Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking a 3 month contract

• 22-09-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was just looking for some opinions. I am going for an interview next week for a 3 month contract for a job I can do, but its not the correct area for the path I want to take. I know they are looking to hire ASAP and I have a good chance of getting the job.
    HOwever, in the meantime there are another few jobs in the pipeline which are really the direction I want to go in, but the interviews arent for a few weeks - by which time I could be starting in the 3 month contract.
    What do I do?!
    Can you start a 3 month contract and then break it? Like give a weeks notice?
    My gut feeling is telling me to not take the 3 month contract (if its offered) but then if I dont get the other jobs then I could have been working for the 3 months!!

Any advice, opinions, or general rants greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many jobs are currently being offered on short probation periods. Ask the employer what the prospects are.

It would depend on the job, e.g. if you were an engineer and you were supervising a project, your employer would be fairly annoyed if you disappeared half way through the job.

If it was a cashier or admin job where the skills are generic and there is little need for continuous knowledge, it wouldn't matter so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

I know that most people find it easier to get a job when in a job.
    Due to the way things are at the moment I would not turn down this 3 month contact if you get it. If you took this contact now you would be working for Oct, Nov and December which means you should have some money for around Christmas time.
    I would put some money aside from this to build up your savings.
    Also by taking this job is shows that you willing to work and you may learn some new skills which you could help you later.
    If you were to get another job within the 3 months I would give 2 weeks notice in this job. I would explain that you have been offer a new job with better long term prospects, that you have enjoyed working here and you will tell your co workers what your are working on.
    If you leave this job you want it to be on the best terms possible and good luck with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you for your responses. The job is what I would call a "semi-skilled", you need a qualification but no experience so I guess if I did leave I wouldnt be leaving them completely at a loss, as I'm sure they could get someone else for the remaining part of the contract.

Also, before accepting an offer can you ask about the terms of contract, ie about the notice period etc? Or would this send too many alarm bells ringing in their direction?!

Thanks again for the responses, I hate all these big work decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

Thank you for your responses. The job is what I would call a "semi-skilled", you need a qualification but no experience so I guess if I did leave I wouldnt be leaving them completely at a loss, as I'm sure they could get someone else for the remaining part of the contract.

Also, before accepting an offer can you ask about the terms of contract, ie about the notice period etc? Or would this send too many alarm bells ringing in their direction?!

Thanks again for the responses, I hate all these big work decisions!

Any jobs Ive had Ive verbally accepted over the phone and was then sent a written contract outling the terms ie salary, notice period. Im not sure if you would get a contract with your 3 month role but if you did recieve one, it should cover off your notice period. If you get offered it, you could verbally accept over the phone and then casually ask if theyl be sending the contract to your home address? That way your not immediately drawing attention to the notice period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would just take the job if offered, if something else comes up in the meantime then you may have to leave in the middle of the contract but in this jobs market I wouldn't expect this to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement