Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ULCER Bank - Are they at it again? Customer notice (really a warning)

• 22-09-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I just logged on and the below message is what I was confronted with:

Service Information

**NEW**

On Sunday 23 September 2012, due to planned systems updates, our Online, Mobile and Telephone banking services will be unavailable between 2am and 6am. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Withdrawals can still be made via an ATM, and point of sale transactions are unaffected.

error.gifPlease select this box to acknowledge this notice.

Although I logged on from the legitimate link I have saved on my computer, I still would not tick this box. Much too paranoid.

What surprises me is that I could even copy and paste the above message - I know there are some websites (albeit fashion/beauty/music) that won't even allow for the copying of their wording - why the hell, after all that's already happened, do Ulster Bank not have some scripting protection in place?

ALSO - after going through the various stages of log-in, I noticed that the pages were not in 'secure' mode - the green padlock in my Menu Bar did not appear after the second stage of my log-in, in fact it was white (as for sites with no password-protected mode) :eek:

AND after each stage I was met with a blank screen for more than 10 seconds before the next stage of log-in would appear and again NOT WITH THE GREEN PADLOCK IN THE MENU BAR.

What the HELL are they playing at now? MY MONEY? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Well at least you picked the perfect forum to post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Ulster Bank are a good bank with the best customer service.

So they ****ed up. Big deal.

I was on the other side of the world when it happened and was fecked for a few days until family helped me out. I forgive and forget.

Do you know why? Because they're a private institution.

Go elsewhere with your sense of entitlement. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If its merely a notice then why on earth would you need to acknowledge it. It's a scam. Delete the link you used and retype the URL again.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Bonjela is really good for those Ulcers I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

They're just notifying you that it's going to be down for maintenance for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

CJC999 wrote: »
    If its merely a notice then why on earth would you need to acknowledge it. It's a scam. Delete the link you used and retype the URL again.

I agree. Maybe they're aware of another attack, haven't/won't make it public until they absolutely have to and are making a crude attempt at self-preservation in the event of pending negative publicity and can this time say 'oh well, at least our customers were aware and prepared this time'
    or something :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Jaysus break out the freekin tin foil hats.

1. Every system notice from UB online has to be acknowledged.

2. Servers need maintenance. Get over it.

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Bonjela is really good for those Ulcers I hear.

I entitled the thread 'ulcer' deliberately my friend :P if you were an affected customer you might actually have some...

Mena wrote: »
    Jaysus break out the freekin tin foil hats.

1. Every system notice from UB online has to be acknowledged.

2. Servers need maintenance. Get over it.

3. They don't give a flying fook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

They have had the warning about a shut down up for ages. No big deal.

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    Every system notice from UB online has to be acknowledged

Never had to tick any box before to acknlowledge one.

Would a padlocked, secure-mode suddenly disappearing after you submit your customer number and PIN not freak you out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and? their servers are down for 4 hours on a sunday night, big whoop happens all the time with services, thats why they do it at unsociable hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

csi vegas wrote: »

Would a padlocked, secure-mode suddenly disappearing after you submit your customer number and PIN not freak you out?
    Actually you do , its their new way of confirming that you know theres a system outage ahead therefor stopping complaints in its tracks.

krudler wrote: »
    and? their servers are down for 4 hours on a sunday night, big whoop happens all the time with services, thats why they do it at unsociable hours.

pure bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember a time when boards.ie went down around 4:30 am or so every night
    Giving the hamster a break :)

I don't think this happens anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Try logging into AIB on pretty much any night from about 3am-5am - An error box shows up Ref 2033; aka the system is down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I remember a time when boards.ie went down around 4:30 am or so every night
    Giving the hamster a break :)

I don't think this happens anyway

We moved up in the world, with more than one database server and replication we can take one hamster wheel out of the loop for maintenance while the other wheels keep spinning, we all know 4am boards is the best boards :pac:

Danny

Never had to tick any box before to acknlowledge one
    Actually you do , its their new way of confirming that you know theres a system outage ahead therefor stopping complaints in its tracks.

New being the operative word, my point being that this 'tick the box' business was never in place previous to the June attacks.

What say you of the disappearing secure-mode padlock after log-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

New being the operative word, my point being that this 'tick the box' business was never in place previous to the June attacks.

That 'tick the box' business was in place before the June problems. Not as often as it seems to be lately, but I've had to tick the box to acknowledge notices before. It's nothing to be concerned about - it's not a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I say that secure mode is only an added precaution when typing passwords etc. the page it leads onto is a https page anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I have often, often had to click a box to acknowledge server notices when logging into the UB website since joining over 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Never had to tick any box before to acknlowledge one

Attacks?
    Source or proof please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, what attack in June?

they had a server failure, they weren't attacked.

Paranoid or what op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If you were computer literate you could copy and paste from any site. Preventing you is absolutely no indication of security.

If you were at all observant you'd have noticed many many of these notices before. You must tick the box to make sure you have actually noticed the notice, as much as anything, which you have clearly demonstrated a need for.

Pages which do not provided personal information do not need to be sent over a secure connection.

I've never known a blank webpage to appear between steps, I strongly suspect the problem is at your end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Maybe they're aware of another attack
    it wasnt an attack for a start.change bank if it p1ssed you off that much ffs.

ive been with them 20+ years and this was the first time there was any hassle with them.It was a bit inconvient to go in with a payslip to get cash out but it was only for 2 weeks.

EDIT:beaten to it by the posters above.think the OP is clueless to what happened originaly or cant read the multiple articles printed in the papers and online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

If that is the truth, then you've been using the wrong website, probably as part of some scam.

it wasnt an attack for a start.change bank if it p1ssed you off that much ffs.

ive been with them 20+ years and this was the first time there was any hassle with them.It was a bit inconvient to go in with a payslip to get cash out but it was only for 2 weeks.

EDIT:beaten to it by the posters above.think the OP is clueless to what happened originaly or cant read the multiple articles printed in the papers and online

It wasn't.

(space space) Change

I've

(space space) It...inconvenient

(space space) Think...originally...can't...

Who's that who can't read (or spell coincidentally)?

Grammatical literacy advocate 1: Wannabe smartass: 0

:D

humbert wrote: »
    If you were computer literate you could copy and paste from any site. Preventing you is absolutely no indication of security.

If you were at all observant you'd have noticed many many of these notices before. You must tick the box to make sure you have actually noticed the notice, as much as anything, which you have clearly demonstrated a need for.

Pages which do not provided personal information do not need to be sent over a secure connection.

I've never known a blank webpage to appear between steps, I strongly suspect the problem is at your end.

If you were literate, if you were at all observant, you'd have noticed that you used the conjunction 'provided' instead of the verb 'provide' in your sentence :) Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Seems someones losing so been a smartass about grammar. You were wrong. Admit it and move on. Your making yourself look silly now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If you were literate, if you were at all observant, you'd have noticed that you used the conjunction 'provided' instead of the verb 'provide' in your sentence :) Ha!

I think I speak for everyone when I say you've won back our respect.

Slunk wrote: »
    Seems someones losing so been a smartass about grammar. You were wrong. Admit it and move on. Your making yourself look silly now

Just bored.

Losing? I've acquired reasonable answers, cheap insults towards my post/intelligence were optional :) and I'm bored :)

Grammar? Don't you start me up again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Well played sir you have won this round of "Deflect the spotlight"
    Collect youre prize at the d'oor

humbert wrote: »
    I think I speak for everyone when I say you've won back our respect.

:) I really do hope you mean this! I really do! It would mean so much to me, really!

Well played sir you have won this round of "Deflect the spotlight"
    Collect youre prize at the d'oor

I am MADAM btw :P

People please stop winding me up with deliberate gramatical errors :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

My apologie's Madam
    I shall have myself disciplined; at once.

I would be more worried about sites not going down for maintenance to be honest.
    Do they mention if it's the website or the system going down?
    InJune it was a failed update to the batch payment processing mainframe. I am sure that they have learned from the last error and now know how to properly roll back a failed update.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Provided is the past tense of provide so still a verb. A conjunction joins what would otherwise be two distinct sentences. Provided is not a conjunction.

My apologie's Madam
    I shall have myself disciplined; at once.

I would be more worried about sites not going down for maintenance to be honest.
    Do they mention if it's the website or the system going down?
    InJune it was a failed update to the batch payment processing mainframe. I am sure that they have learned from the last error and now know how to properly roll back a failed update.

I've just logged on to their site. At each stage of log-in, the green 'secure mode' has appeared on my Menu Bar.

It is reassuring, I can tell you, because it wasn't there Saturday, it kept disappearing along with my actual screen image, which was frightening , as though the site was duplicate (even though I opened my saved link of Ulster Bank).

They stated it was the system going down, the exact notice is on my first post. The system going down (albeit for an 'update') is still more of a worry than their site itself going offline.

I was just very wary of the blank screen after I entered my details and this 'tick the box' business (keylogger, trojans etc - leading to remote access :eek: ???)

Well anyway for now, my millions are safe.

Provided is the past tense of provide so still a verb. A conjunction joins what would otherwise be two distinct sentences. Provided is not a conjunction.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/essential-american-english/provided

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/provided

What was that you were saying?

Also provided is not JUST a past tense conjunction, the word is used also in terms of a present/future condition ie; she will allow him to drive her car provided he has a full driving licence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/essential-american-english/provided

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/provided

What was that you were saying?

Also provided is not JUST a past tense conjunction, the word is used also in terms of a present/future condition ie; she will allow him to drive her car provided he has a full driving licence

It wasn't used as a conjunction in the text you complained of.

Advertisement