Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best hospital to do internship

Options
  • 22-09-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm a final year med student and considering my options for intern year. What are the best jobs/hospitals to apply for? Does anyone know which hospitals are paying overtime and which ones aren't? What pitholes to avoid etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

It doesnt really matter where you do your internship really. But if you have good contacts/interests in a certain area then go for that one.

Filling out forms and putting in lines is the same in every hospital,
    Def do enquire about the teams you're applying for though. Some consultants are pigs and will make your 3 months hell

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

All jobs have their up and down sides.

Grunt work is the same the country over. What can make some jobs stand out is the exposure to emergency admissions i.e. Interns working in A+E and admitting from there. These tend to be the smaller hospitals, but give you a chance to actually feel like a doctor, where you'll be assessing and diagnosing and treating patients. It's usually medical jobs. I spent 6 months in Roscommon and found it fantastic for an Intern (albeit that job is now gone). It's a nice change of pace to filling out forms and writing discharges. I know St Johns in Limerick still have it and I know Sligo used to be similar (dunno if it still does) I'm sure there are other hospitals around the country that still have their interns covering A+E

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

In my opinion you'll get better experience in smaller district general hospitals but the larger ones with tertiary referral units are probably better to get contacts if you intend to pursue hospital medicine as a career.

Advertisement