Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange fireballs in the sky?

Options
  • 21-09-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Me and my friends were just standing in the back garden there, and we saw a bunch of orange "fireballs" in the sky. They were moving really quickly and had passed through the visible skyline in about 20 seconds. There were 5 or 6 of them, and all seemed to be moving with the exact same velocity.

Not to sound like a nut, but wtf was that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Chinese lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Chinese lantern.

I've seen plenty of those in the sky and have set one off myself - definitely not. Similar to this perhaps? http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0128/astronomy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

saw this in dublin aswell, definitley not chinese lanterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Not Chinese lantern, I'm in Doolan and just saw them too. Seemed to be moving south when I was looking west. Think it may have been a meteorite breaking up, wasn't a shooting star as moving too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Jesus what was it if it could be seen so widely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tommi78

Meteor falling to earth.... it passed right over the house here in westport and out over clewbay losing its brightness as it went....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Saw those myself in Drumcondra about 10 min ago. Really strange. Definately seemed to be falling while travelling. Looked very much like "asteroid"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

Tommi78 wrote: »
    Meteor falling to earth.... it passed right over the house here in westport and out over clewbay losing its brightness as it went....

Looked like meteor falling to earth

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Omg I saw them too and there were at least 25 particles in a line glowing red / orange. My first thought was debris from a plane crash but these things seemed like they were in orbit. I can say for absolutely certain they were not Chinese lanterns, way too many and way to fast and just utterly different. I am in Navan and I got a call from a friend who saw them in Cavan. I am still shocked because quite honestly it was the most spectacular thing I have ever ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Reports on twitter are all the way from south of England, Scotland and through Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

i was just logging on to start a thread about them when i came on this ,i was walking with a torch down the field and i spotted a load of these orange balls all different sizes moving fairly fast ,faster than a airplane but much slower than a shooting star and there was a orange trail coming off them,at first i thought it was an airplane after exploding because all the bits were moving in the one direction but the bigger bits were going faster than the smaller ones and the smaller ones seemed to die out after about 20 seconds so only 5 or 6 were left by the time i lost sight of them ,they were moving from east to west i am in abbeyknockmoy and they were straight overhead heading for galway city.they lasted so long that i had time to ring my wife and tell her to go outside to look and she got the last ten seconds or so of them before they were out of sight ,id say they lasted a good 40 seconds to cross the sky .i am gobsmacked and they was no noise from them and they were deffinetly not lanterns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

japanese lantern!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

i have never seen anythin like this before and it was exactly 10.58 they passed over

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KevinG88

Saw these fireballs in castlegar Galway at 10:55. They were so cool we all went outside and had a good view of them for about 30 seconds. they were headed Tirellan direction it was like a cool continuous firework straight across the sky. Unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Reports on twitter are all the way from south of England, Scotland and through Ireland...

Considering it probably had just travelled millions and millions of miles through space, and extra 1000kms is not too hard to believe now is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dualtagh

Saw these too, over Inishbofin. They were heading west before burning out. Could a be an old satellite entering the atmosphere or a small asteroid

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Its those aliens the mayans warned us about!!!
    i bow before our alien overlords:-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Its those aliens the mayans warned us about!!!
    i bow before our alien overlords:-p

Jaysus, they'll be fierce thirsty after their trip. Someone stick the kettle on and grab the mikados, I'll get the good china teapot out of the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Heard about it on the radio today. Sorry I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I missed this last night but I was on twitter when it was happening. Saw some tweets of people in NY seeing it...crazy how we could track where it was through social media alone :)
    I bet the people from the conspiracy section are s***ing themselves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am SO disappointedI missed this. There was footage on the news and it looked amazing. Astronomy Ireland are asking people who saw to get in touch as they're trying to triangulate where the meteors fell to earth. They're quite valuable if found.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

People were commenting on this from the u.k. on a chatlist I read. & I missed it. Damn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

It was debris from an old satellite, just incase people hadn't heard. Really a great thing to see, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Disgusted I missed this last night,typical of my luck:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Caribbean Cat

I saw them as well as I was driving by Jurys Inn around 11 p.m. I couldn't figure out what they were as they were moving too fast to be chinese lanterns.Was it a meteorite disintegrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I saw them as well as I was driving by Jurys Inn around 11 p.m. I couldn't figure out what they were as they were moving too fast to be chinese lanterns.Was it a meteorite disintegrating?
    i was down that way too and saw them. my first thought was that it was tracer bullets you used to see in world war 2 machine guns or aircraft machine guns. really bright hot looking lights trailing horizontally seemingly very low across the city from mervue heading towards spiddal..admittedly i was a little drunk but it was pretty spectacular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was a meteor. More here.

Advertisement