Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIGHER DIPLOMA IN APPLIED SCIENCE (SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT)(GYE12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Hello there!

Has anyone made an application to the Industry stream of this course? Through Blue brick? I have been offered a place in the Msc but no word on the industry stream version yet! I

Hi-You won't hear any word about the Industry stream until late May from what I was told. There will be interviews with the companies involved and last year there were about 70 applicants for 25-30 places so it seems that it's competetive to get into it. I'm applying for both courses this week but was talking to the person running it in NUIG and they said that there will be no offers until after the interviews take place in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thechemputer

Thanks for the info man, much appreciated! Best of luck with the application process! Here's hoping we both get in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Hi,
    Question for past/present students..Apart from practising some programming,is there anything else you'd recommend that would be good preperation for doing the course?(the Hdip)
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Hi all,

Have just been offered a place on this course for next year.

Anyone know what the weekly schedule is like? How many hours per week of lectures and labs?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

starWave wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have just been offered a place on this course for next year.

Anyone know what the weekly schedule is like? How many hours per week of lectures and labs?

Also many exams ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

About 30 hours of scheduled classes and labs per week. 5 or 6 exams for christmas depending on your option and 3 exams for summer.
    If you want good grades I'd say be willing to put in 50 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Semester 2 timetables can be viewed here for the standard stream and here for the industry stream. This might give you a bit of an idea. Some of the subjects are optional!

Exam wise, it depends on your stream. I'm not too sure about Christmas but I think its was about 3, and 2/3 at Summer, depending on Stream.

Bare in mind that this is designed to bring you from no previous IT background to a hireable software developer in less than a year - it's intense and don't kid yourself into thinking it's not! I imagine the work is also rewarding though. I know a couple of people doing the course as I was tutor on one of the modules and I see a lot of folks in at 8/9 and out at 9/10, not just during exam season but trying to get projects/assignments done etc. It's not a soft year by any means!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dalmighty

Hi again, so i got an interview for the industry stream next thursday...anyone do this before? or any advice? HELP! anything, no matter how small will be of benefit!

Is your interview this Thursday or next week do you mind me asking?

next thursday 16th..are you in the same position? any info for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Taylor12

Hi guys I got accepted to the standard stream just wondering if anyone had a timetable from last years 1st semester to see what's in store for me. I can can get the 2nd semester online.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Taylor12

Also I don't have an IT background I have a BA in education and a trade. I'm starting to wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thechemputer

Anyone hear any word back yet??

Anyone hear any word back yet??

no notta thing...think it mid june..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Squallink

I did the interview on the 16th, they got back to me at the end of last month offering me a place, said they'd contact me again in September...need to submit transcripts though

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Just in case anyone is wondering, I have uploaded the timetables I had for this course for
    the 2012/2013 session to imgur. You can get them at this link: http://imgur.com/a/qSBdy.

Good luck with your studies everyone.

Any idea when this course will start in September, early, mid, late?

Need to plan when I'm leaving the job.

Quite early. I think it's around the start of the month. It might be on the 2nd of September for you. I started on the first Monday of September, which was the 3rd last year. It's only an induction day, but it's when the course starts nonetheless.

Barti wrote: »
    Quite early. I think it's around the start of the month. It might be on the 2nd of September for you. I started on the first Monday of September, which was the 3rd last year. It's only an induction day, but it's when the course starts nonetheless.

And lectures started the following day?

The project I'm working on now is supposed to finish at the end of September, but I think I will have to tell them I'm leaving at the end of August, as its probably not a good idea to miss the first week or two of lectures.

Lectures started the day after, yeah. The first week or two is quite important for all the information they give you and get you all set up for the course ahead. I wouldn't advise missing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Foook me that looks very demanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Taylor12 wrote: »
    Also I don't have an IT background I have a BA in education and a trade. I'm starting to wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew any thoughts would be much appreciated.

If you're ready to put in the effort then it shouldn't be a problem. I came from civil engineering and it was tough at the start but if you put in the hours you should be fine.
    I found it so much more enjoyable and rewarding than anything I did in my 4 year civil course and now I'm in a job that I actually enjoy as opposed to one that I hated every second of.

When you have several assignments on the go you will find yourself waiting in college later (8-10pm) but I became friends with almost everyone in my course that way because everyone inevitably ends up waiting later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Squallink

Anyone know what the industry stream in like time-table wise? I'm hoping that I can keep my part-time job up and avoid getting out a student loan to pay for living expenses but from the looks of the other timetable I doubt I'll be able to

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know what computer language(s) are taught on this course? Thanks.

It's C# and Java mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Thanks!

Kellzer wrote: »
    It's C# and Java mostly.

Did I read somewhere, maybe on another thread here, thats its .NET now instead of C++?

Edit:
    Java and .NET this year...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84403642&postcount=21

yeah it used to be C++ but they have changed it now so it's Java and .NET (which is the framework for C# and a few other languages.) Seems that most jobs advertised are in Java and C# now so that's why they changed it I would guess.

Kellzer wrote: »
    yeah it used to be C++ but they have changed it now so it's Java and .NET (which is the framework for C# and a few other languages.) Seems that most jobs advertised are in Java and C# now so that's why they changed it I would guess.

so C# and .NET are basically the same? Is .NET not just a Microsoft Visual Studio thing for all languages? Like, are C, C++, VB etc not also in the .NET as well?

• Advertisement

yeah that's right- .Net is the framework that supports a load of languages so it could be any of them that were using like you said. The reason that I assumed it would be C# is that it's an object oriented language which is what the course is geared towards (and where a lot of jobs seem to be) but C++ is considered to be an OO language too so maybe that's what they'll use. I'm not really sure cos the University website doesn't seem to have been updated properly for this year so I'm probably assuming too much saying that it will be C# primarily when it could be anything covered by .NET! I guess once we learn one language then we will pick others up easily enough so probably doesn't matter that much.

Advertisement