Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memorial - What can I do?

Options
  • 22-09-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I had planned a memorial for today. It was a small memorial with a couple of friends. I had this planned a month ago. I had invited a couple of friends and until last night, everything was set. My friend has now said she will not be able to come due to a split with her boyfriend and it is unlikely that my other friend will come now. So I have had to postpone the memorial, which was very special as it was on this day (22nd of September) in 2004 I met the love of my life. He passed away unexpectedly last June.

The memorial was to be held outdoors with the release of a sky lantern, music and song with a picnic afterwards. Because it is now postponed, what can I do to make this day special for him? I need ideas.

Please help.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Why can you not still do as you had planned?
    I can understand that your friends not being able to attend puts a damper on your plans, but surely as a memorial for someone you love.
    Going ahead with the Lantern release this evening on your own, spend some time reflecting on the good times you shared with him, I think it may well be a more personal gesture between you and he?
    And then you can sort something else out for when your mates are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Thank you banie01 for your reply.

I can't release the lantern on my own as it takes two people to light one, otherwise I would do it. It is on the saftey guidelines for lighting a lantern. I am going to play some songs of his that he loved and light a candle and think about him.

I do not know what else I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well Merlie, to be honest once the thought of him is with you and you are making a thoughtful gesture that brings his memory to the forefront on a special day for you.
    I don't really think there is much more you can do? Is there?
    Its a day that is intensely personal to you, only you can really know whats 'right' for it.

Its a day when you remember the 1st meeting with someone you loved and lost :'(
    A day to remember the happy times ye shared, rather than the circumstance of the loss or the grief you are left with.
    Sorry for your loss Merlie and I hope this evening goes gently for you and that your reminisces are happy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 albetty31

I'd forget about everyone else and spend time on your own..go to where you first met, talk a walk along places you liked, look after yourself and spoil yourself for the day.take time to reflect

Advertisement