Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a USB 3 port important in buying a new laptop?

• 22-09-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

As above

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it would be nice to have, not the end of the world to not have it. You won't run into compatibility issues by not having it, it just means you'll have to wait a bit longer when moving files

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

No, unless your planning on transferring 100's of gigabytes between a portable hard drive daily and your pc daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I would say if you can afford it, go for it. It will be very handy for the likes of transferring movies or songs or backing up the pc or future mobile phones. It'll just make everything run much faster. It the computer is new it should already have at least one port supporting USB3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Can you get something to get a Laptop 'USB 3 port/USB 3.0' compatiable?
    ie: upgrade it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

No I don't think so, they're soldered right onto the logic board, if the laptop doesn't have USB3 it's probably not one of the newest out there so you may not be getting the fastest processor/memory for you money. what is the laptop you're looking at?

• Advertisement

For some laptops you can buy an ExpressCard adapter for USB 3.0 but more and more laptops are now leaving out the ExpressCard slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Unless you are doing backups, 100gig plus daily its not
    important, might be important for a professional designer ,doing alot of backups, i find usb 2 is ok ,fast enough.
    i,d you ,d need to buy a external drive that has usb 3 port to get the full speed increase.
    AVERAGE storage on mobile phones is 4gig, i dont think it matters for phones.
    by the time you need usb 3 for phones , you,ll have a new laptop or pc.

Advertisement