Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 Owners Thread!

• 22-09-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭

Just putting this thread up for people who already have an iphone 5 to help each other with tips/tricks and how there actually finding the phone.

For me I like the phone, it's light, thin, good sized screen and is in general a well built phone.
    I've only being using it now for 24hrs but have had to do a lot of charging. Today I started using the phone around 8.30am i'm now charging it again at lunch time as it's nearly flat already, I was not using the internet just a good few phone calls, i'm hoping the battery will settle over the next few days.

What's your thoughts so far?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have it since 9am Friday. Using it since 4pm Friday.
    I'm coming from a 4.

Feel of the phone is fantastic.
    Screen is great.
    Siri is deadly and have actually used it a lot more than I thought I would, not just a gimic!
    Look of the phone is great, the 4/4s was already a great looking phone so this is just another adoption of that.
    The extra space on screen while surfing is very beneficial.
    The lightness is surprising, I initially thought it was too light compared to the 4 buts its growing on me now.
    The thinness of the phone means that the screen increase doesn't stop you from reaching all 4 corners of the screen I using one hand.
    I was very outspoken about the size of the S3 screen and still maintain its too big and I was worried that the iPhone 5 screen size would of not to be my taste buts its perfect. Maybe an increase in width would visually look more proportionate but then you lose the 16:9 ratio so it would be wasted.

I'm a bit confused as my yahoo contacts are not updating anymore and that's somewhere that I need to look at in more depth.
    Maps, where do I start. They are not as good as google, but we expected that. They work for the casual user just trying to see where they are or looking for but I bet in 6 months time they will have improved ten fold.

Battery is better than my 4. Played with it all last night and up until 1pm today still had 52%.

Screen sensitivity is flawed at present as I'm still running the stock clear plastic coating on it, chopped at both ends of course until I decide what case I will use and if I will fit a protector or not. I'm currently swaying towards no screen protector and a simple wrap around bumper.

I actually like the Facebook integration with the stock calendar app, I've never done that before
    Hope that helps and ill post more as I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had to pull off the plastic could't use it properly. Nice one on the calendar app I hadn't noticed it, might stop me forgetting peoples birthdays.
    Wish my battery was like yours.

I had to pull off the plastic could't use it properly. Nice one on the calendar app I hadn't noticed it, might stop me forgetting peoples birthdays.
    Wish my battery was like yours.

I'm this close to removing the plastic now. It's not fair hiding the screens real beauty!

I've ordered a bumper from deal extreme and a screen protector from eBay so will decide what way to use them when they arrive.

Anybody any idea on insurance? Gadgetinsurance.ie seems to be the front runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kceire wrote: »
    I'm this close to removing the plastic now. It's not fair hiding the screens real beauty!

I've ordered a bumper from deal extreme and a screen protector from eBay so will decide what way to use them when they arrive.

Anybody any idea on insurance? Gadgetinsurance.ie seems to be the front runner.

Surely the plastic would interfere with the touchscreen?

Also why do you really need a screen protector?
    It's scratch resistant.

Had a 4s for a year now without a protector bumper and there's literally not a mark on it.

Hate covers/bumpers as they only make the phone look ugly.

Iphone is nice design and prefer the look of it as it is.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely the plastic would interfere with the touchscreen?

Also why do you really need a screen protector?
    It's scratch resistant.

Had a 4s for a year now without a protector bumper and there's literally not a mark on it.

Hate covers/bumpers as they only make the phone look ugly.

Iphone is nice design and prefer the look of it as it is.

It doesn't interfere with it as such, sometimes scrolling is affected alright.
    Suppose I'm just paranoid :) but I've actually removed it since my last post.

Totally agree on e clean design and would love not to use any cover but drops do happen I'm afraid when you have butter for fingers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Sharp2012

Can anyone tell me if a 30 pin to 9 pin adapter was included in the box,
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Sharp2012 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if a 30 pin to 9 pin adapter was included in the box,
    Thanks

No it was not!

fox007 wrote: »
    No it was not!

It should have been, and if not it should have least been on sale as well but you couldn't buy one yesterday.
    I'm going to buy a china one for a few euro, apple price is off the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kceire wrote: »
    It doesn't interfere with it as such, sometimes scrolling is affected alright.
    Suppose I'm just paranoid :) but I've actually removed it since my last post.

Totally agree on e clean design and would love not to use any cover but drops do happen I'm afraid when you have butter for fingers :D

Dropped my phone a few times and it's fine.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Dropped my phone a few times and it's fine.

The 5 feels bendy, I don't know if it's as tough. The case is a lot more plastic feeling not on s3 standards but not as tough as i'd have liked. Still you can't have it all, less weight with stronger housing wasn't going to happen. The back of it is also very prone to scratches, mine is already scratched after minding it with kid gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Got mine this morning from the UK,

Very happy so far but haven't had much of a play yet.

One thing i have noticed is that most of the Apps i've used are not yet updated to
    fully utilize the larger screen which is a disappointment.

One thing i have noticed is that most of the Apps i've used are not yet updated to
    fully utilize the larger screen which is a disappointment.

Yea I was a bit surprised at that. All the apps are small bar the ones that came with the phone. It just centers them rather than stretch them. Never seen that happen on android regardless of the phone size, what works on an s3 works on a Europa bit of a boo boo by apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Yea I was a bit surprised at that. All the apps are small bar the ones that came with the phone. It just centers them rather than stretch them. Never seen that happen on android regardless of the phone size, what works on an s3 works on a Europa bit of a boo boo by apple.

To be fair, that's completely down to the individual developers of the apps. I believe Auto Layout (a tool you can use to make stretchy UIs) has been available to developers in beta for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Is anyone else having trouble with mirroring to atv2 via iPhone 5 all I'm getting is sound no picture? Works fine on my wife's 4s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Still you can't have it all, less weight with stronger housing wasn't going to happen.

These seem to think apple have managed to make it stronger : http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-drop-and-durability-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

any buyers of the black iphone noticing scratches on the phone easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

i had the europa and a lot of the apps had bits of the screen missing

3 Days In :

Phone is getting better and better imo.
    Its very noticeably faster than my 4.

Holding it and typing etc, it just feels great now and the smoothness of using it and swapping pages, apps etc is fantastic.

Really glad i upgraded from the 4.
    If i had the 4S, i'd keep that and enjoy it on iOS6 until the 5S/6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

A few questions for you lucky owners.

1. How is the oleophobic coating?

2. There have been reports that when you press down on the screen it causes the LCD to flex (like it does to LCD screens that have no cover on them)

3. How does the screen compare to the iPad retina display?

4. How is the vibration?

5. On the black one is the apple logo smooth or rubbery like on the iPad?

That's about it for now.

Thanks.

mad muffin wrote: »
    1. How is the oleophobic coating?

2. There have been reports that when you press down on the screen it causes the LCD to flex (like it does to LCD screens that have no cover on them)

3. How does the screen compare to the iPad retina display?

4. How is the vibration?

5. On the black one is the apple logo smooth or rubbery like on the iPad?

1. I bought white and its perfect. Im minding it like a baby at the moment though and ordered a bumper to see what its like with one. The feel of the phone is excellent imo.

2. I pressed down on it just there, as hard as i could without being over the top or risking it and it didnt flex at all.

3. I have no access to an iPad 3 so cant comment

4. Vibration as in when ringing? : feels stronger than my old 4 in that regards.

5. on my white one, the rear is kind of matt and then the apple loggo is smooth but not rubber feel, more so smooth gloss feel.

One other thing ive noticed is everything happens so much quicker. Sending SMS goes very quick, just there i sent a group text to 12 people, i do it every monday for football and normally it takes a minute or so for the status bar to go through, but now with this 5, they all went in about 6 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

I got mine yesterday evening. It's a mixed bag so far. It's a really nice looking phone but it dents easily and really needs a case.

I'm coming from Android (Galaxy S2 with custom rom). I got the SGS2 last year. Before that I had iPhones right from 2007. Even still, it's a big jump for me as I got so accustomed to android. It'll take some getting used to so I'm going to reserve judgement for a few weeks.

Still though I have to get used to the smaller screen. The OS is nice but very "samey", but I do like the general polish it has over android. However I'm getting frustrated over some things which were so easy and intuitive in android that just aren't here.

For example the settings menu is is a complete clusterf*ck. Very unintuitive. There's no easy wifi toggle, I have to go into a few menus before I get that. I use it a lot. There's no task manager to see what apps are draining the battery. There's no way to set a download limit so I don't go over 1GB on my plan (built into android). Web scrolling in safari is very slow for some reason. And you can't get delivery reports for SMS. Just some things off the top of my head.

I know it's a different OS and things are done differently. I'm waiting for the jailbreak so I can fix most of these issues.

On the plus side, siri is good. It's fast. Blows even the SGS3 out of the water in benchmarks. Safari is good. iCloud is good for copying notes and reminders universally over to OSX (when I get 10.8 on my mac!). The screen is good. The OS is smooth and responsive.

I'll need time to readjust to iOS after so long with the droid but I generally like it so far, and when the jailbreak is released things should get even better.

Advertisement