Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Gratin without cream

Options
  • 22-09-2012 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a recipe for potato gratin without cream? I don't have any cream in the house and don't fancy pay over 2e for a tub in the local shop.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Use vegetable or chicken stock. Add fried onions, nutmeg black pepper and you have potatoes boulangères.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, was going to recommend just making boulangeres, between starch from the spuds getting into the water and a lot of the water being absorbed by the veg it ends up being up not being very wet at all.

Lovely side dish for roast meats.

ingredients

1oz/30g butter
    675g/1½ lb Rooster potatoes, washed with the skin on and very thinly sliced
    1 large onion, peeled very thinly sliced
    1 large leek, washed and thinly sliced
    Freshly ground black pepper
    200ml/7 fluid oz of chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas Mk 3.

Method:
    Butter a pie dish and arrange the potatoes in layers with the onion and sliced leeks adding plenty of black pepper as you go.
    Arrange the top layer potatoes in overlapping slices, dot with the remaining butter and pour in the stock.
    Press the potatoes down firmly.
    Bake for 2 hours or until the potatoes are tender and the top browned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Use full fat milk instead of cream. I make dauphinoise potatoes in an oven proof pan. Adding crushed garlic, butter and salt to thinly sliced potato in a frying pan in layers. I cover the spuds with milk, bring to a simmer and cook until the potato is soft, checking with a knife. Then top with cheese and finish in the oven or under the grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement