Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has stopped eating

• 22-09-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Yesterday morning when I fed the 2 mutts, younger dog just stood there looking at her bowl and after a few minutes, just walked away from it, older dog had finished his in nano seconds as per usual. I left her bowl down for about 5 mins then took it up, said nothing, went about my business. Went for our walk later and when we came in I put her food down again, by this time I could hear her tummy rumbling. Still not interested, so I took it up and said nothing. I give them both a small biscuit about midday and she took hers and ate it as usual. Afternoon feed I gave them a tin of sardines in oil mixed with their dry food, which I do once a week, she scoffed it down as usual cos she loves the sardines.

This morning again, she just looked at her bowl and walked away after a couple of mins. So I took the bowl up and put it away. Went for our walk. Just gave them their biscuit and she did her trick for it, took it and went to her usual spot in the garden with it, I was watching her from behind the curtain so she couldn't see me, she just sat there with it, so I left it about 5 mins, went outside and over to her, she was just sat there with the biscuit next to her, so I just took it off her and went back inside, said nothing.

I don't know why she's suddenly become fussy, I'm pretty sure there's nothing actually wrong with her, she's acting like she normally acts, poop is normal, hasn't been sick or anything, the only thing is her tummy is making lots of rumbling noises, I'm presuming this is hunger. Our vet is away for at least another 2 weeks. My worry is, how long should I leave her before I start to worry and try some other food or something, should I even try another food? Im trying not to stress or worry because I know she will pick up on it (she's very tuned in to my moods and very sensitive in general), my husband gave her a bit of toast this morning when I was out of the room and he said she ate it (I have told him no more treats until this is sorted)

Anyone got any ideas of what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Not speaking from experience, but is the general consensus not that if the dog isnt sick, then dont give in before she/he does. Don't let them dictate their food to you and if they are hungry enough they will eat what they are given?

But only if you are happy enough that the dog is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    she's acting like she normally acts, poop is normal, hasn't been sick or anything, the only thing is her tummy is making lots of rumbling noises, I'm presuming this is hunger.

I have a Cocker Spaniel, a very greedy one who could eat all day (both dogs are fed twice a day we don't leave food available). I was extremely concerned too at first as every 3-4 weeks she would not eat for 24 hours, would look at food and go away and the stomach making rumbling noise. she always gets better . . . .

I since changed her food, she is on a cereal free diet and there is never any problems any more. she is thriving, her coat is beautiful and she's full of life.

I couldnt' figure out what it was but I'm happy I sorted this out as it was just way too frequent. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I won't crack before she does, at least I don't think I will.....

falabo, what cereal free food are you feeding now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

feeding them LUKULLUS which can be bought here www.zooplus.ie

it's reasonable price wise for such good food and they only need 200g per day (cocker spaniel size dog)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I don't know why she's suddenly become fussy...

Anyone got any ideas of what I should do?

I had a similar problem recently. Kelly normally has a massive appetite and eats everything. At the time she was on Burns chicken & brown rice. She started to only eat a few kibbles but left most of them. Unlike her. (She had no problem with her chicken based treats.)

The vet checked her out but could find nothing wrong. She thought it might be food intolerance and gave me a bag of RC Sensitivity (duck as main protein). She ate this food no problem.

Burns people thought she could be intolerant to the chicken and suggested duck as a novel protein to try. (Even though Kelly has been on Burns chicken & rice since she was a pup. She is 2 years old.)

I was wondering was it the rice?

So I was on the verge of switching to Burns duck & rice but when I went on ZP there didn't have any 2 x 15kg value bags. So I toke a chance and went with Skinners duck and rice.

She has been on this for about a month and is doing well.

I don't know now whether she is intolerant to chicken or has just gone off Burns?

Skinners has less rice (40% whole rice as opposed to 65% brown rice in Burns). Also more oil and protein. Some people say Burns is too bland so maybe the Skinners tastes better for her?

• Advertisement

I have them on Creavens lamb & rice which is good quality but yes I did think about the rice as well, I think she's just a bit bored of it to be honest, I mean I can't blame her eating the same thing day in and day out!! She ate her dinner this afternoon after we went for a walk, I put their food out, older dog ate his and she just sat on the sofa, then older dog went to tuck into her bowl and I told him 'no' and she hopped off the sofa and tucked in and finished the bowl. She's a contrary little madam really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Tranceypoo - could I ask you to do me a favour? Could you ckeck your girl's name tag and see does it say "Millie":D:D:D If I wasn't looking at her now I would swear you had kidnapped her!!!!
    You have written the story of my life above - I go though that on a regular basis here with my "little madam" - and I also have a nano-second eater like you have, which makes fussy-boots all the harder to understand!
    I have done EVERYTHING! From vet checks to a behaviourist:eek: But she is in perfect health in every way. I, like you, feel she gets bored with the same thing over and over again. I have both of mine on Royal Canin (small kibble as she looks as a larger one in total disgust!!) and at present I am mixing in some cooked chopped chicken or some boiled round steak mince or, believe it or not, a couple of spoons of cheap tinned dog food, which seems to appeal to her at times!!
    Now, I know that I have been of absolutely no help to you whatsoever by posting this - but you have helped me!! I'm off now to invest in some sardines and gives myself the pleasure of seeing Miss Millie clearing her bowl with it new flavour!!:):)

Shazanne that's so funny!! Tell me, can your Millie be very haughty and snooty sometimes, a bit standoffish, a bit moody as well? Literally sometimes it's like she has PMT (she is spayed) if so they're definitely sisters!!

I highly recommend the sardines in oil or mackerel in oil as well, they get a tin each (about 50/60 cent in Aldi) and I mix it in with their dry food (I cut down the dry food amount) so that all the dry nuts get coated, Lily goes absolutely baloobas for it, she literally twirls round the floor and will stay licking her bowl for ages after it's all gone, it stinks the place out but it's worth it, I was also recommended to give them a raw egg in their dinner once in a while as well, haven't tried that yet but I plan to, I'm lucky cos mother in law has chickens so we have a free and fairly endless supply!

I don't want to go down the road of having to put chicken or mince in with her dry food, too much of a pain in the arse for me!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have a fussy one here too, she might sit looking at her food mealtime after mealtime. I had extensive medical tests carried out with her, no problems found.
    But one thing makes me wonder about your little lady... are her teeth okay? Is there something that is making eating sore for her? My own looper has been a chewer of things all of her life, and her teeth are quite worn down. I've been told that this shouldn't be a problem as the dentine retracts as the teeth wear gradually, but I wonder sometimes, if there is pain there. So, I have switched her onto a soft commercial complete diet (NatureDiet), which she eats, but still a bit grudgingly. However, she loves her raw chicken wings, so I just don't know :o
    Could your lady have broken a tooth, or fractured a tooth, or something in her mouth or throat that's not sore unless she eats?
    Otherwise, the rumbly tum, if not rumbling because she's empty, strongly suggests a food intolerance. I think rice causes problems in quite a few dogs... not as many as wheat and other grains do, but I know two of my dogs get very gassy and rumble-tum when they've had rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I dont agree with taking food away but thats just me. Ours gets a certain amount and when thats gone he gets no more but it is available to him whenever he wants it.

• Advertisement

Shazanne that's so funny!! Tell me, can your Millie be very haughty and snooty sometimes, a bit standoffish, a bit moody as well? Literally sometimes it's like she has PMT (she is spayed) if so they're definitely sisters!!

Haughty = check!
    Standoffish = check!
    Moody = check!
    Permanent PMT (also apayed) = Check!
    Plus, stubborn as a mule, clever as a fox and 100% more cunning than her "brother" (poor wee guy!!) She also sometimes waits unlit he inhales his food and then looks and him and goes over to gently nibble hers - while he is left drooling 'cause his is gone! And I have spotted her throwing him the eye and I know she's getting pleasure from it!! She's such a "girl" - and I adore every hair on her complex little body!

And I really thought I was the only one:o:p
    May we (and DBB as well) should start the Fussy Pooch Club, aka The "I am Tuned In to Every Move My Fur Baby Makes and I Worry Endlessly About It Club"

P.S. - I had her teeth checked too - perfect specimens of canine chewers!!!

Hmm, DBB, the teeth thought occured to me too, I have checked her teeth and mouth and everything seems fine, but I'm not a vet so unless it was a really obvious mouth sore or broken tooth I wouldn't know. Normally I would just take her straight to the vet but our regular vet is away and the other vet in the practice is a farm vet and not really good with pets (as I experienced when she got her vaccinations last week - I also wondered if it was a reaction to the vaccinations).

She ate her breakast as normal this morning, in herself she is normal, she doesn't appear to be in any physical pain, again I'm not a vet, all I can do is keep a close eye.

Re the rice, could she have developed an intolerance after eating it for over a year and a half?

Shazanne, that is so good to know, honestly I have never had a dog like her before, but thinking about it, I've only had male dogs before she is my first female, but I love how 'in tune' she is to my moods as well, if I'm upset or even if I'm watching something sad on the tv and have a little blub she will come straight over to me and comfort me (whilst the male snores loudly right next to me!!), it's so sweet!

Hmm, DBB, the teeth thought occured to me too, I have checked her teeth and mouth and everything seems fine, but I'm not a vet so unless it was a really obvious mouth sore or broken tooth I wouldn't know.

This is not foolproof, but you could give her some time away from the other fella and give her a reasonably hard chew toy or chicken wing or the likes, and watch her to see does she chew equally on both sides of her mouth. Would she do this, do you think?

I also wondered if it was a reaction to the vaccinations.

This certainly can't be ruled out

Re the rice, could she have developed an intolerance after eating it for over a year and a half?

Yes, absolutely. My understanidng is that intolerances or allergies are more likely to manifest themselves some time after first being exposed to the allergen, and it seems to me that some dogs, maybe many dogs, don't start to react to food allergens for years. This, of course, lowers the chances of any link being made bwteen the diet and the problem.
    To the best of my knowledge, in many cases, the dog's (or human's, for this applies to us too) system copes with the allergen for x amount of time, keeping a lid on a full-blown reaction. It might bubble up to the surface from time to time with loose stools, flatulence (which quite literally bubbles up to the surface :D), rumble-tum, before eventually starting to get much more problematic: itchy skin, hair loss, behavioural problems etc.
    But then something happens to lower the body's defences a bit: maybe a dose of kennel cough, vaccinations perhaps, a change of environment, or other stresses, and all of a sudden the body just isn't able to keep a lid on things any more, and that's when the intolerance or allergy starts to make its presence felt.
    I've only had male dogs before she is my first female, but I love how 'in tune' she is to my moods as well, if I'm upset or even if I'm watching something sad on the tv and have a little blub she will come straight over to me and comfort me (whilst the male snores loudly right next to me!!), it's so sweet!

Aww:o
    But in defence of males, I have a male and two females here. It's the male who is tuned into me in the same way. He is extremely loyal and devoted, which makes up for the little quirks he has :o

DBB, you are a minefield of information, I need you on speed dial!!

She has eaten her brekkie and dinner today, tummy hasn't rumbled since she started eating again. Re the teeth, I was watching her eating her dinner today and she seemed to be eating normally on both sides of her mouth, when she ate her biscuit the day before yesterday she was up on the grass and I was standing at the wall so she was at my eye level (as the grass is raised) so I was watching quite closely and she definitely seemed to be eating normally then. My plan is to keep a close eye (and ear) on her in the next few days, when my vet gets back in a couple of weeks I will take her in for a check up anyways, if in the meantime I feel something is amiss I will take her to another vet practice.

Saying that about females, my friend has a female Irish terrier and she is very standoffish, unaffectionate and couldn't give a stuff what type of mood you're in, so that blows my theory out of the water!!

Saying that about females, my friend has a female Irish terrier and she is very standoffish, unaffectionate and couldn't give a stuff what type of mood you're in, so that blows my theory out of the water!!

Nah, that's just coz she's an Irish Terrier*! :p

*awaits barage of dissent from Irish Terrier owners!

Have to agree with you Tranceypoo about having DBB on speed dial - I would really love that too!!! Some day you should take a look at all her posts - it's a complete education in pet care!

As regards affection - my Millie loves affection, but on her terms! She can be all up for a cuddle most days but other days she prefers to curl up on her own and keep to herself. Experience has taught me that this is what she like - so who am I to argue????? However, the minute me of my OH sit down on the couch she is in like a shot and even if she is boiling up, nothing will move her:rolleyes: I swear if we sat there for 48 hours straight she wouldn't even look to go for a wee!!
    My little guy Fonzie is a ball of love - he is a real people dog and he loves to interact all the time:) Even his groomer has remarked that he gets more excited than any other dog she grooms when I come to pick him up:):) If he's upstairs with me he'll wait until I am ready to go down with him, even if Millie has gone tearing down ahead of him, and he lies at my feet if I am sitting at the counter. He's not really a sit on the couch dog though as he gets too warm, so he'll hop down and lie on the floor in front of the couch - but he'll never be too far away.
    These two little fur-babies make me so happy every day of their lives:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Give her something nice to eat. Like fresh meat. You'd go off that stuff fairly quick too. Same price, twice as nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

To be honest this rings a bell with me. Loves treats... so nothing wrong with the appetite. She's probably just bored of the food shes on.

Try some boiled rice and green beans with chicken and a high quality dry feed through it. My dog loves this and gets so excited for food now. For a 9 year old her energy has noticably improved.

Best of luck with it OP :)

Thanks all, she's mostly ok although still not 100% but I honestly think she's bored with her food, she's been to the vet and was given an antibiotic shot in case it was an infection and advised bland food for a couple of days, I've switched her food to Barking Heads Salmon which also contains no rice just in case it's that and she's mostly eating it but not all the time. I just really don't want to go down the road of chicken, rice etc because I can't really afford to be buying her chicken breasts and cooking them up every day plus I don't think it's fair on the other dog. This afternoon I put a bit of hot water over her food to 'bring out the aroma of the salmon' (bleugh!) and she ate it.

I'm going to continue to monitor her but in my heart I think she's just a bloody fusspot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

even doing it once or twice a week might help her get back into the swing of things anyway.

let us know how she gets on :)

• Advertisement

Antibiotic shot. Incredible. Jabs should be a last resort on all counts. With zero grounding your vet jabs and charges you for a blind hit and hope. Recommend some lof fat pro biotic yoghurt to help her digestive system recover from that one. Though there's no recouping the money spent.

It's just inappetance. A few tins of sardines (35cents in aldi / lidl) coaxes most dogs into eating dry food. The ones in tomato sauce much better than veg oil, there's enough of that already in dry food. Also veg oil (high in omega 6) cancels all the benefit of eating oily fish in the first place (omega 3)! Theres more nutritional punch in one little tin of sardines than a whole heap of whatever food your dog is telling you is plain gross. Meat is half price in most supermarkets on weekends, costing around €1.50/kg, probably far less than what you're paying per kilo at mo! Look for half price chicken, best before not bad after stuff, ask butcher what bits and pieces they have and when's a good time to pick up, or find a butcher that debones his own chickens (thats lots of them) and pick up his carcasses for nothing!! Lots of ways to get cheap but extremely tasty and nutritious stuff in there! And don't bother cooking them, dogs want it raw and bloody, eyes and all!!

When you think about it, if a dog can't eat it.......

A tip I was given (well, one of the many I was given!) was to either pop the food in the microwave for a few seconds or toss it on the pan - which brings out the oils and flavours. Fussy Butt here watched me completing every move - had a sniff and thought "great, I'll give it a try" and ate away. That was Day One. Day Two she ate some and Day Three she decided "this is not really all that different" and we were back to Square One - where we spend a considerable amount of our lives!!
    The few spoons of cooked mince continues to go well at the moment. Plus - a good 12 hours between feeds. I was feeding at 7a.m and again when we were home from work at about 5.30p.m. I have moved out the second feed to 7p.m. so she will be that bit hungrier.
    Isn't pet ownership a joy!!:eek::rolleyes::D

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Antibiotic shot. Incredible. Jabs should be a last resort on all counts. With zero grounding your vet jabs and charges you for a blind hit and hope. Recommend some lof fat pro biotic yoghurt to help her digestive system recover from that one. Though there's no recouping the money spent.

It's just inappetance. A few tins of sardines (35cents in aldi / lidl) coaxes most dogs into eating dry food. The ones in tomato sauce much better than veg oil, there's enough of that already in dry food. Also veg oil (high in omega 6) cancels all the benefit of eating oily fish in the first place (omega 3)! Theres more nutritional punch in one little tin of sardines than a whole heap of whatever food your dog is telling you is plain gross. Meat is half price in most supermarkets on weekends, costing around €1.50/kg, probably far less than what you're paying per kilo at mo! Look for half price chicken, best before not bad after stuff, ask butcher what bits and pieces they have and when's a good time to pick up, or find a butcher that debones his own chickens (thats lots of them) and pick up his carcasses for nothing!! Lots of ways to get cheap but extremely tasty and nutritious stuff in there! And don't bother cooking them, dogs want it raw and bloody, eyes and all!!

When you think about it, if a dog can't eat it.......

I have to agree with you re the shot, I kicked myself afterwards for being gullible enough to fall for it, never thought of a pro-biotic but will look into that for sure.

I'm not going down the raw meat route right now for so many reasons which I won't bore anyone with. I do give them a tin of sardines or mackerel once a week, the ones in sunflower oil, I thought that was the best, do you think the ones in tomatoe sauce are better? Surely they're full of sugar?

Maybe they are, good point, must check that out. I would imagine it's negligible mind. Brings to mind the whole pointlessness of "probiotic yoghurts", which are loaded with sugar to make them tasty, and sugar is inflammatory!

I know lots disagree but veg oil is no good for dry fed dogs, they have buckets of it already in their crackers and vit E, vital for processing oil, is proven to decrease over months in dry food (REF avail on req). While vit E levels are tested once the stuff is made (to ensure the pellets contain the minimum required for the dog) manufacturers are not accountable for levels months down the line, and after manufacturing it's stored, shipped and stored again. It's really unstable Vit E, regardless of preservative used (as are B vits, all the water soluble ones in fact).

Even tinned stuff in brine is better than veg oil. Brine is 1% salt, dry foods start at that.

Is there such thing as sardines in fresh water? There is for little tins of mackerel, same price, not as good though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dogsfirst, whats the best oil you recommend adding to their diet to help with general health, coat etc? I used to feed Salmon Oil and now feed Flax/Linseed oil and my dogs coats are in fantastic condition.

As you probably know i show my dogs so need them in tip top condition and find the Flax great.

But do recommend another one that could or might be better?

andreac wrote: »
    Dogsfirst, whats the best oil you recommend adding to their diet to help with general health, coat etc? I used to feed Salmon Oil and now feed Flax/Linseed oil and my dogs coats are in fantastic condition.

As you probably know i show my dogs so need them in tip top condition and find the Flax great.

But do recommend another one that could or might be better?

Andrea, why did you switch from the salmon oil as I was thinking of getting some of that! How are they on the flax oil, from personal experience (a detox which included 2 tbspns of flax oil per day) I know that flax oil is one of the most vile things I ever tasted, I would wonder how my dogs would fare on it! Is it just for their coats you're using it or are there other benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Andrea, why did you switch from the salmon oil as I was thinking of getting some of that! How are they on the flax oil, from personal experience (a detox which included 2 tbspns of flax oil per day) I know that flax oil is one of the most vile things I ever tasted, I would wonder how my dogs would fare on it! Is it just for their coats you're using it or are there other benefits?

I just tried something different, my friend had her dogs on it and they were in great condition so just thought id try something different. I can buy it in bulk, 5l at the local horse shop and it last ages.

Mine dont even taste it, its mixed in with their food, a few squirts of each every evening.

Flax oil tastes pretty bad alright but cold pressed it's excellent stuff, choc a bloc with omega 3 and low in omega 6, it's one of the best veg oils. Also great is safflower (same as flax but higher in vit E). Primrose oil (half a teaspoon now and again) to make coats pop but not as great re o3 and vit E. My favourite is safflower though its a toss up. Salmon oil great too, always a good 'un though totally over priced. Never buy "pet" brands, same as human stuff but twice the price. Buy in lidl, or feed salmon heads from frozen if you can find 'em (best source of fish oil, eyes, brains etc are excellent nutrition, great source of protein and free!!).

Make sure you're oils are in brown bottles and cold pressed, very important. And every other day is best advice. Particularly for dry fed dogs.

It's the sunflower oil that is absolutely useless, high in omega 6, zero nutritional benefit. Cheap and nasty.

Great stuff!! 5l, that'll do, as long as theres no other stuff in there!

One thing re 5l loads is oxidisation once top is popped. Dogs will take ages to go through that load. Oils are extremely volatile, hate oxygen and sunlight. If you're using the same bottle for too long you can expect oxidisation of alst few litres, this is the creation of free radicles which are disastorous for the body. Hence brown bottles etc and why dry food sold in clear bags should absolutely be avoided at all costs.

Maybe get the 5l and distribute into 1l bottles and store in dark, cool place.

• Advertisement

Great info dogsfirst, thanks!! When I was using the flax I was advised to store it in the fridge. I can't even bear the smell of it though, I think i would rather cut up a fish head (excuse me while I hurl), think I will invest in some salmon oil, last question - can you get salmon oil that isn't specifically for animals and therefore twice the price?!

Advertisement