Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 Accessories

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Ah ****e!!

Still haven't heard from 3 on whether I'm getting the phone this week either.... If I don't get approved I'll be here with phone covers, adapters and no phone.... And the buyer of my iPhone 4 not impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I'd highly recommend the Speck covers they've saved my mobile a couple of times! One time I drove home over Bray head with it on the roof of my car and it was still there...couldn't believe it!

This was the one I got http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/pixelskin-hd-for-iphone-5.html - it was free when the antenna problem arose during the iPhone 4 release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dades wrote: »
    I've bought third party stuff before only to be foiled by the lack of chip.

Does that chip apply to the USB cable as well as the dock connector, complete stones if it does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Tazium wrote: »
    Perusing the usual blogs this morning, hit on this article on Gizmodo. http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third+party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

"If you bought yourself an iPhone 5, and are looking for a cheap, third-party lightning adapter to save a couple of bucks, you might want to hold off. There's an authenticator chip in the official adapters, and third-party adapters probably won't work without it."

Potentially, 3rd party adapters may not work. So it's just an FYI for you guys grabbing the less expensive ones.

The lightning adapter may have just gone from a minor irritant to really bloody annoying. Having to spend on official cables and adapters will be a huge pain in the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Does that chip apply to the USB cable as well as the dock connector, complete stones if it does?
    No experience with the new stuff, only some older accessories. Definitely waiting to hear if people's iPhones are rejecting 3rd party stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've actually decided to use only 'official' cables this time around. The unofficial ones are usually crap and take a lot longer to charge your phone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Just ordered this http://bit.ly/UtwME7 from eBay. Clear hard case cover. Afraid to go down the bumper route in case the back casing scuffs easily which I suspect it will.
    At least with the clear cover the back of the phone is still visible.

L5 wrote: »
    Just ordered this http://bit.ly/UtwME7 from eBay. Clear hard case cover. Afraid to go down the bumper route in case the back casing scuffs easily which I suspect it will.
    At least with the clear cover the back of the phone is still visible.

Have to say that looks nice. Wonder how good the quality will be though. Hate those cases that feel really cheap.

Also for anybody looking for a cheap iPhone 5 dock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Looks like it applies to anything that plugs ino the 'lightning' connector, so yeah !

from techcrunch.com
    Another problem with Apple’s version of proprietary in the case of Lightning is that there are indications this version is much more locked down than previous versions, thanks to the inclusion of a so-called “authentication chip” identified by Double Helix Cables (via AppleInsider). According to Kyle Wiens of iFixit, who I spoke with earlier today, that means users should wait and get cables only from Apple itself or from properly licensed manufacturing partners – those knock-offs on eBay or elsewhere on the web are definitely a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Elessar wrote: »
    Normally I don't like covers on phones, especially ones this thin, but this phone needs it. My 4 tumbled maybe 2 inches on my bed last night onto the side of my macbook pro and now it's got a mark in the side! It wasn't even that hard a fall! The iPhone 5 really needs a case!

Plus I always "recycle" my phones with O2 and if there is any cosmetic damage that's 10% less you'll get.

Any ideas on good looking cases that won't add too much bulk?

I'm thinking the NUDE case which still shows off the phone.

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/NUDE_iPhone5

So apparently this is terrible quality and its almost impossible to push the buttons on the 5 when it's on. I'm gonna cancel.

But that means I still NEED a case and I don't know what to get!

Any ideas for something that doesn't take away too much from the look of the phone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So apparently this is terrible quality and its almost impossible to push the buttons on the 5 when it's on. I'm gonna cancel.

Any ideas for something that doesn't take away too much from the look of the phone?

Where did you find this out?
    I just ordered one this morning............ :(

Agh, looked at you tube for a review and it seemed good. Went for the clear one, and it was only €17.50 delivered, if i dont like the look of it, i'll send it back without opening :D

Thanks for the heads up too.

Do a search for desmay slight . It's being released this weekend. Thinnest cover on the market at 0.35mm, with a slightly cloudy back which allows the rear of the iPhone to be seen through it.
    They already have 4/4s versions out which going by most reviews are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Anyone not going to use a case ?

kceire wrote: »
    Agh, looked at you tube for a review and it seemed good. Went for the clear one, and it was only €17.50 delivered, if i dont like the look of it, i'll send it back without opening :D

Thanks for the heads up too.

How is your iphone5 holding up without a case so far? Any scuffs or scratches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

DubDJ wrote: »
    Also for anybody looking for a cheap iPhone 5 dock.

Only problem is...it will cost about €200 to buy all the equipment to make a $1 dock
    :cool:

For a few euro am will to take the risk that the non OEM accessories work...if not well...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

L5 wrote: »
    How is your iphone5 holding up without a case so far? Any scuffs or scratches?

Nothing at all, but im being extra cautious compared to when i did have a case on the 4. i can feel my ring on my right middle finger hit it a few times while texting or browsing, so that could wear it down if i was to hit it harder.

• Advertisement

Would you believe i got an email and my paypal refunded this evening because i bought through the USA store and they told me to rebuy through the Europe Store, but based on the comments above i will give it a miss.

Just bought one of these on Amazon for £5 with free P&P and then used Parcel Motel to get it to me :D

Would you believe i got an email and my paypal refunded this evening because i bought through the USA store and they told me to rebuy through the Europe Store, but based on the comments above i will give it a miss.

Just bought one of these on Amazon for £5 with free P&P and then used Parcel Motel to get it to me :D

Nice find! Can't say no at that price! Ordered. €10 all in after using parcel motel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭southafrica2010

Are there any docking stations available yet? I presume a simple adapter will work with new I phone 5 for all old docking stations or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Are there any docking stations available yet? I presume a simple adapter will work with new I phone 5 for all old docking stations or am I wrong?

AFAIR it will charge but not ipod out.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bistrosidecar

miralize wrote: »
    Compub (Limerick) told me that they dont expect cases to arrive for months. The providers will serve US & UK first, then the stock will trickle down to suppliers like CompuB

I used to work in CompuB and I can tell you that the guy is talking out of his arse. It doesn't work like that. When the iPhone 4 came out we had pretty much all the 3GS cases replaced within a week of its release here.

I wouldn't give CompuB your money though. The guy who who owns it is a jackass. If you've ever wondered why you get ****ty service in there it's because he pays ALL his floor staff 8.65 an hour - I know people who've been working there for 3+ years and are still on minimum wage. All this despite his rapidly expanding business. He also doesn't provide contracts for about 50% of his staff. Awful stuff altogether. Thank christ I got out of there.

They do have a great case selection though. Much better than the Belfast Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Ordered Nude Clear Case on Wednesday on eBay.

Free postage to Dublin via UK Parcel Motel and I got it this morining. Super service.

Phone due to arrive within the next 3hrs so hopefully it fits ok and buttons work fine.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Ordered Nude Clear Case on Wednesday on eBay.

Free postage to Dublin via UK Parcel Motel and I got it this morining. Super service.

Phone due to arrive within the next 3hrs so hopefully it fits ok and buttons work fine.

What do you think of the case?
    They cancelled mine coz i bought through the US store, never thought of checking eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

What do you think of the case?
    They cancelled mine coz i bought through the US store, never thought of checking eBay.

Looks and feels fine. Will see how it fits in the next hour or so hopefully.

Will post up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ikonic Edge are now taking preorders for their slim leather pouches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Three seem to have a selection of screen protectors and cases, picked up a Belkin screen protector.......

Advertisement