Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light over Lucan

Options
  • 22-09-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was in Lucan looking at the sky last night at approx 11.15 when I saw a bright blue/white light appear and disappear. It was almost directly overhead,appeared for about a second, disappeared for 2/3 seconds and reappeared again for another second. I don’t know if it was moving or stationary as the first time I saw it was out of the corner of my eye. I’m not sure how to gauge the brightness except to say that it was brighter than any of the other stars but not as bright as say, Jupiter. I’ve seen meteors, Chinese lanterns, iridium flares, the ISS and sundry other identifiable lights in the sky but I don’t know what this one was. The sky was clear with no aircraft or satellites visible. Any ideas what it might have been? I checked Heavens-Above and there was no iridium flare over Lucan at that time. I’ve read that meteors can appear as pinpoint lights if they are seen head-on rather than streaking across the sky – any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

plenty threads about this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Airplanes from Baldonnel. I've seen them from my cousins house which is the far side of Naas. They usually have there headlights on a lot of the time so the look very bright until they turn and you can then see the flash of the lights on the wings. I've also seen them disappear or dim behind clouds and reappear.

Or possibly Upper Atmospheric Lightining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Yogi Bare

Thanks for the input Sindri but I don't think it was a plane. I've spent a lot of time watching planes and satellites at night just so that I would be familiar with them and not confuse them with other phenomena. I had a pair of 10 x 50 binoculars with me and I did check the area for planes but didn't see anything.

Advertisement