Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction on amount of grades given- Myth or Truth?

• 22-09-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Okay so I need to clear this up. I have head from a few people that examiners can only give a certain amount of A's per class when correcting? I'm asking as the school I am in it would be very unlikely to not get a high B or A1 in the exam. (I don't want to reveal the subject as it may hint to my school)

Is this truth or myth? If the class does very well in said subject can only x amount of A's be given?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a myth.

The bell curve is used (as it is in many exam systems) to ensure no LC is 'better' than another year's LC.
    Correctors get as many or as few As as they correct. There is no target or limit.

Your school gets high grades because possibly
    a) they only take in literate high-achievers and direct children with special needs elsewhere
    b) they have excellent teachers who know the exam system inside out or
    c) they have excellent students who do the work they are given and want do do well.

Probably a combination of the above. It is certainly not due to any conspiracy by the SEC correctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I think it's more a national thing than a local thing. Someone could get a load of native Irish speakers' exams and the lowest grade might be a B1, whereas in another school there might be no more than a C. My English teacher had corrected history before though and when I viewed my scripts he told me that he'd always try to bring borderline grades up if he could, but mentioned that sometimes he'd be told there were too few A's, so there are some kind of limits or requirements. I heard honours maths was corrected 3 times this year because of a lack of A's, for example, and the reverse for Irish, but if everyone in your school is of a high standard they won't mark you down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

yeah its nationally they have to keep the grades the same. sure if every student was of A student in a class they couldn't give a D to one or two of them just to keep with the national average

Advertisement