Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance for child 2012

Options
  • 22-09-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me advice on seeking maintenance for a child. My situation is I am living with my partner and we have one child. I work and earn 350 per week. I have an older child (15yrs) from a previous relationship and his father no longer wants to pay maintenance of 50euro per week telling me to take him to court because when I do Ill get nothing! Although I didn't always receive maintenance on a regular basis until more recently (3yrs), it has gotten bad. Since he has been in a new relationship for the past 2 yrs and has new baby (1yr now) he rarely sees our son and feels he doesn't have to contribute for him as he has his own family now. If I was to take him to court would it be worth my while? Would my son get anything from him? He (the father) works full time and I know he gets good money.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

AvaMaria wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me advice on seeking maintenance for a child. My situation is I am living with my partner and we have one child. I work and earn 350 per week. I have an older child (15yrs) from a previous relationship and his father no longer wants to pay maintenance of 50euro per week telling me to take him to court because when I do Ill get nothing! Although I didn't always receive maintenance on a regular basis until more recently (3yrs), it has gotten bad. Since he has been in a new relationship for the past 2 yrs and has new baby (1yr now) he rarely sees our son and feels he doesn't have to contribute for him as he has his own family now. If I was to take him to court would it be worth my while? Would my son get anything from him? He (the father) works full time and I know he gets good money.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

The cheek of him! :mad: My God, sorry but it outrageous behaviour. You should absolutely take him to court, they will hang him. The most obvious question the judge will ask is Why have you stop paying? You obviously thought at some point that you were and ARE liable for your childs maintanence. And even if your child is 15, remember the parent is responsible to pay maintanence up to age 23 if the child is in full - time education. €50 sounded like a miserable amount to begin with seens as you regard the father to make good money.

It is TOTALLY up to the father to prove to the court that he is not in a financial position to pay and this is not the case and I know fathers on the dole, that have maintanence deducted from their dole. So, yes it is totally worth your while. Cases like these are usually dealt with at district level, sometimes circuit but don't let the likes of him get away it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AvaMaria

Thanks for your reply.
    Really don't like the idea of court. Don't like my son worrying about whether I get maintenance or not either (should not be a child's worry). But yes I do need the money and yes I do believe he can well afford to pay it. But I wonder will the courts bring my now partner's income into it or the fact that my ex has to look after his own family now? I don't want to be causing alot of hassle and fall outs for everyone if I end up getting nothing. But at the same time I do believe its his responsibility to provide for his child. I have always looked after him and given him everything he needs and more so why cant his dad:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try the legal discussion forum instead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AvaMaria

will do thanks

Advertisement