Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing in a pension?

Options
  • 22-09-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, following the news this morning about Guinness staff not getting their pensions, Is there any way to cash one in?

I have one which hasn't been contributed to in a couple of years, less than 20k in it but it would be handy to have right now, it's with new Ireland.

There was a work pension transferred into it by bond a couple of years ago, but other than that its prsa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

I think that if you're over 50 and unemployed, you may be able to cash it in. Give New Ireland a ring and they'll let you know. Are you sure it's worth that much, or is that what you put in? They have lost a lot in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks

*not Guinness, guineys

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Self employed is minimum age 60. Company scheme early retirement is possible from age 50.

Serious ill health is the only way you can access pensions before those ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Self employed is minimum age 60. Company scheme early retirement is possible from age 50.

Serious ill health is the only way you can access pensions before those ages.

Correct unless you are a member of the scheme for less than two years. Then you can avail of a refund of your contributions.

OU812 wrote: »
    Thanks

*not Guinness, guineys

What age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

42 (as Douglas Adams would say)

Then i don't think you will be able to touch it.

Advertisement