Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla Almond Sponge Bread

Options
  • 22-09-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi all,

First time posting in this section. I recently starting cooking some paelo foods one of them being Vanilla Almond Sponge Bread.

However I have run into some problems, when the bread is cooked a waxy substance forms at the base of the bread. Anyone any idea were I am going wrong? Could it be the coconut milk? (This is the one I am using http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_11964.htm)

I am also using large eggs, would this make a major difference? Should I try 4 larges eggs ? The receipe just states 6 eggs and doesn't suggest a size.

I am very new to this cooking lark but am really starting to enjoy the first few items I have completed successfully this one is just starting to annoy me!

Here is the recipe:

6 eggs
    1/4 Vanilla Pod Seeds
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons butter melted
    2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
    1/4 cup coconut floor
    Pinch of Nutmeg
    Pinch of Salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 tablespoons sliced almonds

350 F for 40 minutes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this to the Cake & Pie forum since it's a baking question.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Anyone??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never baked this myself and usually bake fairly standard stuff, but looking at the recipe there seem to be an awful lot of wet ingredients and not many dry ones. Are you sure you're not missing some flour in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I'd never heard of coconut flour until I read the OP so my suggestions are not based on practical experience of using it.

After a quick google it appears that it needs a lot of egg to bind it as it does not have any gluten. That explains why the recipe would appear "wet."
    The waxy substance you mention is just the fat from the butter & coconut milk.

Try with a bit less butter and/or low fat coconut milk. If chia seeds are kosher for your diet throw in a teaspoon or two as they will help to bind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Interesting recipe if you get the hang of it OP will you post the slightly changed recipe on here. Never heard of coconut flour..where can you buy it?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will give the modified recipe a go this week.

I will have a look around the shop for a low fat coconut milk. Anyone seen one of these by any chance?

I got the coconut flour here http://www.asiamarket.ie/stores/

They are great for some of ingredients I find that tend to be twice the price in normal supermarkets also.

Strawdub

Hi,

Just to let you know I re-made this again at the weekend. It came out much much better this time, I don't think I let enough air get into the mix and I added more coconut flour. I got a better quality coconut milk also which seems to have help as there was no wax this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

American egg sizes are different to ours - a large american egg is a medium egg here which obviously have made it wetter - glad it worked though.

Advertisement