Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC for music production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

pinksoir wrote: »
    Is this a decent way to go?

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€169.20
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.65
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€68.24
    Xilence Power 450 Watt|€32.73
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€317.81

I'll need a Texas Instruments firewire card too. But is all this stuff here compatible/problem free and a decent enough setup?

Cheers.

Would not trust that PSU, maybe this instead? Or this if you're pinching the pennies.

If you're serious about music production I'd go with this: more threads for handling the software, firewire built in (see the red on the I/O) and twice the amount of RAM. Drop the RAM to 8GB if you feel it's too much, but for an extra €20 why not?

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8120 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€142.50
    ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0, AM3, ATX|€60.00
    2 x 8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€62.72
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€34.55
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€318.76

Same price too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Thanks a million, much appreciated.

Yeah, that definitely seems like a system that would be well capable for a few years. I haven't built a PC since my last one 5 years ago so I'm not really up on the aul AMD vs Intel any more. I presume 8 cores is better than 4, but is there much of a difference between them (AMD vs Intel) for my particular needs?

Also, I have an Nvidia 8600 GPU, would there be any conflicts between that and an AMD motherboard?

I went for that PSU because I need something silent. Is the Be Quiet one quiet like the brand name leads me to believe? :) I presume the entry level Antec ain't too quiet. I'm currently on 6GB of RAM and even with all the plugins and sample libraries I use I'm not even coming close to touching the full 6GB. So 'd rather get 8GB Ram and put the cash towards a better PSU.

The thing about built in firewire is that it MUST be TI chipset. My current (now kaputt) motherboard has built in firewire and I'm actually not sure if it's TI or not but it works. Thing is, non TI chipset 1394 can result in really bad latency or even non recognition of audio interfaces. Do you know how I can check whether it's TI chipset or not?

Thanks very much for the suggestions, that looks like a much more powerful system.

Thanks a million, much appreciated.

Yeah, that definitely seems like a system that would be well capable for a few years. I haven't built a PC since my last one 5 years ago so I'm not really up on the aul AMD vs Intel any more. I presume 8 cores is better than 4, but is there much of a difference between them (AMD vs Intel) for my particular needs?

Also, I have an Nvidia 8600 GPU, would there be any conflicts between that and an AMD motherboard?

I went for that PSU because I need something silent. Is the Be Quiet one quiet like the brand name leads me to believe? :) I presume the entry level Antec ain't too quiet. I'm currently on 6GB of RAM and even with all the plugins and sample libraries I use I'm not even coming close to touching the full 6GB. So 'd rather get 8GB Ram and put the cash towards a better PSU.

The thing about built in firewire is that it MUST be TI chipset. My current (now kaputt) motherboard has built in firewire and I'm actually not sure if it's TI or not but it works. Thing is, non TI chipset 1394 can result in really bad latency or even non recognition of devices. Do you know how I can check whether it's TI chipset or not?

Thanks very much for the suggestions, that looks like a much more powerful system.

I'm not an expert on firewire, nor am I a music producer but I'll do my best :).

What software are you using?

I'm not 100% on whether the firewire port is of the TI chipset, an email to the manufacturer (AsRock) would sort that out though.

As for the PSU, that Be-Quiet one is extremely quiet, but it's selling point is modular cables. The Antec one would be quiet, too.

GPU wise, there'd be no problems using the card with that motherboard. What would you be using it for, though? Older cards like that aren't very efficient, so it might be worth your while to upgrade to one of similar performance but extremely high energy efficiency.

I'd be using the card for literally just a dual monitor display. That was one of the reasons I chose a motherboard with a built in GPU. I certainly won't be gaming, but I may do a bit of image editing with Gimp.

I'm using Reaper, which I've read has excellent multi core support. Up until my motherboard gave up the ghost I'd been using a Core2Extreme QX6800 and it was performing extremely well.

wrt PSU, modular is good, but not particularly necessary. Quiet is the main consideration really.

Thanks again for the help.

I did a little digging and it seems that Gigabyte use TI firewire chipsets (my old mobo was Gigabyte) and AsRock use VIA.

So any recommendations on a Gigabyte mobo?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Having a look on hardwareversand, it looks like it'd be cheaper to buy a TI firewire card than a Gigabyte motherboard with firewire, so it might be better to go that route.

Also, what's the suss with onboard graphics like the original mobo I linked?

• Advertisement

I did a little digging and it seems that Gigabyte use TI firewire chipsets (my old mobo was Gigabyte) and AsRock use VIA.

So any recommendations on a Gigabyte mobo?

Thanks again.

This?

I did see that. I added an addendum to my last post there just as you posted :)

I did see that. I added an addendum to my last post there just as you posted :)

Fair enough.

Cheers. What's the story with onboard graphics, or could you recommend a graphics card for my uses (dual monitor, some image editing but not heavy)?

Thanks again.

Cheers. What's the story with onboard graphics, or could you recommend a graphics card for my uses (dual monitor, some image editing but not heavy)?

Thanks again.

Any one really, how much do you want to spend?

• Advertisement

Also, after reading up on that FX8150, it looks to be a better processor for music production, so thanks loads for that recommendation, I wouldn't have thought about it.

The least I can get away with really!

Also, what about CPU cooling?

Thanks for your time!

The least I can get away with really!

Also, what about CPU cooling?

Thanks for your time!
    The CPU comes with a cooler so you should be fine with that, and for the GPU an AMD HD6450 should be grand if you want to output to different monitors, that comes in at around €30. If you wanted something a bit beefier, the HD7750 would give you some muscle for video editing and the odd game. Best thing about it is its so power efficient it doesn't even need a power connector. It retails at about €90, so it's a bit steep.

Ok, so I could go for the following. Do you reckon that's a good setup and noticeably better than what I'm currently running ie. QX6800, 6GB Ram? That was running pretty powerful and solid up until my mobo and/or PSU died.

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8120 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€142.50
    8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.65
    be quiet! Pure Power 430 Watt / BQT L7|€44.92
    MSI R6450-MD1GD3/LP, 1024MB, PCI-Express|€33.50
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€328.56

Alternatively I could upgrade to the FX8150 for another 30 bucks:

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8150 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€170.85
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€356.91

Or go for an i5 2500K system, but it's another 30 quid more. Not that I mind if it's a better system overall.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€199.81
    Gigabyte GA-PH67-DS3-B3, Intel H67, ATX|€63.48
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€389.25

My other option is to replace my current motherboard and PSU which I could do for around 100 quid. Possibly a new GPU too for 30 more. I don't particularly like the idea of throwing more money at an old system but... it's cheaper :)

A new firewire card for 15 quid too.

It really is up to you; if the software you're using can make good use of the extra cores, the 8120/8150 is the way to go. It also has a good upgrade path due to new chips coming out soon that can still be used with that motherboard.

The i5 2500k on the other hand is a better processor for single threaded applications and overclocks well, but I'm pretty sure the socket is finished i.e. the next intel chips are on a different one.

Cheers. I'm gonna have to have a think on it...

Ok. So.

I did some posting on the Reaper forum looking for some real world experience of either the i5s or the FX-81xx CPUs. I've been so far only recommended i5s, and specifically the new Ivy Bridges, in particular the 3450. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if there's any more replies, hopefully with some feedback on the FX-81xxs.

But I spec'd up an i5 build and I'd appreciate any input on this. I'm not really sure on the PSU tbh. Would a 430w cut it, or would I be better to go for at least a 500w to be safe?

Anyway, here's the build:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Tray, LGA1155|€167.79
    Special item: Gigabyte GA-PH67-DS3-B3, Intel H67, ATX|€63.48
    Sapphire HD6450 512M DDR3 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-D / VGA|€33.59
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro PWM Rev.2|€17.59

Your help so far has been great and much appreciated.

Thanks a mil.

The PSU is fine, don't get any item that is "special item" though; that means it's something that was returned or maybe has a scratch or two.

As for 81xx vs i5: I had a feeling that might happen, those Ivy Bridge chips are great. I'd like to hear some responses though about the bulldozer chips as they are extremely cheap at the moment.

Alright, that's good to know.

This then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

I read the old i5 is better for over clocking

Your powe supply might need to be bigger

• Advertisement

Thanks. I won't be overclocking at all so that's no prob. The Ivy Bridges are more economical which is good.

I might go for the 530w version of the PSU to be safe. It gets good reviews.

I might actually go for a 7 series chipset. So, this would be my cart:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Tray, LGA1155|€167.79
    Sapphire HD6450 512M DDR3 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-D / VGA|€33.59
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro PWM Rev.2|€17.59
    ASRock ZH77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€73.94
    be quiet! Pure Power 530 Watt / BQT L7|€57.23
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€397.78

I'd like to stay under 400 bills, and this is just under, but if it was worth getting the newer L8 modular Be Quiet PSU, I could stump up another tenner. Though if the one in my cart is just as quiet and the only difference is it being non-modular, then I'd prefer to go for that.

Actually, I reckon the 430w will do as per these results:

System Type: 1 physical CPU
    Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
    CPU Socket: Socket LGA 1155
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3100 MHz Ivy Bridge
    CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP
    RAM: 2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
    Video Card 1: AMD Radeon HD 6450

High rpm SATA: 2 HDDs
    Flash SSD: 1 Drive
    DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive