Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Skies

Options
  • 21-09-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

What bright orange lights just flew over Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Wow, was that a meteor? Definitely not Chinese lanterns this time.

Looking at twitter people saw it in Liverpool 60seconds before we saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

That was nuts. Flew from east to west. Slightly faster than a low flying plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lh

Wow, was that a meteor? Definitely not Chinese lanterns this time.

Looking at twitter people saw it in Liverpool 60seconds before we saw it.

Was amazing, looked like something breaking up

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭onesoma

Yeah, trail of maybe 12 to 15 orange bright lights moving about as fast as a low plane or fast helicopter would, from east to west. In the northern part of the sky from my location - Shankill. Some of the lights were clustered or looked to be breaking apart from clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That was unreal. Bright light appears in the sky the height of an airplane, at first it looked like an airplane on fire. Then it looked like a group of long range missiles, finally as it went by it looked like fragments of a meteor, only way bigger and lower than you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

comforting to hear it wasnt just me that saw that. they were puzzlingly slow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Saw it in Doolan too, thread starting about it on the Galway city forum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Something to do with culture night I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Reports on twitter are all the way from south of England, Scotland and through Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 g.remigi

I saw it from Stillorgan, south Dublin. Never seen something like that.

Moving faster that an aircraft, like something really big in fire and going into pieces. I thought it was an asteroid but there was no noise at all and I would expect it to be much brighter if it was the case.

I kinda got scared. I'm really looking forward to know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 simcon92

:confused: it was like a meteor getting burned up in the atmosphere!! saw it from foxrock co.dublin! and it looked quite low in the air!! was going in a north easterly direction. and i saw about 200 differnt pieces of burning "debris" in a sort of "sheet" behhind it! was amazing to say the least not something ill forget! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

It's a Meteor shower apparently.

not like any shooting star ive ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

simcon92 wrote: »
    not like any shooting star ive ever seen!

Not a shooting star, a Meteor shower, two completely different things, am gutted I didn't see it, my bro just rang me from Dublin to look out and see it it he's speechless after seeing it.

well i have seen a meteor shower before and these were moving a bit to slowly and in a formation. wer too low in the atmosphere and i was also speechless i thought it was a comet but i didnt know. there was no streak in the air behind them if thats what im trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishtonto

Very cool, like a train in the sky :) it seemed quite low though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lornamarie82

I saw exactly the same thing, I am also in Stillorgan, cannot wait to find out what that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 salmonkat

That was for sure not a shooting star. Very slow moving and extremely low. So many particles, we all believed it was a firework of some sort. I only saw the end tail, orange/golden part, and it moved so slowly. It disappeared behind the building after 30 secs or so. Our spot was Parliament Street (Temple Bar) looking towards the Liffey. To us it looked like a firework, but just too magical to be manmade, moving toward Wood Quay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

salmonkat wrote: »
    That was for sure not a shooting star. Very slow moving. So many particles, we all believed it was a firework of some sort.

A firework that was seen as far north as scotland, as far south as plymouth, west as #doolin and east as bristol?

Some ****ing firework...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 g.remigi

Based on what I read here they saw it in Canada and the States too!

http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.ie

I saw it while walking from the Luas stop to Stillorgan so it was flying perfectly from East to West. I'm still thinking about it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A meteor, according to RTE News.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

salmonkat wrote: »
    Very slow moving and extremely low.

Although that's how it appeared it was actually very high up in the atmosphere hence why it was seen so widely and why it seemed slow even though it was quite fast moving.

I wish I'd seen it.

Advertisement