Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

LOL. New money is it?
    Every limerick dwellers worst fear, an influx of bourgeois feckers. Shudder. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all, sorry to drag this up but better than starting a new thread. Anything change in Corbally in th3 years since this thread? Better or worse area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Nope, all grand here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Irish Estates has been neglected by the local authority in comparison to other areas such as the Mill Road. Roads and footpaths are generally in a poor state of repair. There is a lack of effective traffic management infrastructure for an area with a high population of children and the wooded area adjacent to Shannon Drive - which was once a unique and beautiful asset - has sadly been allowed to deteriorate into a weed infested eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

bef wrote:
    nothing wrong with shannonbanks live there myself ,beautiful river at the end of the estate nice people,never had a problem...never!

Flooding and problems getting insured right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Which part of Corbally futureguy are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Seems to be a lot of neglect to roads out that way alright especially when you go over the border into Clare. Is it a case that they are between a rock and a hard place with neither council willing to do the required repairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Jofspring wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of neglect to roads out that way alright especially when you go over the border into Clare. Is it a case that they are between a rock and a hard place with neither council willing to do the required repairs?

Why would Limerick repair Co Clare roads/footpaths?

Clare Co Council is a large enough area, and I'm sure they get good money from the estates on the Clare side, but it goes into a central pool I imagine. Some Clare County roads are in poor condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Why would Limerick repair Co Clare roads/footpaths?

Clare Co Council is a large enough area, and I'm sure they get good money from the estates on the Clare side, but it goes into a central pool I imagine. Some Clare County roads are in poor condition.

That's kind of the point I'm making. I'd say 90% of the people living on the Clare side, shop in Limerick, work in Limerick and do most their leisure activities in Limerick but it's Clare that technically have to foot the bill for works out there. Clare Co.Council wouldn't exactly be in a rush to sort it out. Wasn't their issues with Westbury before where neither Council were willing to commit to upgrade works? Someone living out there might know a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

The county border is middle of the bridge. Both Westbury and Shannon Banks are in Clare so nothing to do with Limerick Council.

I'm not sure how the general election boundaries are now but a couple of elections ago I remember the posters changing other side of the bridge. Westbury/Shannon Banks residents had different TDs to Corbally.

• Advertisement

The county border is middle of the bridge. Both Westbury and Shannon Banks are in Clare so nothing to do with Limerick Council.

Utterly ridiculous. Boundary needs to be changed to reflect reality.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

**Mod Note: Thread back on track please. Drop the border discussions as not what the thread is about. Thanks

I disagree slightly YOP. People asking about the area, others commenting on state of roads etc and we're just pointing out that the area is serviced by two different councils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

yop wrote: »
    **Mod Note: Thread back on track please. Drop the border discussions as not what the thread is about. Thanks

It's totally relevant, to be fair.

If anybody wants to know more about the Corbally area it's important that they know that there is a particular situation there where two local authorities are in charge of it, and this has led to very significant problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Two problems with Corbally.

1. Traffic - This might get alleviated by the North ring road.
    2. Lack of proper shopping facilities. Garvey's is decent, but too far for what it is from upper Corbally/Westbury, and the Mini Tesco is totally avoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

Hook and Ladder a great addition to the area of late.
    Definitely a shortage of shops but not many suitable sites to locate any new ones one would think.
    Can't see the Northern ring road having a huge impact on traffic at peak times. The main issue is that the Corbally Road is the only way into town for a large portion of the city and surrounding countryside.

There is a total lack of any meaningful traffic management in Corbally and throughout the city though.
    Wardens are happy to police expired parking tickets but zero enforcement of parking on double yellow lines or double parking.
    Parents regularly bring the Mill Road to a standstill by parking illegally across the road from Scoil Ide which then in turn brings the Corbally road to a halt as a stationary queue forms onto the Mill Road.

Utterly ridiculous. Boundary needs to be changed to reflect reality.
    It wouldn't make sense to do so purely on the basis that many local residents happen to travel across the border to work or attend places of education. This is a common daily occurence in many areas of the country.

chicorytip wrote: »
    It wouldn't make sense to do so purely on the basis that many local residents happen to travel across the border to work or attend places of education. This is a common daily occurence in many areas of the country.

No, but it makes sense because it is part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

The Irish Estates has been neglected by the local authority in comparison to other areas such as the Mill Road. Roads and footpaths are generally in a poor state of repair. There is a lack of effective traffic management infrastructure for an area with a high population of children and the wooded area adjacent to Shannon Drive - which was once a unique and beautiful asset - has sadly been allowed to deteriorate into a weed infested eyesore.

There has been alot of work done on the roads and paths over the last 6 months. There has been constant roadworks there and damaged paths have been repaired pretty quickly. A County Councillor and TD live in the Irish Estates so it's pretty well maintained. There has been a lot of work done by the river too so all in all the area looks well. There is a high population of older people living there so pretty quiet but younger families are starting to move in. It's within walking distance of primary and secondary schools and shops. Prob a 20 min walk to the city centre. You can walk or cycle to Castletroy along the bank of the river. Otherwise peak traffic is very busy.
    If I was to recommend anywhere I'd say Carraiglea - newish and young housing estate. Quiet area, no through traffic, lots of green spaces for kids to play. Same sort of distance to city and Castletroy, schools and shops.

No, but it makes sense because it is part of the city.

Nonsense. The city boundry ends at Athlunkard Bridge. Westbury, Shannon Banks etc., fall under the jurisdiction of Clare County Council.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote:
    Nonsense. The city boundry ends at Athlunkard Bridge. Westbury, Shannon Banks etc., fall under the jurisdiction of Clare County Council.

And I am saying it shouldn't. They're part of the city whether you like it or not.

And I am saying it shouldn't. They're part of the city whether you like it or not.
    I have no strong feelings either way but your assertion defies logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I have no strong feelings either way but your assertion defies logic.

I'm from Westbury and always considered it part of Liemrick City, as those everyone living there and in Shannon banks - I have always written Limerick as my address and i've always had my mail delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I'm from Westbury and always considered it part of Liemrick City, as those everyone living there and in Shannon banks - I have always written Limerick as my address and i've always had my mail delivered.

Do you think you are from County Limerick or county Clare?

Not to sound like a mod but to put a pin in this, Shannon Banks/Westbury although suburbs of Limerick City are technically in Co. Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Not to sound like a mod but to put a pin in this, Shannon Banks/Westbury although suburbs of Limerick City are technically in Co. Clare.

They are in County Clare. But obviously the boundary should be moved because it makes no sense for two local authorities to manage what is effectively one urban space.

Alternatively, and it would make more sense in my opinion, the local authorities of Counties Limerick and Clare should be amalgamated into one large authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

osarusan wrote: »
    Do you think you are from County Limerick or county Clare?

I'm from Limerick - We moved to Westbury. 95% of people living in both estates would say they are from Limerick when asked. I spent 18 years there and never once met anyone who considered either estate to be Clare even tho yes, technically they are in Clare. They are all Limerick people who moved to the area and who work/attend school/socialize in Limerick every day.

Advertisement