Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda - Belfast by bus

Options
  • 22-09-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Best way to get to Belfast by bus (to be there before 9am) from Drogheda? Go to Dublin Airport or go to Newry? Alternative coaches? Train does not get to Belfast until 945.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Aircoach and bus eireann have services through the night, both ways
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=960&month=May
    http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.belfast.php

Not sure how you'd get to the airport or to Newry - first bus to Newry gets there at 0800 and connects with a bus that gets to Belfast (Europa) at 0925

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I had the same problem a while back, I am in Dundalk and even tho I am pretty close to Newry but don't drive, my options were to go to the Airport very early and get the Belfast bus from there or go the night before and stay in a hostel. Its a bit naff that in this day and age no Belfast bus stops here anymore, we have to go through Newry and that isn't always an option!
    I have however had to get the bus to Belfast from Busáras and its not pleasant if you get an older bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Is this a joke? There's no bus between the two major Louth towns to Belfast? That's actually shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

MugMugs wrote: »
    Is this a joke? There's no bus between the two major Louth towns to Belfast? That's actually shocking!

There was a Bus Éireann service when Dublin bound would pick up only in Banbridge Newry and drop off only in Dundalk and Drogheda then be the other way round on the way back.

I used to get it every week and one Friday last year I went to get it and was told "that bus doesnt stop in Dundalk".

Have to get the enterprise now.

MugMugs wrote: »
    You can get the bus from either town to Newry to connect with the express. I suppose it means the express stays on the M1 from the airport to Newry. If it had to divert into Drogheda and Dundalk it would add substantially to the travel time from Dublin to Belfast.

There is also the enterprise which gets you to Belfast in an hour and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 shugana

It is a major inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    You can get the bus from either town to Newry to connect with the express. I suppose it means the express stays on the M1 from the airport to Newry. If it had to divert into Drogheda and Dundalk it would add substantially to the travel time from Dublin to Belfast.

I understand the logic of keeping Dublin Airport - Belfast bus on the M1, but may be they should have every alternate service DA-Belfast express to drop and pick up from Drogheda, Dundalk and Newry. Or at least Dundalk, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Go onto Bus Eireann web site into route planner.
    It says the Bus leaves Drogheda Bus Station at 4.00 arrives Belfast Bus Station at 7.25.
    Seems like a long time to get there but it has to be better than trying to get to Dub Airport or Newry first.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It says the Bus leaves Drogheda Bus Station at 4.00 arrives Belfast Bus Station at 7.25.
    Seems like a long time to get there but it has to be better than trying to get to Dub Airport or Newry first.
    This journey involves getting the bus to the airport and then connecting with the express:D

The journey planner is very poor - it doesn't give the option of going to Newry and connecting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Aircoach picks up at Homebase in Drogheda en-route to Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

doesn't the translink service from dublin to belfast stop in drogheda?,i know there is the express which doesn't but the regular service does.

The train stops in drogheda also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    This journey involves getting the bus to the airport and then connecting with the express:D

The journey planner is very poor - it doesn't give the option of going to Newry and connecting there.

Ahh that explains the long time frame,
    I thought it looked a bit strange alright.
    Thanks for that.
    Only in Ireland, you really do have to go backwards in order to go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spoon and the stars

This is a joke of a service,totally working against tourists and locals who dont drive!!!!!
    So people that dont want to pay the high train prices are forced to go head south to Dublin
    to go north to Belfast....Welcome to Ireland!!!!!!

Advertisement