Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Question

Options
  • 22-09-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Ok so I have a Modem connected to my wireless router downstairs and I'm on UPC 30Mb.
    The router I'm using is a Belkin 54 Mpbs G ( Around 11 years old :O - But have never had issues with it till now)

I had my laptop directly above this room and had a great connection
    (around 20 Mb) but now that I have moved to other side of the house and recently bought a new computer the signal is horrible getting like 1 Mb download.

The computer I got came with a N wireless adapter and not G so I assume this is one of the reasons why I'm getting such bad speeds am I correct?
    So I think It's finally time to get a new router, any suggestions?
    Would even buying any 150 Mpbs wireless router N significantly improve my connection?

Cheers, Doyler

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Distance is obviously a significant issue here.

To get the benefits of the n standard you need to have all of the wireless items on the network to be n compatible otherwise they will be dragged down to the g standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

dub45 wrote: »

To get the benefits of the n standard you need to have all of the wireless items on the network to be n compatible otherwise they will be dragged down to the g standard.

Its not really far away like, just I'd say 5-7 meters more from where my laptop used to be!
    Well the only things I will hope to be using on the wireless network is my new computer and my iPhone 4.
    I was just think of buying a general wireless router tomorrow and see if my speed or coverage is any better yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Try changing the wireless channel, turning off cordless phones etc, happens to me all the time. Prob better off with a new router though!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Try changing the wireless channel, turning off cordless phones etc, happens to me all the time. Prob better off with a new router though!
    Yea tryed all that and my router only supports G and it's on channel 11 with no other networks around too :( Yea think I might have to get a new one!

I just did a speed test on my phone there right beside my computer and got 12mb download and 3mb upload, this leads me believe that I will defo need a N or multi channel router :S oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Doyler99 wrote: »
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Yea tryed all that and my router only supports G and it's on channel 11 with no other networks around too :( Yea think I might have to get a new one!

I just did a speed test on my phone there right beside my computer and got 12mb download and 3mb upload, this leads me believe that I will defo need a N or multi channel router :S oh well
    Even without walls etc distance is a HUGE factor - twice the distance 1/4 the signal - 3 times 1/9 etc. Get the best standard you can afford and put the router up high if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

Doyler99 wrote: »

Regarding a multi channel router, make sure that your supplier is broadcasting on different channels. By the way don't believe what they tell you test it your self. My carrier claims that they broadcast from C1 to C11 which is rubbish as I can only pick up on the 21GHz band which is C6 only.

Thanks for all the info lads!
    I bought a Belkin N450 DB Wireless Router and this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9255155/Trail/searchtext%3ENETGEAR.htm
    I am now getting around 20 dl and 3 up so I'm really happy. Think the wireless adapter I bought was thrash! So never buy ASUS cards :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

dub45 wrote: »

This is not quite true.

150n APs will operate at 54Mbps if WPA-TKIP is used.

However, if AES is used instead of TKIP then 150n devices will run at 150 speed when communicating with n clients.

g clients will of course operate at g speed (54Mbps) and they will tend to slow down the network overall because for a given transaction they will consume more time than an n device will - so active g clients will slow down the network for all users, but not necessarily to the 54 limit.

Advertisement