only reason he wasn't turned already is the Master cant stand him either! :D

This show is my guilty pleasure also. I really liked the gung-ho attitude of Fet, Angel and Gus. And I enjoyed being grossed out by the worms. I keep saying to myself this is the last one I am gonna watch, then the next episode shows up in Showbox and I find myself downloading it.
    :(
    At least there is only one more season left.:cool:

Ah man that kid is beyond annoying, I think for the show, it would have been better had his mother hit the switch as eph is killing her. Or fallen on it, anything is better than seeing that little **** have a tantrum!

Teaser

Season 4 starts Sunday, July 16th in the States.

Teaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

What was it??? July 16 now seems a long way away. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement