Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading GPU on a Dell XPS 600

Options
  • 22-09-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Unfortunately my build plans are on hold for another 6 months at least. My wife's car went belly up and cost €2k to put back on the road so the PC fund was raided.

I have a Dell XPS600 which has a P4 3.4ghz CPU and 4GB of RAM. I'm not sure at this stage, but it's at least 5 years old.

I upgraded the GPU a few years back to a GTX 260. Would I get much gain if I upgraded the GPU again? I'm looking to extend the life as it's beginning to struggle with some of the more modern games. I don't want to waste my money if the GPU is going to be throttled by the processor.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No chance, that P4 is a major bottleneck even for the GTX260, let alone a newer card again.

There is no hope on salvaging that machine any further, it's time to just sell it on and build again.

If you're building a new machine though, you can save a few quid by carrying the GTX260 over for the moment and just focusing on the core of a new machine. The GTX260 will preform better than you're accustomed to with a better CPU.

Advertisement