Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung CHRONOS 700z

• 22-09-2012 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I won't go on too much. Hoping someone knows a bit about these: Samsung CHRONOS 700z

I'm thinking of buying this from: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsu...z_1217865.html

Has anyone got one or does anyone know if these are as good as most of the reviews are suggesting?

Is there anything for the same or lower price that would beat it?

Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have the previous generation model of this. It's very similar just with a 2nd gen core i7 and the 6750 graphics card. The laptop is brilliant. I was upgrading from my dell studio 1555 and I couldn't believe the difference in size, it's lighter too and my old dell wasn't exactly heavy. It's a powerful laptop, comparable to the MacBook Pro 15". There have been some complaints about the screen on my model and as far as I know they kept the same screen for the current generation one. I don't have any problems with the screen and think it looks great. You can download a custom ICC profile which some people think is an improvement.

It's a great laptop and while you might be able to get something similar in spec for a bit cheaper, I'd still get the chronos 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I have the previous generation model of this. It's very similar just with a 2nd gen core i7 and the 6750 graphics card. The laptop is brilliant. I was upgrading from my dell studio 1555 and I couldn't believe the difference in size, it's lighter too and my old dell wasn't exactly heavy. It's a powerful laptop, comparable to the MacBook Pro 15". There have been some complaints about the screen on my model and as far as I know they kept the same screen for the current generation one. I don't have any problems with the screen and think it looks great. You can download a custom ICC profile which some people think is an improvement.

It's a great laptop and while you might be able to get something similar in spec for a bit cheaper, I'd still get the chronos 7.

Good to hear. I have seen a few quibbles about the screen but it's not a problem for me as I won't need a laptop with an amazing quality screen.

I'm going to be using this for college and have seen a lot said about how surprisingly light it is so that's a plus. (I'll only have a short journey from car to library anyways)

I have seen that the start up is pretty nippy with it, is that the case? Also, how is the keyboard for typing?

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't know about startup times with the standard config because I replaced my hard drive with an SSD which will be quicker than a standard hard drive. Start up time should be pretty fast though as it has a small amount of really fast flash storage (basically a small SSD) that it uses for caching certain files that are used a lot. The keyboard is good, it's a bit different to my old one so took a bit of getting used to. I found that the space bar didn't register some of the times when I hit it but I adjusted to that fairly quickly.

Advertisement