Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok something mad happened last night

Options
  • 22-09-2012 6:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭

For the past while stuff has been happening in my house.At the start it didn't bother me and it was rather moderate,stuff that could be regarded as coincidences or natural (shadows,draughts,lights flickering etc etc.)

So,last night i was walking into the kitchen and i dropped my lighter.However it landed on its base standing upwards.I became a little freaked out and tried to make excuses of how it could've been just a fluke,a lighter falling three feet and landing on its base.

But this is what happened next.

About 2 hours later i drop my sky remote.Anybody who has sky+ will know that the control is far two rounded and off shape to stand on it's own.Well you guessed it,it landed standing up.I've tried to replicate it by balancing and there is absolutely no hope of it happening,it just keeps falling over.

so yeah,****ting my pants now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Mr PcMCMahon..this is very, very serious sh*t. U Really DO need to send me €500 as soon as u can. I cure many ills, but remember, I is genuine so no onecan call me troll, I read other trolls and dem mods, de take de too long time to challenge de troll, dat good. So send me cash big..I can sort de problem

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Man that is some creepy ****, how long did it stand for? Did it then just fall over?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Should have taken a pic. My feelings are that the remote wasn't balancing, it was propped up or resting against something. Did you know you can balance an egg?

Some landing with the lighter though, what are the odds of it landing like that?!

Man that is some creepy ****, how long did it stand for? Did it then just fall over?

about 5 seconds and then it just fell over,i was more in awe than creeped out at that stage though.
    kylith wrote: »
    Should have taken a pic. My feelings are that the remote wasn't balancing, it was propped up or resting against something. Did you know you can balance an egg?

Some landing with the lighter though, what are the odds of it landing like that?!
    it was in the middle of the floor nothing to support it.

The control looks like this

as you can see there is no way that could balance from falling from my hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

• Advertisement

i don't suppose he dropped them without them bouncing did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

im missing the paranormal link to be honest. shouldnt this be in a science forum to discuss flukes in physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

pcmcmahon, has anything else out-of-the-ordinary occurred since then?

maccored wrote: »
    im missing the paranormal link to be honest. shouldnt this be in a science forum to discuss flukes in physics?

tbh i'm just as much of a skeptic as the next person,but this fluke is too flukey if that makes sense.If something falls to the ground it has a bit of a bounce and would fall over,this didn't bounce,it fell on the tip of the remote like a dart hitting a dart board.The same with the lighter.

plus considering the space of time between the lighter falling and then the control the odds would be enormous.
    pcmcmahon, has anything else out-of-the-ordinary occurred since then?

not since really to be honest,the house is creaky and draughty so anything else since then could be put down to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

There's a magnet under your floor somewhere.

Case closed ;)

• Advertisement

Case closed ;)

possibly haha,i'm going to start dropping things and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Case closed ;)

Plastic remote

/ case reopened :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

weisses wrote: »
    Plastic remote

/ case reopened :D

Plastic remote with bits of metal circuitry and other sciency stuff inside.

Case re-closed....

108ae9994e71a699de3c9adfadb1d50b.jpg?s=128&r=pg&d=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.ozb.me%2Fg%2F128.jpg&v=0

Yeeeaaaaahhhhh......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What kind of floor is it? Carpet, wooden? Any chance that it created an indentation in whatever it landed on, which allowed it to stand up? Or could the plastic the remote is made from have been flatted when it landed?

@PMcMahon.

Really, are you serious? I thought u were taking the p***.

Things like that happen on a regular basis, surely.

Has anything else unusual happened apart from these 2 falling objects?

A few weeks ago I was cleaning dust of a fragile ornate glass light shade when it fell 8 feet to the floor, bounced back up by 2 feet and landed on a coffee table.

At the time when it was falling I was thinking "****, gonna have a clean up job here", and when it didnt smash I did cross my mind that it was a bit of a freakish occurence.

I still cant understand why it didnt smash, must be someting to do with the physical make up and a lot of good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Have you tried to recreate it? A Sky remote is a bizarre thing to stand on end, weird

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I let a coin fall the other day and it landed on it's edge - that has to be a million to 1 occurance. Nothing paranormal though, just an odd way for something to land! The lighter seems a lot more probable to me than the remote, is it possible it just seemed like 5 seconds but was actually less?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i don't suppose he dropped them without them bouncing did he?

I don't suppose he did, no. My point is that seemingly incredible/unachieveable balanced positions can be achieved, probably even after bouncing on the floor.

I let a coin fall the other day and it landed on it's edge - that has to be a million to 1 occurance. Nothing paranormal though, just an odd way for something to land! The lighter seems a lot more probable to me than the remote, is it possible it just seemed like 5 seconds but was actually less?

A 1 in 6,000 chance going by this research...why they bother is beyond me. But take note! This research involves an american nickle, and does not necessarily reflect the chances of a 5 cent euro coin for example. :D

Murray and Teare, The probability of a tossed coin falling on its edge, Phys. Rev. E. 2547-2552 (1993)

Abstract of 1993 paper: "An experiment is reported in which an object which can rest in multiple stable configurations is dropped with randomized initial conditions from a height onto a flat surface. The effect of varying the object’s shape on the probability of landing in the less stable configuration is measured. A dynamical model of the experiment is introduced and solved by numerical simulations. Results of the experiments and simulations are in good agreement, confirming that the model incorporates the essential features of the dynamics of the tossing experiment. Extrapolations based on the model suggest that the probability of an American nickel landing on edge is approximately 1 in 6000 tosses."

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Yeah but in fairness its possible for a coin to balance on edge.but the shape of a sky remote,the bottom is too rounded and it's too top heavy to stand upright .. Anyone can balance a coin but not a sky remote... Its not about how it fell or how long it balanced for... The fact that it balanced at all would seem physically impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

unless one drops a remote control many many times, you cant really say if it would balance or not. For example, in that coin study it took dropping a coin 6000 times before it stood on edge ... but it did.

In mythbusters, they'd make a durable remote control substitute and start there. Thats what should be happening here, instead of thinking its paranormal in any way whatsoever. As I said before, this should be in the science forum.

A 1 in 6,000 chance going by this research...why they bother is beyond me. But take note! This research involves an american nickle, and does not necessarily reflect the chances of a 5 cent euro coin for example. :D
    ."

Wow, that is actually very surprising - i thought it was a hugely less probable occurance.
    But just goes to show that in general people have a shaky understanding of probability and because of this, some things we think are absolutely bizzare, supernaturally so in some cases, really aren't.
    For example, going by those numbers a coin somewhere in the world must land on it's edge probably every few seconds of every day. Hardly the bizzare occurance i thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Wow, that is actually very surprising - i thought it was a hugely less probable occurance.
    But just goes to show that in general people have a shaky understanding of probability and because of this, some things we think are absolutely bizzare, supernaturally so in some cases, really aren't.
    For example, going by those numbers a coin somewhere in the world must land on it's edge probably every few seconds of every day. Hardly the bizzare occurance i thought it was.

I've dropped coins that landed on their sides on a few occasions, but they rolled off then. Maybe thats not what you're talking about though?

I'd imagine also that an American nickel would have much less chance of landing on it's side than something like a Pound Sterling coin which is quite thick.

No, I dropped it on a concrerte floor and it landed standing on edge and balanced there till i picked it up about 30 seconds later, was a 50 cent coin.

cheers for the replies people,no updates as such,just the usual cold spots etc etc.

As for the whole coin theory lets not forget that a fairly flat surface with an even mass.The sky remote most certainly hasn't.

Advertisement