Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playgrounds in/around Limerick?

• 22-09-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm a regular on the playground circuit in and around town, recently discovered the Moyross one(really good) and was wondering is there any others I don't know about within about 20 minutes of town.
    The ones I know are Peoples park, Clare St, Moyross, Shelbourne park, Cratloe(brilliant), Castletroy, Castleconnell, O'Briens bridge, (the last two are usually taken in together),
    I've been as far as Shannon and would travel that far no probs for a good one. Am I missing any, I've heard they're making one in the Crescent shopping centre, is there one in Mungret, Patrickswell or anywhere else within a handy drive of town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

There is an excellent one in Ballina, next to the pool, they also have excellent outdoor gym equipment, and basketball/soccer pitch that I'd love to see in Limerick.

There's one in Murroe too, by Crokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Hey all, I'm a regular on the playground circuit in and around town, recently discovered the Moyross one(really good) and was wondering is there any others I don't know about within about 20 minutes of town.
    The ones I know are Peoples park, Clare St, Moyross, Shelbourne park, Cratloe(brilliant), Castletroy, Castleconnell, O'Briens bridge, (the last two are usually taken in together),
    I've been as far as Shannon and would travel that far no probs for a good one. Am I missing any, I've heard they're making one in the Crescent shopping centre, is there one in Mungret, Patrickswell or anywhere else within a handy drive of town.

Did anyone else notice that the OP never mentioned bringing his own kids / extended family, just "I'm a regular on the playground circuit" Sounds well dodgy :P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

:eek:Rumbled, ye won't be hearing from me again;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Is it for a "physics experiment"

Wish they explained centrifugal force like this at school...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Playground in Raheen?
    That'll be the day. Tis my grandchildren not my kids I'll be bringing there:mad:
    When i think of all the money the council made off the developments of a massive suburb like raheen and not so much as a swing or a slide provided for the thousands of kids who have grown up there.

• Advertisement

There is a huge shortage of playgrounds in the Limerick enviorns....I live in the Corbally area and have just begun a group to try and petition for one....this is an example of an area with a high population of children and youth and no facilities for them.........why did the city and county authorities allow so many houses to be built if they weren't going to provide for families? Teens and children are bored and getting into trouble as a result it is a disgrace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The one big problem and I live in Corbally as well, is that a lot of people might not want it near their home because after dark (& other times) it may attract teenagers laden down with booze, leaving a glass trail behind and the other potential hassles that may come with that.

The one in Shelbourne park as far as I know & can see, seems well kept & has a park warden and is locked up at night. Wasn't there something on here recently about hassles out in the one in Annacotty

I know I wouldn't want one within an ass's roar of my house unless the city council parks dept was managing it and access was completely impossible after dark & that would be a minimum requirement for me

Doesnt seem to be a problem in Co Cork where every town you go to on the way down to West Cork has a fine playground and has had for 8-10 years at least. Used to make my blood boil when I'd go there on holidays and see the facilities that the council put in place when they had plenty money to do so and think of Limerick which until very recently only had the peoples park. Castletroy and shelbourne park are only a few years old ( 4 maybe?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

@Juneg, The O'Brien's park on Clare Street is at least 20 years old, and the Shelbourne park is at least 15 years old though both have been re-developed a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The park in Moyross is the best one around for climbing, ideal for boys i'd say although my girls love it as well. Funny thing is that whenever I went during the summer(only 3 times to be fair) it was empty most of the time, whats the story with that?
    Corbally should have one as should Dooradoyle/Raheen.

I was in the castletroy park about a month ago early on sunday morning, there was a used condom hung right around a piece of equipment, filthy animals, I'd love to have caught the little prick.

• Advertisement

@Juneg, The O'Brien's park on Clare Street is at least 20 years old, and the Shelbourne park is at least 15 years old though both have been re-developed a few times.

Precisely. both of them under the city corporation. Absolutely nothing built in the suburbs of Limerick city run by the county council who made a fortune from developments built in their area and gave nothing back to the communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cplayg

I agree that the Limerick area is very short on playgrounds and facilities for children. In Cratloe, as in many of the Clare and Limerick County areas where playgrounds were built in the last 10 years or so, the playground was built and run by a local community group. We applied for funding from a European Playground Fund and got additional funds through the Leader Program. Most of our funding came from these sources, but there was local fundraising also.

Clare County Council were very supportive of the communities efforts. I think that the county councils prefer to see playgrounds built by the local community where possible. The ongoing costs are carried by the community and there is less risk of someone taking a claim against a local group as opposed to the council.

If there is an interest in providing play facilities in an area, Leader Funding may be an option.

As for your original question - there is also a really good playground in Sixmilebridge.

Regards
    Cplayg:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The playground in Ballina has already been mentioned by others but there is also a very good playground across the water in (New Street) Killaloe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjrRjh5KL0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

we have more golf courses in Ireland then kids playgrounds :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stuxnet wrote: »

I'd love to see a report on that, that doesn't add up to me, surely every school in Ireland has a playground not to mention most public authority areas would have a number of playgrounds under their remit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

Stuxnet wrote: »

So? Golf courses are privately run businesses, that's like saying there's more pound shops than playgrounds. The high cost of maintenance and insurance are the main reasons for the lack of playgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Neither maintenance nor insureance costs are that high for Playgrounds. Capital costs and site aquisition are the main costs. If a community gets together and work on it you can get the project up and going.
    Leader funding is excellent but it does need community activities to get it going.

Don't petition the council, it will wind up in the bin with all the other petitions. Get a community meeting going and get the group to take ownership of the idea. Identify a site preferably a council owned site or a local club willing to lease the ground.
    See what you can do with the site and get a cost estimate.
    Find out how much the funding the community needs to come up with and see how what Leader will contribute.

Advertisement