Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paulstretch...

• 22-09-2012 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Just started messing around with this, and can see how it could aid in producing or writing. I have some ideas in my head where it could work, but interested to heard if/how others use it?

Rather than record a guitar track, I was thinking of recording it separately, stretching it and building the bass and drums around it then.

Vocals sound really haunting through this Paulstretch effect..........:cool::cool:

I am also thinking one chord at a time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭dasdog

Great tool. Slayer sound mental through it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

The effect (not Paul Stretch), used to be used a lot in early 90s shoe gazer - to give very complex background textures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭dasdog

Turn the curved dial on a few grands worth of rack equipment if your could afford it. Nice one OP, didn't take long but I nice afternoon with very little effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've just been using the effect in audacity. I have just used the default settings while messing around, but it slows it down WAY too much, so trying to find a happy medium.

I am thinking of just recording some basic chords, one at a time, then slow down the chords to use them as soundscapes in other tunes.

Another thing I am thinking of is to record some clean guitar chord progressions at 120 bpm. Slow it down, then record drums, keys, over dub guitars over that...

I believe there is a win 32 bit download available of a standalone stretch tool? Is there a 64 bit? Can't find it anywhere....

dasdog wrote: »
    Turn the curved dial on a few grands worth of rack equipment if your could afford it. Nice one OP, didn't take long but I nice afternoon with very little effort.

That sounds like really great music for film.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    I am thinking of just recording some basic chords, one at a time, then slow down the chords to use them as soundscapes in other tunes.

The stretch effect, is the magic the Brian Eno used on Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree.

That really is the atmospheric magic of those records. I'm pretty sure he did it all with just tape machines.
    Another thing I am thinking of is to record some clean guitar chord progressions at 120 bpm. Slow it down, then record drums, keys, over dub guitars over that...

Go crazy.
    I believe there is a win 32 bit download available of a standalone stretch tool?

Yeah that's the original Paul Stretch application.
    Is there a 64 bit? Can't find it anywhere....

You don't need 64 bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I've used it a bit with field recordings and liked the results. Quite a few of the urban recordings I've made in Berlin have gone through through Paulsstretch and then had the unstretched versions layered on top with synths and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ah I see. So should I just use the effect in audacity and fire away with that.............? Or should I download another application for better results!

seachto7 wrote: »
    ah I see. So should I just use the effect in audacity and fire away with that.............? Or should I download another application for better results!

The full application has a lot of little features. Results tend to be unpredictable. Sometimes you expect something and you just get muck. Other times something surprising comes out.

Like Justin Bieber

Advertisement