Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 Accessories

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

gnr2206 wrote: »
    I have the 30 pin adaptor (along with loads of other things) which are hard to get and im selling it for half of what apple are selling theres for!
    You have an item that is hard to get - but only available for pre-order. Sorry - does not compute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Cheapest place to get the 30-pin adapter (0.2M version)?

Have a lot of old cables. Cheapest I can find online is Apple;s website and its 39euro. At that price I may aswell pay for 49euro for the HDMI/AV cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Belkin released the first "Official" Lightning accessories today. One a car charger adapter and the second a dock. I like the look of the dock. But the headphone jack really is off putting. Woulda prefered they left it out. You add your own cable so it keeps it's price down somewhat. Check them out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

DubDJ wrote: »
    Belkin released the first "Official" Lightning accessories today. One a car charger adapter and the second a dock. I like the look of the dock. But the headphone jack really is off putting. Woulda prefered they left it out. You add your own cable so it keeps it's price down somewhat. Check them out here.

I think the headfone jack folds away

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I know that, but it doesn't half turn people off purchasing the actual item.

Not for me. I never give a crap about the product price. All I care about is the TOTAL price of Product + Postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Does anyone know of a good fm transmitter that I can plug my own USB cable into?

It's obvious now that anything "official" is going to rip us off.

$29 + postage for a USB car charger? Give me a break. No wonder Apple are charging so much for the micro USB adaptor - they know someone can buy any USB accessory (like a car charger) for a few dollars/euro so they have to make it prohibitively expensive for them to use a cheap one in conjunction with their adapter.

The sooner the third party market cracks the connector the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

mad muffin wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good fm transmitter that I can plug my own USB cable into?

I had an idea the other day a FM transmitter that is bluetooth..

Anyone heard of anything like that?

afatbollix wrote: »
    I had an idea the other day a FM transmitter that is bluetooth..

Anyone heard of anything like that?
    Isn't that just adding another layer of complexity onto the process?

You'd need to "pair" your iPhone with the FM transmitter instead of just plugging a minijack in. In the confines of a car it seems somewhat unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Most blue tooth devices automatically connect. All you have to do is be in range and press play. ( Have you ever used a car with a blue tooth radio?)

I have one set up in all the hi fis in my house. I can move room to room if I want With out plugging out and in cables also I can keep it in my pocket and shuffle songs..

• Advertisement

I guess there's a taker for every gadget. :)

I do use a BT car stereo to stream music/calls. TBH, they're so cheap these days people should consider updating their headunit (if possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Anyone had any success with cheap cables/adapters yet?

brophs wrote: »
    Anyone had any success with cheap cables/adapters yet?

Got this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/110959199449?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_916wt_942

Arrived today after a few weeks waiting. 12.52 euro shipped but i got it for 8.50 a few weeks back.

Works perfectly and seems durable and good quality.

Got this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/110959199449?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_916wt_942

Arrived today after a few weeks waiting. 12.52 euro shipped but i got it for 8.50 a few weeks back.

Works perfectly and seems durable and good quality.

I'd rather pick up an official one at that price. Probably consider it at €8 but at €12.50 it's too close to the €19 for the official cable.

If you needed a few of them it could be worth it.

Have two already now, so too late for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Calraigh B

Anybody seen an fm radio receiver for iPhone 5 knocking around anywhere?

Getting a lightning adapter on top of radio adapter just makes me want to weep.
    May as well be carrying this.

Spending my data allowance on radio is starting to grind my gears.

I had this case finally delivered to me yesterday (took a couple of weeks).

I paid $1.88 (with free shipping) and the case is fantastic! Came within a whisker last month of buying the "Slight" case for $23 plus shipping, which would have been a disaster.

Seriously, anyone looking for an ultra thin, unobtrusive iP5 case - just buy this! Obviously it won't offer huge protection but that's not what these type of case is for.

Clicky:
    iphone5case_Medium_thumb.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Got this in the post this morning after ordering on Sunday. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150926158519#ht_898wt_1037

Excellent for the money, feels like there's no case on the phone and even has a slight lip to protect the screen.

Duff wrote: »
    Got this in the post this morning after ordering on Sunday. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150926158519#ht_898wt_1037

Excellent for the money, feels like there's no case on the phone and even has a slight lip to protect the screen.

Whats it like at the bottom where you plug in the charger? A lot of cases leave that section of the phone wide open which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Same on this, wide open. Wouldn't be my biggest concern, though.

Duff wrote: »
    Pffft. £2.98? Welcome to 2006. :pac:

I dropped my iPhone 5 yesterday and scratched the front screen. Luckily I had a screen protector on. But it was a relatively small fall from my lap when standing up. But scratched the protector with two hairline type scratches. Just glad I had the protector on or it could of been my screen. Ordered another two anyways just waiting for them to arrive. Until then I've to deal with two very annoyingly noticeable scratches on th screen.

Started using premium protectors this time around and find them a lot better than the cheap eBay ones. They fit a lot better and come with less air bubbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I dropped my iPhone 5 yesterday and scratched the front screen. Luckily I had a screen protector on. But it was a relatively small fall from my lap when standing up. But scratched the protector with two hairline type scratches. Just glad I had the protector on or it could of been my screen. Ordered another two anyways just waiting for them to arrive. Until then I've to deal with two very annoyingly noticeable scratches on th screen.

Started using premium protectors this time around and find them a lot better than the cheap eBay ones. They fit a lot better and come with less air bubbles.

I haven't used a screen protector since the iphone 4. The glass is extremely tough and I've yet to see either a 4 or a 5 with any scratch on the glass. I used my 4 for 2 years with no screen protector and screen was in mint condition when I sold it

L5 wrote: »
    I haven't used a screen protector since the iphone 4. The glass is extremely tough and I've yet to see either a 4 or a 5 with any scratch on the glass. I used my 4 for 2 years with no screen protector and screen was in mint condition when I sold it

I'd still rather have the protector just in case. Bit of extra piece of mind for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the 5 is my first iphone without a screen protector. cant believe the difference. I genuinely have missed out on the retine display on my 4 after the 3GS due to using screen protectors etc

Most people see the scratches on the protectors and think that those scratches would of appeared on the phone but in fact, they would not of.

The GF has a protector on hers though, she just says she'll leave it till it falls off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Between eBay (for the charging cable) and miniinthebox.com for the cig lighter yoke, can charge the phone in the car for €7

Beats the €20 odd Apple etc will want when they get around to selling them.

Where on ebay did you get a charger for less than 7 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i too haven't used a protector since my 4, the screen once wiped clean looked as good as new and the fingerprints just wiped off easily,

debating whether ill need one for the 5, or a case i dropped the 4 a few times (once down a tiled staircase) and it survived screen and all with only a cheap case on it.

but the 5 looks and feels so pretty as is i don't want a case :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement