Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger and Bunny: The Beginning, Dublin screening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

The series was very good - would highly recommend checking it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Same! I've booked my tickets for this - can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Lance-kun

Really looking forward to seeing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never heard of it, sounds great! Last time it was amazing and they gave us those big ass posters.

need to watch series first?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That was an awesome film, really funny too. We loved it!

Hope they put on more, wasn't too packed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

I thought it was pretty great myself. Pity according to wikipedia the second movie isn't out till next year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enjoyed it, although in a very familiar sort of way. Not much too it, but some very funny bits (the quiet scientist was terrifically odd) and good ideas. The ending worked really well too. I did feel a tad uncomfortable with its portrayal of the aggressively homosexual character - that's the kind of humour that feels regressive, although anime doesn't have the best track record with mature portrayals of sexuality. Also were times where the line between satirical advertisements and actual advertisements were blurred - opening credits especially.

Despite that, it's good fun, and while it doesn't offer a whole lot of new ideas it mostly offers likeable characters, fun setpieces and a warm sense of humour.

How does this fit into the anime timeline by the way? I presume it's a prequel (the title and narrative hint that might be the case ;))? Might check the series out, although was happy to discover this completely stands on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Enjoyed it, although in a very familiar sort of way. Not much too it, but some very funny bits (the quiet scientist was terrifically odd) and good ideas. The ending worked really well too. I did feel a tad uncomfortable with its portrayal of the aggressively homosexual character - that's the kind of humour that feels regressive, although anime doesn't have the best track record with mature portrayals of sexuality. Also were times where the line between satirical advertisements and actual advertisements were blurred - opening credits especially.

Despite that, it's good fun, and while it doesn't offer a whole lot of new ideas it mostly offers likeable characters, fun setpieces and a warm sense of humour.

How does this fit into the anime timeline by the way? I presume it's a prequel (the title and narrative hint that might be the case ;))? Might check the series out, although was happy to discover this completely stands on its own.

The 1st 2/3rds of the film was a rehash of the first maybe 8ish episodes of the series with a few added scenes. The final 1/3rd of the film (ie the final 'enemy') was brand new.

But yea, not a prequel anyway, more like a redoing of the anime so far.

That's a bit crap when I was looking forward to the series being different.

The only thing I didn't like was the homosexual characters portrayal all right, a bit of that sure - make a joke about a bum great, just it being constantly done...
    Still, it was hilarious, was really entertaining, that quiet scientist and the hero that nobody listened to haha! Felt thoroughly entertained in it, which is what I want really and can't wait to watch the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Konata wrote: »
    The 1st 2/3rds of the film was a rehash of the first maybe 8ish episodes of the series with a few added scenes. The final 1/3rd of the film (ie the final 'enemy') was brand new.

But yea, not a prequel anyway, more like a redoing of the anime so far.

Ah, I see. Never really got Japan's big obsession with theatrical revisits of shows, but at least there's new stuff!

I see the whole series is streaming free and legal like on Andrew Partridge's newish site for anyone interested (only seems to have gone free in the last few days): http://www.anime-on-demand.com/index.php?option=com_vodvideo&view=playlist&playlistId=14&Itemid=402

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Ah, I see. Never really got Japan's big obsession with theatrical revisits of shows, but at least there's new stuff!

I see the whole series is streaming free and legal like on Andrew Partridge's newish site for anyone interested (only seems to have gone free in the last few days): http://www.anime-on-demand.com/index.php?option=com_vodvideo&view=playlist&playlistId=14&Itemid=402

Seems to think I don't live in Ireland. Must be the universities IP or something.

As for theatrical rereleases, I believe it's for reaching a broader audience since it's only the hardcore fans that usually buy the dvds. I don't mind them too much. I'd like see the two madoka movies that are coming out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

How did I only learn about this screening this morning? Damn, I definitely would have gone to see it had I known. Are there any plans for it to be screened again over here or was that it?

Advertisement