Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mead supplies

Options
  • 22-09-2012 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm looking to homebrew some mead, wondering if you could point me towards somewhere that sells what I'd need. I tried a few weeks ago with jam jars and balloons, which didn't go well.

Basically, I'm looking to make about 2 gallons at a time, preferably in separate jugs. I know I'll need an airlock, more yeast and the like. But all I've seen online are beer homebrew kits, and I won't need most of that.

Anywhere in Dublin that sells this kind of thing on its own, and a rough price for them would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Urizen wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm looking to homebrew some mead, wondering if you could point me towards somewhere that sells what I'd need. I tried a few weeks ago with jam jars and balloons, which didn't go well.

Basically, I'm looking to make about 2 gallons at a time, preferably in separate jugs. I know I'll need an airlock, more yeast and the like. But all I've seen online are beer homebrew kits, and I won't need most of that.

Anywhere in Dublin that sells this kind of thing on its own, and a rough price for them would be much appreciated.

Next door off licence across from superquinn on sun drive road has 1 gallon glass carboys and air locks. A Tenner would cover them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

"with jam jars and balloons" how on earth does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Thanks Blackjack, that's great, I can get there tomorrow so :D

Ha, I mixed the honey, yeast and water, then split it into jam jars since I had nothing larger. I used balloons with holes poked in in lieu of airlocks. It let the CO2 out, and didn't allow any O2 in.

But then they got knocked over, so it was all a waste, and I'd rather do it right next time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thecountkelly

If you havnt got the equipment already homebrewwest.ie should have everything you need its only a fiver delivery. I got two carboys airlock bungs and cleaning solution and yeast for about €15.

You really cant beat some homemade mead! takes forever to make tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The larger tescos. You could also pick up a 5 litre PET of spring water from Lidl or Supervalue for about 1.30. Fre water or free ferementer whichever way you look at it :) But you can still use both in your brew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

any one have a recipe for mead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The Homebrew company had 1 gallon plastic fermentors hat look handy

b279e3035d4886e4d52f87676a62764f.image.159x213.JPG

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/1-gallon-pet-demijohn-with-cap-and-grommet-p-543.html

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

jap gt wrote: »
    any one have a recipe for mead

Lots of Honey, even the cheapest LIDL honey or whatever. You need to have about 4 parts water to 1 part honey at minimum, or it will be tricky to ferment. So for 3Kg of Honey you will need about 12L of water or thereabouts.

Going for more dilute will make it cheaper and a bit easier to ferment, and it will take less time.

Grab yourself a load of berries that are on 2 for 1 specials. Knock yourself out - blueberries, raspberries, anything with a high juice count.

If you want to allow a wild ferment, mix it all together without boiling. I prefer to blend the berries and press out as much juice as possible, but I have also just added them to impart flavour (and extract later after a few weeks).

For a non wild ferment, get yourself some wine yeast and pitch it in when it is at room temperature after boiling the honey to dissolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

How long would you age it before drinking sharingan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Leave it as long as you can possibly last without digging in. I made a delicious orange and clove mead, and left it ferment for 3 months and then another month in the bottle before drinking!

This is a great website about brewing mead: http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/make-mead-1-brewing-the-must.htm

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement