Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally

• 22-09-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can anybody give me feedback on what it is like to live in corbally? Don't know limerick. Will be working in castletroy but rent there is very expensive.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

My Aunt lives there, nice part of town in general, close enough to walk into town, neat and tidy, though a bit surburban if you were wanting the 'country' feel....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

All depends on where you are looking. Westbury is a nice enough spot, close enough to town if you want a nice walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are travelling to and from work during rush hour times then going from Corbally to Castletroy and back could be taxing especially during school terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Melion wrote: »
    All depends on where you are looking. Westbury is a nice enough spot, close enough to town if you want a nice walk.

Westbury is a nice stretch of the legs into the city center but it's on a bus route if no car
    bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are travelling to and from work during rush hour times then going from Corbally to Castletroy and back could be taxing especially during school terms.

So true, taxing may be a little harsh :) I live in Corbally and work in Castletroy but travel outside of rush hour so it's not an issue.

Mill Road, Roseville, Park Gardens & Lanahrone avenue areas would be my preferences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

bazz26 wrote: »

If you have a bike though you can go from Corbally to the University avoiding roads altogether along the river, it's a lot quicker than driving in rush hour.

Corbally is a fine area to live though it is large enough, there are the large of Irish Estates, Westbury, Shannonbanks, Mill Road. Grove Island is technically part of Corbally too, as is Janemount Park, Abbeylock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

If you have a bike though you can go from Corbally to the University avoiding roads altogether along the river, it's a lot quicker than driving in rush hour.

Corbally is a fine area to live though it is large enough, there are the large of Irish Estates, Westbury, Shannonbanks, Mill Road. Grove Island is technically part of Corbally too, as is Janemount Park, Abbeylock...

+1 for cycling

Corbally is a great spot except for rush hour traffic :(

I live in the area, and its true re the traffic...my partner works in Castletroy but leaves at 8am to avoid it!! I would suggest either going through the short cuts by bike or be prepared to leave early to avoid traffic....its a nice area to live, usually, shops/pubs all located locally, weekends can mean a lot of teens hanging about with nothing to do but Shannonbanks/Mill Road/parts of Westbury are lovely and quiet....best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Brian728

My friend lives on the Mill Road and have to say it seems lovely. Silverbrook, Suil na hAbhann and Springrove seem to be particularly nice estates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a nice area in general, but personally I'd avoid Abbeylock, Shannon Banks, and Westbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

It's a nice area in general, but personally I'd avoid Abbeylock, Shannon Banks, and Westbury.

Care to explain this one? I lived close for years and now in Westbury, and there is no reason whatsoever to avoid either area. I'd "avoid" castletroy, raheen also if I went off half the heresay :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Why avoid Shannonbanks? again I am hearing complete and utter rubbish spoken by people who obviously don't live in Shannonbanks, don't know anyone who does and are speculating in a very harmful, negative fashion! I live in Shannonbanks, I'm originally from the countryside and I have no problem with the place....now and again teenagers act up especially over the Summer hols/times of exam results but it is seriously out of order to suggest its a place to avoid!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Depends on the part of Corbally you're looking at. The Mill Road is pretty swell. The speed bumps have done well to reduce the crazy drivers tearing up and down the road. There is a really handy shop just before the nursing home. You're really not far from the city. I can't speak for anyone else, but going down that road, with trees and stone walls either side, I find myself forgetting I'm still in the city.

There is also Scoil Íde and St.Munchins if you are considering various schooling options for kids and they're great to walk to and from.

Besides a newsagents, a nursing home and two schools, you're only going to see houses. At least in Westbury/Shannon Bans you have the Tescos there with the chipper and all kinds of things but the Mill Road is devoid of pretty much anything which should be noted. Having said that, if you have a car/bike, things aren't far. The route to town is nice and short and there are some lovely walks around theer too.

Just thought I'd chime in. Can't really speak too much about anywhere else mind you :p Gotta stick to what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bef

nothing wrong with shannonbanks live there myself ,beautiful river at the end of the estate nice people,never had a problem...never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Would appreciate enlightenment - what is wrong with Abbeylock? I got an opportunity to rent from a friend there. Been there a couple of times and noticed nothing suspicious, but then I was not there during the night...

Hmm - so for a family with kids Abbeylock is best to avoid?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hmm - so for a family with kids Abbeylock is best to avoid?

Ignore the post above. Your man is a regular wind-up merchant. Wait for someone who actually knows the area to give you a decent answer before you make your mind up.

Thanks - will wait. I've been to the area and it looked pretty usual for a housing estate.

I visit Abbeylock on a regular basis, can't say I've seen or heard anything untoward, probably a bit of footfall through the estate to get to the walk by the canal which has been known to attract a few heads but haven't heard of anything major, think it's a reasonably quiet spot,

It wouldn't be top of my list but that's just me, probably a bit of a snob :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I live in Abbeylock and have had no problems with the estate. As with everywhere there is a few teenages running round during the summer etc but other than that I haven't seen anything going on.

If MichaelR wants to PM me work away and I'll tell you what I know bout the estate but I have loads of neighbours with kids & as I've said previously I haven't noticed any probs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Roadend wrote: »
    Care to explain this one? I lived close for years and now in Westbury, and there is no reason whatsoever to avoid either area. I'd "avoid" castletroy, raheen also if I went off half the heresay :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I lived in Westbury for a few years. I also lived on the Old Park Road.

The latter is a good area, as are the Irish Estates, and the Mill Road. The rest of Corbally is a bit mixed in my view.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by "a bit mixed"?

MichaelR wrote: »
    What do you mean by "a bit mixed"?

Some good, and more not so good.

There have been a significant number of rehoused families placed in various parts of Limerick city, including Corbally. Some of these people are bad eggs, and their presence and behavoir has a visibly negative effect.

I hope that's clear enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Some good, and more not so good.

There have been a significant number of rehoused families placed in various parts of Limerick city, including Corbally. Some of these people are bad eggs, and their presence and behavoir has a visibly negative effect.

I hope that's clear enough for you.

I'll second that. I am from Corbally myself and it has always been a nice area without too much trouble. However there have been a number of people relocated there over the past few years and certain areas have suffered from their presence.

Thanks!

The question is "how negative" - annoying (noise etc), badly influencing youth (drug dealing etc), or outright dangerous (break-ins, attacks)?

Also from Corbally & Henry has it about right

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

I wouldn't say outright dangerous but drugs are definitely more prevalent, as is anti social behaviour and gangs of youths who can be intimidating for more respectable youths, the tracksuit tucked into the socks brigade.

On the positive side of Corbally I would not hesitate in recommending Mill Road, Irish Estates, Park Gardens/Rosendale, College/Janemount Park or Shannon Banks as places to live, imo the dodgy areas would be Carrig Midhe, Abbeyvale/Abbeylock and newer areas of Westbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Dragging up an old thread here, but I'm a newbie to limerick. Is clonard in westbury an OK area or to be avoided. Any info appreciated.

who_ru wrote: »
    Dragging up an old thread here, but I'm a newbie to limerick. Is clonard in westbury an OK area or to be avoided. Any info appreciated.

Clonard is grand, have family living there so I'm there reasonably often, there was a few shots taken at a house there a couple of years back (someone owed someone a few bob I believe) but in fairness there is hardly a suburb left that hasn't been affected by some kind of crime at some stage
    I'd say its pretty quiet, I'd have heard if it wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Irish Estates is now mostly populated by moneyed, vulgar, ignorant types. Poorly constructed houses, also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

chicorytip wrote: »
    Irish Estates is now mostly populated by moneyed, vulgar, ignorant types. Poorly constructed houses, also.
    LOL. New money is it?

Advertisement