Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ICBC ;(

Options
  • 22-09-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hello, Just want to ask a question about the 90 day rule. if you leave Canada, go on a day trip to the states for example. Does your 90 day limit to get a B.C driving licence reset when you arrive back in Canada?

I also want to add, just as a heads up for any1 planning a Working holiday or more permanent migration to British Columbia. The ICBC are ruthless here, I have letters of no claims bonus from Quinn/Liberty, Hibernian/Aviva and AXA stretching back 8 years. The ICBC told me they were not acceptable for various reason and therefore was not eligible for any no claims discount. As a result they are charging me $3400 for a years insurance, which is absolutely insane.

They have told me that if I get letters that are up to scratch they will back date and discount me. getting those letters now i'm in Canada is proving extremely difficult as they don't seem to willing to alter there standard letters of no claims.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Hello, Just want to ask a question about the 90 day rule. if you leave Canada, go on a day trip to the states for example. Does your 90 day limit to get a B.C driving licence reset when you arrive back in Canada?

I also want to add, just as a heads up for any1 planning a Working holiday or more permanent migration to British Columbia. The ICBC are ruthless here, I have letters of no claims bonus from Quinn/Liberty, Hibernian/Aviva and AXA stretching back 8 years. The ICBC told me they were not acceptable for various reason and therefore was not eligible for any no claims discount. As a result they are charging me $3400 for a years insurance, which is absolutely insane.

They have told me that if I get letters that are up to scratch they will back date and discount me. getting those letters now i'm in Canada is proving extremely difficult as they don't seem to willing to alter there standard letters of no claims.

You do realise that BC stands for Bring Cash?

ICBC are like the mafia - what they say goes. Have you tried going to a different ICBC office?

I used to live round the corner from you mate in Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Yeah, ICBC are an awful shower. I managed to get 5 years worth of letters from home though. definitely worth the hassle of ringing and emailing companies at home. I didnt really have aproblem with any of them once I told them exactly what I needed on the letter (i.e. name, policy number, duration of policy and obviously that teh policy had no claims on it). You need to get you history within the first 12 months of you policy. The system means you only get an extra 5% for every year up to a max of 40%. If you end up staying a few years the difference between starting at say 25% discount compared to nothing will really add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

A positive note to add. I managed to get my B.C. licence yesterday without having to do the driving test. I used my Australian licence which I got last year in Oz and used my Irish licence to show proof of driving experience as my Oz licence was less than 2 years old. I only had to surrender the Oz licence so I still get to keep my Irish one.

So if you are in a country that is part of the commonwealth and are thinking of going Canada, Get a local driving licence ;P

I should add that the licencing center on Commercial was crap, your one at reception was an ass and told me I needed to do a test. So I went to the one in Point Grey, no problems. 31 dollars, an eye test and walla.

Advertisement