Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor/Patio garden.

Options
  • 22-09-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

So I've moved into an apartment and I've got no garden but still feel a need for some green.

I've got a small balcony and a largish patio type space (all concrete) as well as some space inside for potted plants and the like so I was thinking of making some planters from old tyres and scrap wood and the like as well as buying some mid-sized pots for inside the house and starting my own garden.

The problem is, I don't really have any experience and I don't really know what I'm doing. Ideally I'd like to grow things I can eat rather than flowers and the like (so herbs, berries, tomatoes, strawberries and the like).

So what (if anything) can I actually plant at this time of year with winter around the corner? What will survive outside and what will have to be kept inside away from the cold and all that? And what else do I have to consider?
    Basically, any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

So I've moved into an apartment and I've got no garden but still feel a need for some green.

I've got a small balcony and a largish patio type space (all concrete) as well as some space inside for potted plants and the like so I was thinking of making some planters from old tyres and scrap wood and the like as well as buying some mid-sized pots for inside the house and starting my own garden.

The problem is, I don't really have any experience and I don't really know what I'm doing. Ideally I'd like to grow things I can eat rather than flowers and the like (so herbs, berries, tomatoes, strawberries and the like).

So what (if anything) can I actually plant at this time of year with winter around the corner? What will survive outside and what will have to be kept inside away from the cold and all that? And what else do I have to consider?
    Basically, any advice is appreciated.
    Pelorgoniums are great hassel free balcony plants. If you have a bit of wall they can be fixed on to wall in pots. as well there are different types trailing, larger , smaller etc and these can be mixed easily with other plants. Rem plants in pots need frequent watering. More exotic , agave , musa. Canna.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Hello Tonyandthewhale Oriental brassicas like rocket are good to grow this time of year inside, here is a good article on growing now: seedling plants for autumn winter production.
    The seeds would probably have to be already sown but you can still get seedlings from some sites to give you a headstart.

Advertisement