Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy handed boards.ie moderators

Options
  • 22-09-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

What's the deal with boards.ie closing threads.and.moderators saying we dont give out medical advice ? I am not looking for boards.ie staff to give expert medical opinion. I am having a genral conversation like you would have in a schoolyard. Jesus boards.ie moderators need to RELAX!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to Feedback :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One reason being that "having a conversation in a schoolyard" won't get you sued D. Secondly it can be bloody dangerous. Person A asks for medical advice, Person B gives the wrong medical advice, cos they're not a medical professional and person A could become sicker or worse. Even if Person B was a medical professional without knowing the medical history of Person A they're likely on a hiding to nothing, hence medical professionals don't give out advice on the internet, indeed IIRC theyre legally bound not to in this country. Well some do in the US, but that's a whole other ballgame...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's like I used to have a chronic pain in my back that disappeared after I got hit by a bus. Allwell and good for a fireside story but I shouldn't recommend anyone try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Where To wrote: »
    It's like I used to have a chronic pain in my back that disappeared after I got hit by a bus. Allwell and good for a fireside story but I shouldn't recommend anyone try it.

Thanks for the tip, dude! I'll be back later and let you know how I got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Dad11 wrote: »
    What's the deal with boards.ie closing threads.and.moderators saying we dont give out medical advice .......

. Jesus boards.ie moderators need to RELAX!

What a terrible comment- moderators are always considered in their opinions. Fact.
    I would ban you ten times for this. x10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Jesus boards.ie moderators need to RELAX!

And if posters would just read the charter we wouldn't need to lock threads.
    THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL FORUM.
    Do not look for medical advice here, always always check with your medical care provider as for what is best for you and children under your care.
    Seems pretty self-explanatory to me. Any medical concerns need to be brought to your doctor not to boards. It's the parenting equivalent of the house being on fire and posting in the Emergency Services forum for advice instead of calling 112.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What's the deal with boards.ie closing threads.and.moderators saying we dont give out medical advice .......

. Jesus boards.ie moderators need to RELAX!

What a terrible comment- moderators are always considered in their opinions. Fact.
    I would ban you ten times for this. x10.

And herein is the best example of the thread title being inadvertently supported.. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Inadvertently supported by a blindingly obvious joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Inadvertently supported by a blindingly obvious joke?
    So blindingly I must have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

I hear ya :-)

Wibbs wrote: »
    One reason being that "having a conversation in a schoolyard" won't get you sued D. Secondly it can be bloody dangerous. Person A asks for medical advice, Person B gives the wrong medical advice, cos they're not a medical professional and person A could become sicker or worse. Even if Person B was a medical professional without knowing the medical history of Person A they're likely on a hiding to nothing, hence medical professionals don't give out advice on the internet, indeed IIRC theyre legally bound not to in this country. Well some do in the US, but that's a whole other ballgame...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

MugMugs wrote: »

you sure did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

In which case I clarify I was not seriously suggesting a ban, I think it was quite obvious though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Exactly the point. Someone makes the most blatantly obvious joke in response to a medical query and another person who doesn't recognise jokes will take it literally.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Think we're done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement