Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chlomid Success

Options
  • 21-09-2012 11:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success on Chlomid? Due to start next month and really not sure about it. I am not ovulating, will it make me ovulate? What are the success rates?

I had a Laparoscopy for Endometriosis, then had a Cystectomy for Ovarian Cysts, am completely clear inside now, had dye test and tubes were clear. Had 2 blood tests done for ovulation but didn't ovulate on either occasion. Next step is chlomid, but should i be hopeful?

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi there,

According to this http://infertility.about.com/od/infertilitytreatments/f/clomid_success.htm

the success rates are not too bad.

The good news is that the success rate for Clomid, in women with ovulatory problems, is pretty good. About 80% of
    women taking Clomid will ovulate during their first treatment cycle, and the
    chance of conceiving in that first month is 30%. If 30% sounds low, keep in mind
    that a couple with no problems getting pregnant has about a 25% chance of
    getting pregnant in any given month.

Of course, this assumes that all else is well with the couple. If there are
    additional problems besides irregular or absent ovulation or there are any male
    factor infertility issues that have not been addressed, success will be lower.
    It's questionable how successful Clomid therapy is for couples diagnosed with unexplained infertility.

Also, Clomid does not always work well in women who are dealing with age-related infertility, with low estrogen levels, or
    women with premature ovarian failure. It may also not work in women whose ovulation problems are caused by a thyroid issue.
    Women who are obese may have better success with Clomid if they lose weight.

About 40 to 45% of couples get pregnant within six months of treatment. Women
    are rarely treated with Clomid for more than six consecutive cycles.
    If six months have passed and you're still not pregnant, your doctor will
    help you look in to alternative treatment options. There are a variety of fertility drugs and fertility treatments available.
    If Clomid doesn't work for you, don't fret. Something else may work better.

I suppose that it really depends on the individual woman, and assumes that the male is fertile. I ovulated, however was given Clomid to boost the strength and quality of the egg, probably because I was 37. The first cycle I over stimulated producing 3 mature follicles so it wasnt wise to try that month. The second cycle, my dosage was lowered and it produced 2 follicles, but no luck, and third time lucky, I produced 2 mature and one less mature eggs so the cycle was allowed to go ahead. I got pregnant with twins, however lost one very early on. The other, is 4 months old and just fell asleep for naps. :) so I think its fair to say I'm a big fan of the drug. I do have friends that Clomid didnt work for, but you wont know until you try.

I hope this gives you encouragement. The way I see it is, Clomid is not as expensive as the likes of IVF and is worth trying for a little while to see if your issue can be resolved without spending a fortune. Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 cvjointsally

Thanks a million for your reply, I did take it before but nothing happened, I had 3 cysts at the time that was not diagnosed due to having a very bad doctor, have recently changed, got the cysts removed and Chlomid is my next option so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Will try it for a couple of months, thanks again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭aristotle25

All I can give is my girlfriends story where we were trying for 2-3 years with no luck. After starting taking clomid she got pregnant 3 times in 12 months (unfortunately the first two miscarried very early).

So I think if works.

But I also saw something on tv about diets being important when trying to conceive. It made sense so worth looking into too.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I was on Clomid for a month and it seriously sent me off my head! I mean full blown crazy bananas! LOL
    I can laugh now, but at the time it was awful. I honestly felt like the world was about to end. My husband was away with work, and I was having such serious anxiety and emotional upset that I was convinced something was going to happen him, or that he just wouldn't come home. For no reason, but I just thought 'he's going to leave me' and I was terrified to be on my own. I have never experienced such extreme anxiety and black moods.

The following month I went onto nolvadex and thankfully experienced no such issues.

I know a lot of people who had no trouble on clomid, and even my doctor said my reaction was an extreme one. But still I just wanted to give you a heads up so that if you do feel it makes you REALLY emotional or makes you feel depressed make sure you tell your doc as there are other drugs which do the same thing you can try.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My close friend has pcos and conceived two healthy children after taking it. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback guys, still haven't started it yet but consulted my doctor the other day to get a prescription, not going on it this month will start next month, keeping my fingers crossed! The years are pushing on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I was on it since last November but I had long cycles so only did 4 rounds of it and got married in may and forgot bout ttc for that time just went with the flow. There was a tragedy a month later someone I grew up with was killed so still wasn't thinkin of it and on Aug 7th did a test cos I was sick and there it was a positive! I just turned 7 months married Monday and today I'm 6 months pregnant! I'm 24 and since I was 17 was told I'll never have kids naturally (without ivf) so anything's possible! And I believe distractions are a helping hand hopefully always good ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

I have an almost 5 year old boy and after 9 months ttc for our second, my GP put me on Clomid for 3 months as my cycles were long and irregular. Clomid shortened them and I am now 13 weeks pregnant with twins!! Got pregnant on 3rd month, would have had to go for all the tests if I hadn't gotten pregnant that month.

Love hearing the success stories! Had 3 rounds of chlomid which didn't work for me. Had blood tests done last month and I didn't ovulate but also had a 25 day cycle so maybe bloods were done too early results were only at 15 and they should have been at least 30 :-(. Next step is 1 month of chlomid and perform a blood test day 18 and day 20. If no ovulation month 2 chlomid will increase to 100g rather than 50g

I think a distraction is the best policy though! Synyster Shadow has the right idea - stop thinking about it! So fingers crossed for more ttc

Advertisement