Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Driving Licence

• 22-09-2012 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get an international driving licence? I was going to go in today but it appears they're closed on Saturday. The website says it can take 10 days to deliver but I'm heading on Friday!! The last time I got one they did it there and then. Does anyone know if this is still the case??

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

I recall that i was going to US years ago, I got mine from the AA office in Cork, it was done there and then.
    Has it now changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

Don't know. Hope it's still the same though because we're off on Friday and some of the car rental companies won't rent you a car without an IDL. It's about 10 years since I got one last too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I visited the USA earlier in the summer. A few weeks before I went I visited the AA Shop and it was done there and then. Cost is €10.

It's a pity the AA Shop is not open on Saturdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I got one in the former AA shop on Suffolk st in 2002, 6/7 mins and a few Euro. Its came across to me as a money making gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

IDL's are not needed for many countries. The USA certainly does not require them.

They are a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

AA is on Drury Street now.

Lads where are yee going that makes you think you need these IDPs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

Lads where are yee going that makes you think you need these IDPs?

California. Checked T&Cs for Alamo car hire, says you have to have either a US or International licence. Friend of mine wasn't asked for it last year but I'm not taking any chances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

Beardyman wrote: »
    California. Checked T&Cs for Alamo car hire, says you have to have either a US or International licence. Friend of mine wasn't asked for it last year but I'm not taking any chances!

I used Enterprise Rent a Car in San Francisco and my Irish licence was all that was needed.

International licence means a national licence from abroad. In any case an IDP is not a driving licence at all. All it is a translation of your national licence. It is not valid on it's own. Your local licence is still needed with it.

The USA/Canada certainly do not need them. Most civilised nations do not need them. It is just a money making racket for the AA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The UK AA even admit that some of the countries they tell you to get one for don't actually need it:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html (those marked "E"). Those marked "D" are irrelevant as Irish licences all have photographs too.

For the US they put in some claims about insurance firms - that is no an issue when hiring a car, as the insurance policy is theirs.

At this stage they should really look at getting rid of the entire damn thing, as there are huge amounts of people who pay serious money to get these - or bad fakes thereof - online as well as people who are convinced that they can get one without a driving licence and use it to drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Agree with all that you do not need it. I have a 25 year old driving licence from Belgium which is only in Dutch. I have rented in most EU countries plus several times in the US and never had in problem. I was even pulled over by the Police in the US (Los Angeles) and they did not bat an eyelid when seeying my driving licence. As long as it is in the Roman alphabet, you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It is just a money making racket for the AA.

I had suspected as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

International licence means a national licence from abroad.

+1 In the US the term 'international' just means 'non-US'.

As in, you go into a shop to buy a digital camera. You want the model that comes with the multivoltage (100-240V) charger so you ask for the 'international' model.

Advertisement