Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you carry your expensive coffee like it's a trophy?

• 22-09-2012 2:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

That's the impression I often get when I see people walking by with their plastic cup of coffee held aloft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I attach mine to a lead and let it trail along the ground, like a normal person.

I can't imagine why, or even how, someone could hold a cup of coffee in their hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Over my head with both hands?? Don't be silly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

People buying one of them every morning, despite the fact theres coffee and a kettle provided in work, then complaining they've no money left two weeks into the month....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kwiecien

then I brings it home and puts it in my trophy/coffee cabinet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I have a hardhat like a "foam dome".

I like to keep my 12 oz low fat choco mocha frappa latte on the left and my iced tea with hand squeezed pomegranite bits on the right.

It's just how I roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I had to put a hole in the bottom of mine as people kept filling it with alcohol and started passing it around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I had to put a hole in the bottom of mine as people kept filling it with alcohol and started passing it around!

What was your excuse with the popcorn then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'm a bit weird, I usually just drink mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I hold my out in front of me and sit at ATMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Nodin wrote: »
    What was your excuse with the popcorn then?
    I do everything I see Mickey Rourke do. Now, off for some botox!

• Advertisement

I hold my out in front of me and sit at ATMs.

How's that working out for ya?

I think I know you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ah here, it's hardly that expensive is it? I get one everyday in college, venti of course. But I don't hold it like a trophy. I drink mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Gauss wrote: »
    That's the impression I often get when I see people walking by with their plastic cup of coffee held aloft.

You've a few aul bees in your bonnet, don't you? If you're not declaring that anyone 30 and over are knackered, it's those pesky couples that kiss each other.

While in college I would have picked up a coffee somewhere and made my way in, so I'm probably one of the sorts you're giving out about. Now, if I head out in the car I stop off at the shop and sip between lights. I appreciate a nice cuppa in the morning, so where is the problem?

Abi wrote: »
    You've a few aul bees in your bonnet, don't you? If you're not declaring that anyone 30 and over are knackered, it's those pesky couples that kiss each other.

While in college I would have picked up a coffee somewhere and made my way in, so I'm probably one of the sorts you're giving out about. Now, if I head out in the car I stop off at the shop and sip between lights. I appreciate a nice cuppa in the morning, so where is the problem?

Kick his ass Abi!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

Why drink coffee when you can be a big child like me and get a big steaming hot chocolate!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Pansing Denis

Op, relax, here's what's happening: they're letting their coffee cool down, they'll drink it when it isn't scorching hot. In the meantime they're walking to wherever they're going, and your weird unhappy mind is making shit up because you hate your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Why drink coffee when you can be a big child like me and get a big steaming hot chocolate!!

I thought the same till I had Colombian coffee, Juan Valdez is a demi-god, he effected me so bad I don't even drink tea anymore! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Coffee drinkers are such bull****ters in fairness, especially those who look at a cup of instant coffee as if it were a jar full of fungus. Posh slags the lot of them.

"Oh, I never drink instant, well I used to when I was anorexic to help me throw up but loike not anymore."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

benwavner wrote: »
    I like to keep my 12 oz low fat choco mocha frappa latte on the left and my iced tea with hand squeezed pomegranite bits on the right.

Now I know who you are, why you're Dr. Frasier Crane.

Now I know who you are, why you're Dr. Frasier Crane.

Sshhhhh, Im not a doctor anymore. I made a few boo boo's :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Coffee drinkers are such bull****ters in fairness, especially those who look at a cup of instant coffee as if it were a jar full of fungus. Posh slags the lot of them.

"Oh, I never drink instant, well I used to when I was anorexic to help me throw up but loike not anymore."

Coffee in (most) cafes tastes nicer. Not necessarily a snobby thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

I don't drink my trophies nor polish my coffees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Nope, I take the cup from the coffee shop, put it in my rucksack (upside down, for good measure) and walk on with boiling liquid soaking through my bag and coat. Great for cold mornings, you should try it :pac:

(What way do you expect them to carry a cup of hot liquid?! As long as they don't hold it up over their heads with two hands and make an acceptance speech... and if they do, you've got some seriously strange friends!)

Coffee in (most) cafes tastes nicer. Not necessarily a snobby thing.
    You're just not making the instant right if that's the case.

It's funny how bad, unintelligent trolls and ignorant, unpleasant people are often indistinguishable from each other online.

It's funny how bad, unintelligent trolls and ignorant, unpleasant people are often indistinguishable from each other online.
    I'm guessing you're one of those who look down on instant coffee.

benwavner wrote: »
    Sshhhhh, Im not a doctor anymore. I made felt up a few boob boob's :(

Fixed :pac:

I drink espresso, I don't look down, up, left or right at what other people might or might not drink. You seem like a pretty wretched person.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

I hold mine "aloft" because otherwise some eejit will knock it out of my hand, get hot coffee all over themselves (and me) and cause a big ol' fuss. Much easier to hold it up high!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I carry my 100 euro coffee like it's a baby, all the while snacking on some caviar on the way to the museum.

I drink espresso, I don't look down, up, left or right at what other people might or might not drink. You seem like a pretty wretched person.
    Eek, espresso drinkers ... Let's not even go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pretty Wretched is a tad extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I love the ones who rush out of the house at the last second for work & don't have time to boil the kettle let alone eat breakfast yet somehow find time to stop off for coffee on the way to their job.

Eek, espresso drinkers ... Let's not even go there.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Pretty Wretched is a tad extreme
    Just ignore him, he's an espresso-snob.

• Advertisement

Fixed :pac:

Heh heh heh, you know me so well.

We must get together for coffee sometime. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

zerks wrote: »
    I love the ones who rush out of the house at the last second for work & don't have time to boil the kettle let alone eat breakfast yet somehow find time to stop off for coffee on the way to their job.

To be fair, if you leave 5 minutes earlier you can sometimes save yourself a hell of a lot of time on the commute by being just ahead of the traffic. All that time saved can then be spent standing in line at the coffee shop. Simples :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I like the ones with heated milk. Think they're called Lattés.
    But I like the cheap stuff too, I'm posh and not, all at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I don't get this attitude. How else are people supposed to hold it? It's a hot liquid, you need to hold it straight. I'm not a coffee drinker but do this with the occasional takeaway tea I buy.

• I never get this mentality, OP.

People buy coffee because they like it. They hold it in their hand because where else are they going to put hot coffee? They drink it on the go because they don't have time to sit down and drink it in the place. How on earth do you get from that that people are holding coffee 'like a trophy'? It's a fecking 3 euro cup of coffee, not a Gucci bag.

Do you complain when people walk around with a can of Coke or a Mars bar? Do you think people are showing off when they walk around eating Taytos?

People are just living their lives, OP. If I were you, I'd ask myself why on earth I even care/notice this. It's actually bordering on hilarious that you think people go to Starbucks or Costa to show off the cup so people will think they're rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

You're just not making the instant right if that's the case.

Put in the instant, then the boiling water? I reckon I'm making it right. Maybe you're not getting a good cup of coffee in cafes. Given the freshness of the beans, the process in getting the flavour from the beans and the correct temperature of the water, it's probably this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I like the ones with heated milk. Think they're called Lattés.
    But I like the cheap stuff too, I'm posh and not, all at the same time.

Same. I love my coffee and have a little process from grinding the beans down to the amount of time I should let it percolate but when I wake up I have a nescafe gold blend within about 1 minute just for the sheer convenience of it.

On the rare occasion I get one, I do carry it carefully, because last time I didn't, some foam came out of the little sip part

bluewolf wrote: »
    On the rare occasion I get one, I do carry it carefully, because last time I didn't, some foam came out of the little sip part

Omg!! are you okay! :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I keep one of these in my locker in college. I save a fortune on coffee and have the nicest brew on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Coffee doesn't make you throw up. :confused: Unless it's instant, of course because instant is fooking disgusting. I like a good cup of coffee like I like a good pint and have become quite the expert in the last number of years (I'm a trained barista as well!). if you drink enough of the real stuff, you don't go back. :cool:

I can hear your eyes raise to heaven and your teeth grinding from here and that's made my day tbh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

zerks wrote: »

For the love of god, a takeaway coffee is much nicer than anything you could make at home unless you'd a super dooper fancy coffee machine.

What do people have against people treating themselves now and then and getting their pleasures where they can? Why would you begrudge them for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    For the love of god, a takeaway coffee is much nicer than anything you could make at home unless you'd a super dooper fancy coffee machine.

What do people have against people treating themselves now and then and getting their pleasures where they can? Why would you begrudge them for that?

because they have no standereds and dont seem to understand the concept of enjoying what you put in your mouth to them its nothing but substanance much like over cooked carrots ;) wwww

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Good to see I have a fan of my work

No problem, just an observation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

I never get this mentality, OP.

People buy coffee because they like it. They hold it in their hand because where else are they going to put hot coffee? They drink it on the go because they don't have time to sit down and drink it in the place. How on earth do you get from that that people are holding coffee 'like a trophy'? It's a fecking 3 euro cup of coffee, not a Gucci bag.

Do you complain when people walk around with a can of Coke or a Mars bar? Do you think people are showing off when they walk around eating Taytos?

People are just living their lives, OP. If I were you, I'd ask myself why on earth I even care/notice this. It's actually bordering on hilarious that you think people go to Starbucks or Costa to show off the cup so people will think they're rich.

I never complained. I notice this because I like to watch the world around me that I'm living in.

I find they hold the coffe cup higher up than when see people hold other similar cups like a McDonald's drink for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement