Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C3 in Irish for Primary Teaching (In 1 year)

• 22-09-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, i'm a first year Law student who's not comfortable with my course and nearly sure i'm going to go back to school to get the entry requirement for Irish for Primary Teaching.

I did the Leaving last year, and got 525 but unfortunately sat the Ordinary Level Paper and received an A1.

Now, i'm not going to lie, my Irish is extremely basic, and I would have to go back to the very beginning and learn the different tenses/how to make verbs/ agreements in gender etc. Basically i'd have to do the course from scratch.

Does anyone think it would be at all possible to start from the beginning and get the C3 in Irish this year?

I would only be sitting Irish as I have the points/other entry requirements from the Leaving Certificate 2012.

Thanks guys for all opinions/advice in advance, if you could recommend books/revision books or anything else to help out i'd be appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

If you got an A1 in OL it would definitely be possible. I did Ordinary Level up until around February of 5th year, and was finding it a bit easy, and decided to move up to HL cause I really liked learning Irish and wanted a challenge. Finding Higher level grand, a lot more learning obviously, but nothing impossible at all. Would be completely possible to do in a year, especially when it's going to be your only subject. You do know you're going to have to learn a new 20 sraith pictures for the oral though ? But yeah, it's definitely possible! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

As I said, your oral is clearly great (an A1 standard oral is 216/240!), and honestly the exam isn't hard imo...the essay could be, but the poetry/prose/an triail are all fine, and the comprehensions are so easy. I think you'd get a B or an A, especially since you're not repeating for points.

My advice is just learn the grammar inside out (I had to improvise my essay on the day completely), learn useful and versatile expressions, and as always ANSWER THE QUESTIONS :P I never learned the stories or any deep aspects of An Triail, I just twisted the plot every time to fit the question and it worked. Find a summary of it and focus more on that than the prose since its worth more. Any questions you can feel free to PM me too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Hi pictureframe,
    I also did Honours Irish years ago and received a C2 just by attending class and doing work given.
    Tbh I did no extra work outside of that so I reckon at least a B3 is easily achievable with a with a bit of work.
    I think you would have no trouble at all achieving a C3 for primary teaching.
    Best of luck with and honestly you have nothing to worry about:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

I'd say definately go for it :)... I'm in Mary I at the moment and i can say the extra work will be certainly worth it. Like others have said your oral mark was great but dont get complacent focus on the oral again ...especially the new sraith pictiúrs...listen to irish on a daily basis and really embrace the subject...you never know you cud end up with an a1. Yo'll have plenty of time put everything in to it and youll be having a great time up here in Mary I next year.

Go n-éirí go geal leat !

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

I'm also a first year student in MIC and although you may look forward to the job you will hopefully have afterwards do your research into what the course entails first! I know a few people who have dropped out already for this reason. Make sure you ask someone about all the details, especially about the new course. The workload is much less than before but not all the modules are what you'd expect the course to entail. Anyone who's currently here would know the tedious ones I mean! The majority of the subjects are geared towards a future of teaching and are interesting and enjoyable! Sorry if this seems negative, I don't mean it to be, Mary I really is a wonderful college. The SU and student services are incredible and it really has a friendly atmosphere but make sure you know what you're getting yourself in for first!

Also, make sure you LOVE Gaeilge and are willing to spend a great portion of your life speaking and teaching it in the classroom. There is quite an emphasis on Irish and how student teachers should encourage and promote it within the classroom. It could be a massive struggle for you personally to teach a language that you have no passion for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement