Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glen Aoibhinn Ardamine

Options
  • 22-09-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, have been looking around gorey at houses and would like to know what this estate is like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

horse7 wrote: »
    Hi guys, have been looking around gorey at houses and would like to know what this estate is like.

It's a nice area, close to Riverchapel Village and the N.S. and shop, community centre etc., it's also not too far from Ardamine beach. The houses went for mad money during the boom but have decreased by at least 50% recently. it's quite close, though not adjacent to, Etchingham Heights, which some might consider a drawback but we have some friends living there and they've never complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Is there some antisocial behaviour in Etchingham Heights.

Is there some antisocial behaviour in Etchingham Heights.[/QUOTE
    Etchingham Heights is a local authority estate which has had it's share of problems over the years and has acquired a, probably undeserved, reputation. There are people I know in Etchingham Heights who I would consider more trustworthy and socially responsible than most of the residents of Dublin 4.
    With rent subsidies at ridiculous levels and local authorities unwilling or incapable of doing the job they're paid for, you are just as likely to have anti social behaviour in private estates, most of the anti social behaviour in the general Courtown area is imported and seasonal.
    I, personally, as a local resident, would have no worries about moving to Glen Aobhinn.

Thanks for the replys,much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Thanks for the replys,much appreciated.

The unsold units in the estate are being sold by a receiver - builder gone into receivirship

There's good value there - but the area has problems in the summer - namely water supply

• Advertisement

I think they had sewerage problems there years ago, is there still a problem with that? And the water supply is there not enough capacity.

I think they had sewerage problems there years ago, is there still a problem with that? And the water supply is there not enough capacity.

The old water and sewage infrastructure has difficulty coping with the increased demand in summer

It's a very busy area in the summer months and an area very close by suffers with anti social behaviour in the summer

Ryan T wrote: »
    The unsold units in the estate are being sold by a receiver - builder gone into receivirship

There's good value there - but the area has problems in the summer - namely water supply

Water supply is not a problem any more AFAIK. I live in one of the higher areas of Riverchapel and since the new watermain was laid a few years ago we have had no supply problems. The only time we have water problems is when there is a power cut and the ante deluvian pumps have to be restarted, on one occasion we had to wait for a private contractor to travel from Dublin to restart them :eek: We pay a County Manager and Senior Engineers nearly half a million euro a year to oversee this ****.

Hi gorey guys,was down last week and found it very hospitable. Am now looking at a different area there, the lask, can you tell me what is south of the lask, looking at bing and google maps,and it seems like a quarry or hill. Just a few questions on the area. Is it walkable to the shopping centre(dunnes etc). Is it busy to get out of the estate. Are there any problems with the houses, eg craks, subsidence etc.Thanks for any info.

Hi gorey guys,was down last week and found it very hospitable. Am now looking at a different area there, the lask, can you tell me what is south of the lask, looking at bing and google maps,and it seems like a quarry or hill. Just a few questions on the area. Is it walkable to the shopping centre(dunnes etc). Is it busy to get out of the estate. Are there any problems with the houses, eg craks, subsidence etc.Thanks for any info.

Nice estate - wouldn't think any are rented in that estate.

There are 2 new primary schools and a garage across the road

I wouldn't walk downtown myself from there as there is a part of the road without a footpath.

A house went on daft from the lask this week - they're all large and detached and there is a few houses in there for sale for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Living here the last 5 years and never had a problem with our water supply. The estate is unfinished but the unsold units are well blocked off from the rest of the finished estate , but hopefully they will find a buyer soon.

The houses are well built and warm and the neighbourhood is quite ok, very child friendly.

Personnally I love living here and can't see myself moving out for years to come.

I wouldn't walk downtown myself from there as there is a part of the road without a footpath.

A house went on daft from the lask this week - they're all large and detached and there is a few houses in there for sale for a long time
    Whats at the back of the estate?

Whats at the back of the estate?

Not 100% sure but it could be casey concrete

So it is a quarry? or is cassey concrete still in business?

So it is a quarry? or is cassey concrete still in business?

Yes still in business as concrete and concrete products supplier and also a quarry

How close is the premises to the estate ?

Well i have just seen it on bing maps and google earth,but its very very near the lask,like behind the back garden.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Well i have just seen it on bing maps and google earth,but its very very near the lask,like behind the back garden.

Casey concrete is not behind the back gardens of the Lask estate.

The quarry is over in Coolishall upper
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=gorey&ll=52.6654,-6.323404&spn=0.027016,0.084543&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Gorey,+County+Wexford&gl=ie&t=h&z=14

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

That is Gorey Hill behind the Lask and the council uses or used to use it as a storage depot.

• Advertisement

It's a council depot alright - rang a cousin that lives there

Definitely a Council Yard. The Lask is a lovely estate, huge houses, quite settled and mature now so I'd say any structural problems would have come to light. It's about a mile walk to Dunne's or Tesco but Tesco have plans to move up to Gorey Business Park with an entrance off the N11 so that would be slightly closer. When that will happen I don't know, it was full steam ahead a couple of years ago but seems to be on the long finger now. Not a walk I'd relish on a wet day as there is no shelter whatsoever.

Thanks guys,looks like another trip to gorey coming soon.

Whats the tapwater like in gorey. Do you need a filter system.(lime etc)

Whats the tapwater like in gorey. Do you need a filter system.(lime etc)

Most of Wexford is a hard water area, quality is hit and miss everywhere. I use a water filter, people 100 yds away do not, it can even be down to varying water pressure. Lime in the water is supposed to be healthy. :rolleyes:
    There was a separate issue in the Gorey Hill area a couple of years ago but that's been sorted AFAIK.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Definitely a Council Yard. The Lask is a lovely estate, huge houses, quite settled and mature now so I'd say any structural problems would have come to light. It's about a mile walk to Dunne's or Tesco but Tesco have plans to move up to Gorey Business Park with an entrance off the N11 so that would be slightly closer. When that will happen I don't know, it was full steam ahead a couple of years ago but seems to be on the long finger now. Not a walk I'd relish on a wet day as there is no shelter whatsoever.

Update; The sod was turned on the new Tesco site yesterday 8/10/12, they certainly kept that quiet. I knew there had been some planning objections but news really died a death. Should be up and running in a year.

I thought the lime corroded the kettle and worse still the water pipes and worm in the cyclinder(emersion tank).

I thought the lime corroded the kettle and worse still the water pipes and worm in the cyclinder(emersion tank).

Not quite. It leaves a deposit which, over time, will render some appliances less effective. It is unlikely to affect modern central heating systems, which are closed systems, but would affect hot water systems and immersion heaters. You can get additives to counter this or you can install a filtration system. The timetable for lime to affect water systems and appliances can be a long one, kettles are more prone because water is constantly being boiled and reboiled.

Would anyone know if the houses in the lask are dry-lined with insulation in the interior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 2010vwpassat

To answer the question, i was thinking of buying a house there recently, i asked locals are there any problems in the area, i was told there is a drug problem, that the HSE are housing a lot of people 'Dubs' (dub myself but a good one) there & not exactly a place to move into if you want a quiet life. Basically i was told best to avoid the area, another estate agent further down in Wexford said that he heard on the radio on Monday that the Gardai go to one house heavily armed when called because of the drugs. 3 separate people all had the same view of ardamine.

Advertisement