Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Strain (FX) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Trailers shouldn't have spoilers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Didn't really enjoy the first episode. It was a bit fragmented or something? I can't put my finger on it. With all the wilderness stuff, they may as well call it The Walking Strain or something like that. I preferred Palmer as a human too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't either. I just don't buy into the setup as it's been laid out so far. Watchable, but I expected a much stronger opening based on the significance of last season's finale.

Anyway, this is the final season - so at least the fact that it has to be wrapped up makes it a little more compelling then it would be if it were an open-ended show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Strange episode, no sense of flow to it. Did the explain who "Charlotte" was or her story?

What happened to Dutch?

Didn't realize this was the final season so may as well stick with it

I found it very disjointed but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as they must know where they are going knowing it's the final season.

As long as that kid dies a cruel and horrible death I'll be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nice to Rhona Mitra pop up again! No idea who she is in the show though, bit late to be adding new characters I would have thought.

Not a great episode...found myself drifting in and out of it at times.

Episode 2 was a big improvement on the first one. It definitely did a better job of holding my interest and the story has a bit of direction now.

• Advertisement

Large improvement on the first. Interesting scenarios, better direction and story.
    I guess the master can't notice people of interest to him as easily or quickly as when he had less strigoi, still, i can't see one of the captives (won't name them) escaping now.

I think Eph will bone his new 'friend' within the next 3 episodes. He gets around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 4 starts Sunday, July 16th in the States.

Any return date for here yet?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any return date for here yet?
    No date set on Watch but the previous 3 have aired in Aug/Sept. I was always half-way through the season by the time it aired on tv.

Another great episode. Lots of stuff happening now.

I have a feeling that Zach will end up killing the Master at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

The bars of food that the humans are being given, are they soylent green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No date set on Watch but the previous 3 have aired in Aug/Sept. I was always half-way through the season by the time it aired on tv.

I think W/Watch have dropped

• Advertisement

<SNIP - Streaming chat not allowed, sorry>

Don't know what to make of that one...thought it would progress faster seeing that the end is nigh. 10 episodes this season (?) and they are still doing what they were doing last year.
    NY is still burning 9 months on☺

Good episode! Dutch's storyline is the best of them all imo. Tough situation to find yourself in but what choice does one have realistically?
    A week without Zach is a good week.
    Eph is back to his annoying old self again. Bald cvnt.

Why were the people on the hooks wearing jumpsuits - if they were supposed to be meat then they would not be dressed.
    I realise that the jumpsuits would hide the harness that was keeping the actors suspended on the hooks.

Why were the people on the hooks wearing jumpsuits - if they were supposed to be meat then they would not be dressed.
    I realise that the jumpsuits would hide the harness that was keeping the actors suspended on the hooks.
    My guess is that nudity is more offensive (and expensive) than seeing people being killed. They are allowed a certain number of 'bad words' per episode to keep the show within a certain rating.

Example: War of the Worlds film with Tom Cruise - showed people being disintegrated by lasers and implied, without explicitly showing, the aliens sucking the blood out of humans. Got a 12 rating.
    A film with boobs exposed will get a 16 rating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Haven't watched the latest episode but Ep3 in the Silo was utterly terrible I thought - so tacky and cheesy.

Did someone get paid to write this episode? I actually want the show to finish. I could live with the time-skipping and pointless flashbacks (oral sex scene was ridiculous) but ffs, how many times can dutch meet eich and escape unharmed? And Setrakian's presence wasn't known for the last 3 months by the all-seeing master?

Use the 49 mins on something more useful and entertaining...

Is Quinlan making eyes at Fet or Fets woman? Sometimes it's hard to tell? :D

Young Zak back on form. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

The payoff better be good at the end of this season

Overall its been crap so far

I haven't finished last nights episode yet, but it's hard to see how one working nuke is going to fix everything (especially in the next 4 episodes).

Just as well it's ending - I don't think it would have been renewed based on current form.

If they kill the Master, that will be the end of the stragoi. It may end with the humans losing. :D That would be preferable to the humans winning then at the very end there is an egg... or a worm.... that is lying in wait somewhere to start the whole cycle again.

As long the kid dies the most horrible tortuous bloody death I'll be happy with that and won't care who wins or loses.

The writing has gone to pot this season.

Finished the episode tonight. Pretty decent, I didn't mind it.

Looking forward to see Eichorst and Zach die horrible deaths.

I still don't see the point in the 1888 flashbacks. How Quinlan became a dick?

I feel that things are now funneling towards an endpoint. Finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this season has been really poor. that kids story is just so annoying. and no Dutch this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I havent watched this season at all, it went to **** last season. I read the books when they came out and its hardly a suprise the TV went down the ****ter given the source material

Is there any decent rat catcher and quinlan escapades this season?

Started watching ep 6 and turned off after a few mins. I'm not looking to find fault but ffs, a little bit of continuity wouldn't go astray.
    Ep 4: Eich promises the master he'll hunt down those responsible for the Philly attack.
    Ep 5: Eich finds out they've had Setrakian for 3 months, minutes before Eich is set on fire and Set. escapes.
    Ep 6: Eich, looking the same as ever, turns up in North Dakota.
    He travels 1600 miles, with no fcuking backup!, forgetting Philly, forgetting that Setrakian is being wheeled around NYC, finds 3 accomplices and suddenly needs help in finding people. I know i have to turn off my brain and allow for plot-holes, etc; but when you need to disengage the most of your brain to watch a show, it shows that the writers/producers/director haven't a clue or are just taking a big, steaming dump on the audience. I'll watch the last episode, just to see how it ends, but i don't care...and it's a shame, because the premise is great (think back to ep1) but they've really made a balls of it.

Would love to say i've enjoyed this thread but most of my posts are complaints, so i hope i haven't been too annoying for other users. Peace out (and long live Zack!).

Good episode (No 7). Great ending!

:eek::eek:

That's all I have to say about that. Wow.

That old man has more lives than a cat. :D
    I thought he was going to say: my name is Abraham Setrakian, you killed my father, prepare to die.
    :D:D

A masterclass in dragging out an ending....How can they possibly have another 2 episodes to go?

The only one I am curious about now is the mother of Gus. Is she still chained up somewhere? Or did I miss her release already?

A masterclass in dragging out an ending....How can they possibly have another 2 episodes to go?

The only one I am curious about now is the mother of Gus. Is she still chained up somewhere? Or did I miss her release already?

I thought she escaped!

Good to know. I can stop worrying about her now.
    I could not be arsed watching the whole season again to see what happened with her.
    TBH I found the whole situation with Gus and his Ma very sad. The fact he didn't just kill her even though she became a blood sucking vampire-thing. It would be great if she was the one to finally drain Zak. :D

Good to know. I can stop worrying about her now.
    I could not be arsed watching the whole season again to see what happened with her.
    TBH I found the whole situation with Gus and his Ma very sad. The fact he didn't just kill her even though she became a blood sucking vampire-thing. It would be great if she was the one to finally drain Zak. :D

Yeah, all i remember is him bringing her somewhere and then the police coming in and attacking gus, and his mother ran off. Can't recall if he found her, but it is the strain anything is possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I haven't noticed any major difference in this season in comparison to the previous. You have some brilliant mixed with the downright awful. In other words, more of the same. There's some laziness on display in terms of continuity but I don't think previous seasons have been a bastion of cohesive storytelling. The show is so utterly absurd I find it hard to be critical as I don't think they've ever taken themselves seriously.

I can admire the show for running with the audience's hatred for Zak by making him an even more deplorable little sh1t. Hopefully they don't lose their nerve in the last 2 episodes as his story only deserves to end in doom.

It was cool to see Sertrakian and Eichorst's fate sealed together, the one brief piece of storytelling the show managed to give us in a completed sense.

Pretty low-key episode. It just plodded along and killed off some more peripheral characters. I hope they're saving the best stuff for the finale next week. Despite a couple of decent cliffhangers leading into it, I have a feeling that I'll be disappointed.

Zack needs to die horribly.

Finding it very hard to watch I'm just grinding it out till the end now with a hope the kids dies horribly.

You guys realise the master has won already?
    Here we all are baying for the blood of a human child.
    :D

That scene between Eph and Zack was both brilliant and hilarious. Could never accuse Corey Stoll of not bringing it however. Does his best. I'd say he's looking forward to it finishing at this stage!

I'd give the finale a good 8/10. Who I expected to die, died. Who I suspected to survive, survived.

The last 15 minutes were great and there were some surprises.

I loved that flashback scene to the beginning.

After the master being so clever all along, he was an idiot for heading towards the nuke (after cleverly avoiding it last week).

Decent ending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Is it just me or does anyone else reckon Fet needs his won show? :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ah Jesus, Zack managed to actually bring a tear to my eye there. Fair play to him. The kid did well there with his last line.

Gruesome ending for Quinlan, was hoping he'd just be wiped out by the bomb but then that would have robbed us of Zack and Eph taking centre stage in winning the day in the end through their redemption.

Other than that, a pleasantly surprising uplifting ending. Was expecting every one to be wiped by the bomb in a protracted scramble of an ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Was hoping for a bi more badassery from Quinlan for his final showdown, even if it was just in the Empire State at the start.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else reckon Fet needs his won show? :)

Fet and Gus both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Dutch fixing the internet in the end from the cafe LOL , I think they where taking the piss out of themselves.

It was alright show , was not Dr zhivago or anything. They could have told the whole story in two or there seasons , cut out the good vampires and the flashbacks,

The first few episodes where very good , the mystery of it and the plane,

• Advertisement
Advertisement