Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 152 Live Thread *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well that's not what you said. You said:

Well I didn't want to double post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Zuckerkorn

lafors wrote: »
    Pity the dude who decides to pick on Rory macdonald for looking like that :) goes to show you can never tell anything about someone by the way they look!

False, I can clearly tell he's a prat by the way he looks.

Thought Bisping might have been more impressive over Stann. No interest in seeing him fight Silva other than getting to see him get a beating, which is something that a lot of people will want to see I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Zuckerkorn wrote: »
    False, I can clearly tell he's a prat by the way he looks.

Thought Bisping might have been more impressive over Stann. No interest in seeing him fight Silva other than getting to see him get a beating, which is something that a lot of people will want to see I suppose.

You seem like a nice person .......

blobby360 wrote: »
    You seem like a nice person .......

er, thanks. You seem like a ....... weird person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Same thing again. Mighty Mouse gets a few takedowns and does nothing with them. He wins the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Kurz wrote: »
    Same thing again. Mighty Mouse gets a few takedowns and does nothing with them. He wins the fight.

Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

2-2 till the last then mighty mouse takes it...

He slides right out of the belt lol

Great fight! Really enjoyed it!

Honestly had no idea which was it was going! Fair play to Mighty Mouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Zuckerkorn wrote: »
    er, thanks. You seem like a ....... weird person.

I AM !!!!

* licks fingers *

Jesus!

Kevin James gets in shape for Here Comes the Boom and between then and now puts all of the weight back on! How is that even possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Too many of those Corn Nuts

Official corn snack of the UFC

jesus go on!

Jones is so physically superior to every other LHW it's just not fair on the others. He'll dominate at HW too eventually. Scary dude.

Vitor looking so dangerous. Jones needs to be careful!

20-18 Jones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Vitor is just hoping he leaves out an arm or leg so he can get a hold of it.

Chavways wrote: »
    Vitor is just hoping he leaves out an arm or leg so he can get a hold of it.

..and with that, I'm off to bed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

And he's done. Impressive as ever

It was always gonna be Jones.

Honestly, there is nobody around who this chap won't smash! He's gonna be LHW king for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Pretty dissapointing but tbh it would have required a miracle for Belfort to get a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Id say that first round armbar was the closest anyone has been to finishing Jones. So Vitor deserved respect for that at least. Jones will make light of it but I think it was pretty tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    Id say that first round armbar was the closest anyone has been to finishing Jones. So Vitor deserved respect for that at least. Jones will make light of it but I think it was pretty tight.

Certainly didn't make light of it anyway. Although I did wonder if he was playing it up as worse than it was. No word yet on how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Another boring as hell Bisping fight. I really don't get the UFC's hard on for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished watching it now.
    I nearly wet myself when Vitor had that arm bar locked up! So disappointed he didn't get the win, but to be honest I never really thought he could do it. Jones is just too good.

Bisping is improving all the time. I was impressed by him this time. Good win for him.

The Dunham v Grant fight was awesome!

Decent event overall.

Is there anyone who can beat Jones though?! As much as I don't like him, I have to admit, he is just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Only watched the main event so far. I really can't see Jones being beat for ages. Is their anyone even left to give him a decent challenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Bones is a beast and I believe he is the best fighter we have ever seen

I don't care much for the hate he gets. I watch fights to see technique not to see who gives the most money to charity

• Advertisement

I don't think his skill levels match Anderson Silva, but he is definitely a beast. Can't see anyone beating him.

KOOTN: Swanson

SOFN: Jones

FOTN: Dunham v Grant

Word is Jones may have possible nerve damage to the arm

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

289eb0h.jpg

I don't think his skill levels match Anderson Silva, but he is definitely a beast. Can't see anyone beating him.

The major factor for bones is his wrestling

Plus he is still young and learning

Look I'm a major Anderson fan too. Just feel bones is a bit more special.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dunno, Jones looks more beatable every time I see him. He is indisputably a great fighter but he's gone from nigh invincible in my book to "has holes". He's certainly the best LHW at the moment but everyone seems afraid of him. Vitor would been better getting into a big brawl rather then let Jones play chess with him (and kick him repeatedly in the knee). Instead he um... *pulled guard*... eh, wtf? Yeah, thats where you want to be, under Jon Jones's elbow.
    Jones ground game looked iffy and he doesnt like getting hit in the face as we've seen before with Machida. I dunno if there is a LHW who can exploit those holes (while not getting put to sleep!) but there are holes.

Bisping deserved the win, wasnt impressive but he deserved it. He has nothing to finish Anderson with and will have to go the distance. 5 rounds in the ring with Silva is not something Bisping can survive imho.

Mighty mouse was great but somehow the fight wasnt all that entertaining. Maybe they should put them on the HW's backs, MasterBlaster style. I'd pay to see that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I really thought Vitor had it, when Jones picked him up but didnt slam him I thought he'd have to tap, Jones showed good heart to fight out of it.

Good win for Bisping too, showed some good all-round skills, Stann just needs to keep working on his takedown defence, he did well in the first round.

If I was Bispings manager I'd tell him to let Weidmann get the next title shot in the hope he beats Silva, then fight Weidmann for the title. Over 5 rounds he'd stand a chance to beat Weidmann with his point boxing style and takedown defence. If fights Silva next he'll get destroyed, he can fight Boetsch or Okami or someone in the meantime to pick up another win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

DeVore wrote: »
    I dunno, Jones looks more beatable every time I see him. He is indisputably a great fighter but he's gone from nigh invincible in my book to "has holes". He's certainly the best LHW at the moment but everyone seems afraid of him. Vitor would been better getting into a big brawl rather then let Jones play chess with him (and kick him repeatedly in the knee). Instead he um... *pulled guard*... eh, wtf? Yeah, thats where you want to be, under Jon Jones's elbow.
    Jones ground game looked iffy and he doesnt like getting hit in the face as we've seen before with Machida. I dunno if there is a LHW who can exploit those holes (while not getting put to sleep!) but there are holes.

Bisping deserved the win, wasnt impressive but he deserved it. He has nothing to finish Anderson with and will have to go the distance. 5 rounds in the ring with Silva is not something Bisping can survive imho.

Mighty mouse was great but somehow the fight wasnt all that entertaining. Maybe they should put them on the HW's backs, MasterBlaster style. I'd pay to see that :)

MMA kind of needs beatable champs. The process tends to go X fighter is top contender, X fighter wins belt, X fighter defends fantastically for 4 to 5 fights and everyone loves him, then people get bored and say X fighter never fought anyone, X fight has whatever unfair advantage, then we get a close fight and suddenly X fighter has been exposed, X fighter was never all that anyway and blah blah blah.

Of course Jones looks beatable. he has limbs, he has corotid arteries, he has a chin, he's a human and no man is unbeatable!

Although Jones looks like he could go through the foreseeable future and be good enough to come out the other end having avoided being beaten and beat everybody.

Again, the only guy left who he hasn't beaten is Dan Henderson! Any other names people can throw in there are the equivilent of forcing a square peg into a round hole! Names being forced into the equation because there is nobody out there who has earned their way to be considered the best LHW in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Just after watching it there and I really thought that Jones was going to tap from that armbar. All credit for him to fight through it though. Btw what exactly was the official verdict of the submission?

Joe Rogan called it a kimura (so did I when I saw it), Bruce Buffer announced it as a americana but Sherdog have it down as a keylock.

So what next for Jones? None of the current crop of Light Heavyweights would put in dint in him right now but he seems reluctant to move up in weight and rightly so IMO.

He is saying that he has unfinished business with Dan Henderson next but I'd prefer to see him in with Chael Sonnen just for the controversy and smack talk. Other then that the only matches that would be worth while would be a rematch with Lyoto Machida or to match him with another young fighter with similar hight and reach like Alexander Gustafsson or to a lesser extent Phil Davis.

For the record I seriously doubt Anderson Silva will move up to face him as he'd much rather fight GSP or continuing cleaning up at MW.

For me bones and Anderson is the fight of all fights

Closely followed by Anderson versus GSP

Then Dos santos versus bones

Any of them would sell major figures. The gap in weight divisions is massive though so would not really tell you who is best P4P IMO

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Jesus <3 Vitor.

Really can't believe that arm bar didn't win it for him.

Still bones is on another level entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Watched the main event again there. Have to say Jones's gameplan was superb.
    They knew Vitor would be out to take his head off asap so he surprised with the first takedown to nulify the initial 'possible' burst from Vitor. He showed what it takes to be a champion by not tapping to that arm bar too.

I think a Jones v Hendo match would go down pretty much the same as this one, I wouldn't be as interested in seeing it as I was before last night. The old boys need to do him in round 1 to win imho and he's wise to that as he showed last night.

Anderson v Jones is the ultimate fight for me. I think Dos Santos would be too strong for him and his striking and movement is too good, plus the extra range Jones has in LHW is not there against JDS.
    Anderson is an expert at analysing an opponents weakness and could pick holes in Jones game and win. At the moment pound for pound in those divisions its Silva > Dos Santos > Jones imo. Though I can only see Jones get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Raekwon wrote: »
    Btw what exactly was the official verdict of the submission?

Joe Rogan called it a kimura (so did I when I saw it), Bruce Buffer announced it as a americana but Sherdog have it down as a keylock.

A kimura has the fingers pointing towards the feet, an americana pointing towards the head, so it was an americana. Keylock to me is a more generic term and could cover either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

lafors wrote: »

Anderson v Jones is the ultimate fight for me. I think Dos Santos would be too strong for him and his striking and movement is too good, plus the extra range Jones has in LHW is not there against JDS.
    Anderson is an expert at analysing an opponents weakness and could pick holes in Jones game and win. At the moment pound for pound in those divisions its Silva > Dos Santos > Jones imo. Though I can only see Jones get better.

JJ still has a 7 inch reach advantage over JDS.

I'd still love to see that fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think a much more likely challenge for Jones would be if Daniel Cormier was able to drop down.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    I think a much more likely challenge for Jones would be if Daniel Cormier was able to drop down.

Jones would cream Cormier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jones would cream Cormier!

Yeah, but could he beat him in a fight?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

People seem to be going into the cage against Jones with either the wrong gameplan or else they're afraid of him and don't follow the plan.

The wrong way to fight Jones is to stay on the outside, or try to counter, or get into a clinch with him.

If you stay on the outside, Jones' orangutan arms will just reach out and bitch-slap you from the other side of the cage.

If you're trying to counter then you're sitting back too long and waiting for Jones to come to you which is a bad thing. He'll reach inside and slice you up with his devastating elbows. Or he'll kick you to bits like we seen last night against Vitor.

If you clinch with him, he's just too good from that position and will make shíte of you with elbows and knees and then take you down and it's game over.

Jones is beatable. But I can't see anybody capable of doing it at the minute.

In my opinion there's 2 ways to beat Jones.

He's beatable on the ground. The problem here is that it's going to be incredibly difficult to get him there and keep him there. Whoever attempts to beat him on the ground must be 100% sure their wrestling is up to the challenge.
    If you do manage to get him down, you must be on top where you need to unleash a vicious barrage of ground and pound to finish him.
    The last place you want to be is underneath Jones. If you are underneath, then you must have excellent submissions from the bottom and you'll have to push the pace and keep going for sub after sub to keep him preoccupied. You need to keep him focused on defending himself otherwise his ground and pound will be your undoing.
    If you can do it right, he is submittable. (Although to his credit, he didn't tap to that armbar last night so you may need to break his arm or leg to do it)

I think the most effective way to beat Jones is standing.
    You'll need lightening fast footwork to pull it off though. You have to get in close enough and let your hands go and get back out again. Push the pace and control the centre of the ring. He doesn't like being punched in the face and I reckon his chin hasn't been fully tested yet.
    If you can find someone with ko power, a decent chin, (to take the inevitable return of strikes from Jones), quick footwork and good head movement, I think this is the guy to beat Jones.
    At the minute, I think the one guy who comes close to ticking all these boxes is Hendo.

Edit; sorry for the long post.
    Didn't realise it was so long!
    (That's what she said :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Belfort really did not play to his strengths in that fight. He should really have went balls out for the knockout every opportunity he got. As some people have mentioned, some guys seem almost afraid to be in their with him.

I think Vitor would have been alot better off playing to his strengths and trying to finish him quick. If things didn't go your way his way he could have offered his back and get RNC'd and still save face. Much better than lying back taking elbows to the face anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Raekwon wrote: »
    Btw what exactly was the official verdict of the submission?

It was an americana. Also known as a keylock. So both of those are correct.

A kimura is also known as a "reverse keylock". The difference between the two is the direction of rotation.

threeball wrote: »
    Belfort really did not play to his strengths in that fight. He should really have went balls out for the knockout every opportunity he got. As some people have mentioned, some guys seem almost afraid to be in their with him.

I think Vitor would have been alot better off playing to his strengths and trying to finish him quick. If things didn't go your way his way he could have offered his back and get RNC'd and still save face. Much better than lying back taking elbows to the face anyway.

I don't see how offering his back to get RNC'd, in other words giving up when your 1 dimensional attack goes wrong, is better than being on the bottom and attempting submissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

There are three fighters I think can beat Jones. Struve Sonnen and Shogun.

Struve reach and JiuJitsu wise, Sonnen Wrestling wise and a fully fit best LHW EVER ( he really is ) Shogun would kick Jones legs to pieces.

Also didn't like Jones trying to break Vitors knees.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    didn't like Jones trying to break Vitors knees.

I agree. Seemed a bit nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yeah I'd like to see those teep kicks directly to the knee made illegal. Unnecessarily dangerous imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

didnt the lads say this move was a new move shown by jones, ive defo seen him do this in multiple fights?!!

Advertisement