Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cdr Bill King, last surviving WWII submarine commander dies in Co Galway, aged 102

Options
  • 22-09-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭

Wartime submarine commander and adventurer Bill King, who lived at Oranmore Castle in Co Galway has died at the age of 102.

He was believed to have been the only surviving submarine commander from the second World War.

In 1967, Cdr King set out to sail the world in a purpose-built boat he constructed himself. The two-masted Galway Blazer II twice failed to circumnavigate the world. At 58, he became the oldest participant in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race in 1968.

He eventually achieved his goal of sailing singlehandedly around the world in 1970.

Cdr King had first settled in Galway in 1946 when he and his wife, Anita Leslie, bought Oranmore Castle for £200.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0922/1224324272443.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Quite a man. I happen to live in the same village, and I had the pleasure of once visiting his castle, wonderful experience and a great man, very pleasant. He could be seen in his 90's, wearing shorts and strolling down to the village, not a bother. The local library has a glass case with his works on display, makes for fantastic reading. Here's a view we took from the castle one night....

313435522a8281187723l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I wonder was that the pier from which he set off on his round-the-world voyages . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I finally got a copy of his book, "The Stick and The Stars". Half way through and an excellent book. I dont think he left from Ireland on the yacht, rather he sailed it directly from the yard she was built in, and then to Gibraltar, and onwards from there. There doesnt seem to be much in the book about the trip, but may be in some of his later books.

p.s. If you search on ABEBOOKS.com you can find some of his books, but they mostly seem to be in the USA.

Advertisement